Search for content in message boards

native american

native american

Posted: 17 Nov 2000 4:39PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2001 9:05PM GMT
HI,
Looking for any smith's with native american that came from N.J.

Native American-Smith-NJ

Posted: 17 Nov 2000 6:41PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 3:17PM GMT
I am related to a Henry Smith born 1821, Cape May County, New Jersey. He married Sarah Miller Cartwright in Pleasant Plains, Illinois. I don't have any information on his parents though. I don't know what you mean by native american smith's in NJ. Please explain.

native amer

Posted: 18 Nov 2000 3:28PM GMT
Hello.
I am just trying to find out is there is any native american blood on the smith side of my family.
thanks

native amer smith

Regina (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2000 10:07PM GMT
Could be I have sone. A Mollie m a John Smith and had Nellie Smith. They all have some degree of Indian, but don't know too much yet. Nellie and Mollie are from Smith Mills, Henderson County, KY. John Smith killed a white man and either disappeared or changed his name. Nellie only remembers being very very young and calling him Don Don, because she could not speak clear. But apparently daddy couldn't either. Supposedly he was full.

Regina
Posted: 19 Nov 2000 4:26AM GMT
I'm not sure i have very little on the smith side of the family.

native amer smith reply

Regina (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2000 4:49AM GMT
What makes you think if there could be indian? For us it is that we have her stories plus she looks totally indian in her pictures. Plus they settled into an area where indians traveled on the trail of tears.

Your best bet is to talk to whomever you can and then start collecting birth and death records and finding them on the census. Look for old letters, stories, whatever.

Regina

Grandmother?

Helen (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 9:37AM GMT
Grandfathers name Garfield Smith married Livonia Long 1906 she was Native American, she was born in MO 1885 some where around MT Grove we think.

not mine but

Regina (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 10:06AM GMT
Well don't think any are mine. But sounds like that could be some from the Trail of Tears. You may try looking at the Dawes index at Nara website or in Ancestry.com. Try collecting the death records or cemetary records and birth certificates and look at the census'. Start from now back. The name sounds familiar so if I run into it again I will post it for ya here.

Regina

Smith Native Blood

Posted: 20 Nov 2000 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2001 3:45PM GMT
My Great-Great Grandparents, John Smith b. 1813 and Judy Potts b. 1819 had Native Blood. John Smith was born in Kentucky and Judy Potts was born in Indiana. I do not know, as yet, where their family originated from.

Also my Great-Great Grandfather Samuel H. Scott b. 1843 in Rising Sun, Indiana (part of Ohio up until 1801) had native blood.

I believe they were both Cherokee. What degree, I do not know.

If you would like to email me:

db-scott@usa.net

Debby Scott
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 6:17PM GMT
Thanks for the info. All I know as of now is on my side of the family they came from N.J.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions