Search for content in message boards

Report Question

Report Question

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 2:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Any way to make FTM give you a report of indivuduals with no parents? Or one parent? Yes, someone has said that you just look at your pedigree view and there they are but I'd rather not have to hunt for them.

Baring that, any GEDCOM freebies that would do the same?

Re: Report Question

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:15AM GMT
Try this

Run a Parentage report for all individuals

Those children without any parents will have a blank in the relationship column.

If there are only a few you can simply eyeball them, but you can export (Share) the parentage report as a CSV file and open it in a spreadsheet

Then simply sort the worksheet by the relationship column (ascending), which should show all the blanks (no parents) at the top of the spreadsheet.

John D

Unrelated Orphan Records? Or Everyone Without Parents?

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:51AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 3:53AM GMT
Looking for people without parents is different than looking for "islands" of people not tied into your main tree.

Looking for people without parents will be dominated by a list of spouses of people in your tree (or top-of-line ancestors of spouses) - which I don't think is probably what you are looking for.

FTM has a report, called the "Extended Family Chart" which will include all of the island of people related to a person, but you still have the problem that you would need to run that report for each person in your database to find "unrelated islands" or "Orphaned Islands" of people

There have been programs over the years that will identify all unrelated people to a base person in a gedcom. (That is, it will give the opposite of the Extended Family Chart - everybody NOT related to a person.) I believe one used to be called gedanalyze or some such title. This was maybe 10 years ago or so. If downloads are still available, the program should still work, as gedcom hasn't changed much in the past 10 years.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 11:41AM GMT
Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish? No matter what line you trace back you will come to a person with no parents. This is true of any genealogy study ever done.

Curt

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 2:43PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 4:24PM GMT
He may be looking for his top-of-line ancestors, or islands of unrelated "orphans" in his file.

I use a Custom Fact called "Top of Line Ancestor" for my top-of-line ancestors. I also have a custom fact for "Top of Line US ancestor", as some of mine have been traced to Europe. You can then run a custom report, or filter for them in the Index.

A strict "no parents" report will mostly consist of spouses, or parents of spouses whose parents have not been entered, and be basically a report most people would not find very useful.

A top-of-line ancestor report of a selected person would be a neat report. I'm going to make that an enhancement request. The more that join me in doing so, the more attention it might get.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 4:14PM GMT
John D,

Great idea! I had not thought of exporting to Excel. That should make what I'm doing pretty easy.

Curt,

My tree is expanding, and I'm just looking to generate a list of people as starting places for further research.

Silverfox,

I have seen that approach, but that seems like some extra work, as well as if you we're to forget to turn that fact off on an individual once you were to locate someone further up the line.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 6:59PM GMT
The question becomes where you want to focus your attention. I try to include the parents of spouses of siblings of my direct ancestors. I then do research on my cousins, descendants of those siblings and try to include the parents of their spouses. I am not interested in going back any further. I also am not interested in spending a lot of time trying to identify the parents of those spouses. If I ran your report it would include all those individuals I do not want to spend time on.

The pedigree chart will include only my direct ancestors and will show me the last person on each line. That is where I want to focus my attention. I can export the people in the chart, load them into a new file, and create the CSV report John suggested. I now have a relatively short list of the people I am most interested in researching.

Curt

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 8:05PM GMT
At this point my interest lies in taking my direct ancestors as far back as possible, hence trying to find "end of the lines." I've been using some secondary sources that trace colonial lies back into the medieval period (specifically royalty and nobility) so I end up with a lot of lines.

At the same time I've been working on collecting info from all the descendants of my grandparents and compiling that into some kind of work I wan to assemble for my only living grandparent.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 11:26PM GMT
There is no “end of the line”. Just can’t find them.

Curt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic