Search for content in message boards

Stalnacke family in Norway

Stalnacke family in Norway

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stalnacke
I am starting this thread to see if anyone has any Stalnacke family links in Norway. I already have a couple branches figured out but I wanted to see if anyone else had anything to contribute. Maybe we can help each other out.

Re: Stalnacke family in Norway

Posted: 23 Feb 2012 7:58PM GMT
perhaps you may want to post what you have to let people know your line

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: Stalnacke, Tornak
My stalnacke line come from the Jukkasjarvi area of Sweden. Some of them moved to Finland, some Norway, and of course some came to America. The ones that I have found came to the Vadso, Tana and Alta areas of Finnmark norway. I have a Isaac Zachariasson Stalnacke born in 1830 Turtola, Finland that came to Tana and changed name to Tornak. I also have a Erik Joransson Stalnacke born 1779 in Jukkasjarvi that came to Talvik, Norway. I have a Johan Johansson Stalnacke born 1854 in Svanstein, Sweden that came to Vadso and changed name to Johan Erikson Stalnacke. He and his family then moved to America.

I know there are tons more but I haven't been able to track them down. Hopefully someone has some connections too. I have a website that tells of Stalnackes going here or there but I am looking for someone who has actually connected and know of where they settled in Norway.

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 12:17AM GMT
Your problem: In that period of time, the "surname" of persons in Scandinavia was NOT a surname as we know it. The naming system of Patronymics was in effect. For example, you quote a name of "Isaac Zachariasson Stalnacke." When he was born, he received a "given" name of Isaac. His second name, "Zachariasson" was the name of his father, "Zacharias" and the added "son," meaning son of Zacharias. Then, because there were so many Ole Olsen, Magnus Magnussen, etc., they were given a third name. This name was usually their address, their farm name. Stalnacke (Stålnacke) could have been the farm name, sometimes the name of the parish, or community. Anyone having that "address" may not have been related to any of the others. My Swedish ancestors name was Magnus Eriksson Byström, meaning a farm by the stream.

Once a Stålnacke moved from Sweden to Finland or Norway, then that name was changed to their new address. But, some did not, but that was very rare. To find such a name in Norway, as below, does not mean they were related.

Here is a Johan Stålnak in the Altens Parish in the Finnmark Fylke (similar to our Counties but different) in the 1865 Census. He is living on the Transfarelven Midstrand Farm.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbas...
He is age 54 was born in Sweden and is married to Elen Saraksdatter born in this parish. They have a son Johan Johansen, age 2 (The age of persons are based on what age they would be in 1866).

The problem, those persons with the surname of Stålnak/Stalnake/etc. are NOT necessarily of blood lines, but simply were born in the same area.

Reference:
Click on Readings, Norwegian surnames:
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/jborgose.htm
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions