Search for content in message boards

Monroe Moses Grimes family , Pike Co to Coffee Co., Al.

Monroe Moses Grimes family , Pike Co to Coffee Co., Al.

Posted: 18 Sep 2002 9:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Oct 2005 1:14PM GMT
Surnames: Grimes, Barnes, Cotten, Daughtery, Dyess
Does anyone have any info on this family line

thank you for any updates :-) as you can see this is all i have ,
Descendants of Mary Barnes
1 Mary Barnes b: November 1866 in Al.
.. +Monroe Moses Grimes b: September 1863 in Al. Father: Allen J Grimes Mother: Penina Cotton
........ 2 Lonie Grimes b: December 1882 (d. Coffee Co., Al.?)
+ Gussie Daughtery * m. 10/21/1904
........ 2 Lemma Grimes b: May 1887
........ 2 Arcus M. Grimes b: March 1889
............ +Madie Dyess b: Abt. 1897 Father: Charlie Quiller Dyress
........ 2 Charlie Grimes b: September 1893
........ 2 James B. Grimes b: May 1896
........ 2 Exa Exer Grimes b: November 1898
........ 2 Gussie Grimes b: Abt. 1904
........ 2 Essie L. Grimes b: Abt. 1907
............ +Hyatt
........ 2 Leon Grimes b: 1910

HAWHILL CHURCH CEMETERY
NAME BIRTHDATE DEATH DATE
Grimes, Gussie June 23, 1891 March 19,1960
Grimes, Lonnie Dec. 25, 1883 June 24,1958

Christine Grimes Thacker

Re: Monroe Moses Grimes family , Pike Co to Coffee Co., Al.

Posted: 9 Feb 2004 5:21AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2006 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Grimes, McDurmont
I have come across an Exer F. McDurmont buried in Chestnut Grove Cemetery in Coffee, Alabama. Her birth date was 7 Nov 1898 and she is buried with her husband Claud McDurmont who was born 13 Feb 1877 and died 29 Nov 1949. Then in this same Coffee, Alabama area, I sent for a death record of Charles Harcial McDurmont--hoping that it might have given me some clues to Allene McDurmont's family that I was trying to fill in the blanks for. It did list parents for Charles as Exer Pearl Grimes and Claud Buron McDurmont. I believe that his parents are the people Exer and Claud from the Chestnut Grove Cemetery. This Exer McDurmont's birthdate matches your Exer Grimes's Nov 1898. I will keep lookinig through my files for additional details. Unfortunately, I only photocopied names from the book (Coffee County, Alabama Cemetery Records Call # 976.134 v3h compiled by E. Howard Hayes) I was searching for at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and not your names. I have one page that had the beginning of Grimes'. It had an Ammie Louise Grimes, born 18 April 1896 and she was buried in Danley Cross Roads Church Cemetery, Located at Danley Cross Roads in Coffee, Alabama. If you would like me to do a look up again in this book--let me know. Also, I have not done a thorough 1900 or 1910 Census search for this Coffee County looking for this Exer Grimes. I found Claud with his parents in Victoria, Coffee, Alabama in 1900. He was not married to Exer at this time. This Claud and my Allene are brother and sister. I hope this is helpful to you.

Posted: 9 Feb 2004 1:18PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2005 1:14PM GMT
Surnames: Grimes
Thank you for the update, I do not find the Ammie Louise Grimes in my Grimes info , do not know which Grimes she may have married .
Thanks again
Christine

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 1:23PM GMT
Surnames: Dyess
I am the nephew of Madie Dyess Grimes, but I hardly know or remember her. My father's name was Alfred (Pete) Dyess, the last child of Charles Quillen Dyess, born on January 1, 1917 in Coffee County, Alabama. Jack is probably the name of the town. I am interested to know more about my Aunt Madie and her family. Please email to FoliageOct@aol.com

Thank you,
George F. Dyess
Silver Spring, Maryland & Lady Lake, Florida

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: George Dyess
My mother was buried at Chestnut Grove Cemetery in Coffee County, Alabama 2 1/2 years ago. It was a long, winding road in the country from Troy, Ala so I could not remember the way there. I plan to visit this cemetery soon so I need an address and direction to that cemetery if you can provide for me. I live in Silver Spring, MD

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 3:42PM GMT
Hi, sorry but I do not have any info on Madie, other than that she married a Grimes, I do not even have any children listed for them.
I have been trying to find the connection of the Pike,Wash., Coffee & Dale Co. Grimes.
Good luck.

Posted: 26 Sep 2007 1:20PM GMT
According to cemetery book Chestnut Grove Community and Methodist cemetery are just over the line in Coffee County. which is west of highway 125. If you get down to the area I am sure someone can help you. I can tell you that if you come from Montgomery to Troy on 231 to the stop light at Burger King and turn right on highway 87 and follow it until it turns into 167 just below Springhill which is about 10 miles below Troy you can find it. On 167 you will go less than 7 miles to Clowers bridge and after you cross the bridge there will be a road turning back to your left and it will take you to Chestnut Grove and there are 2 churches a methodist and a baptist.

Re: Chestnut Grove Cemetery, Chestnut Grove, Ala

Posted: 26 Sep 2007 8:07PM GMT
Many thanks for your reply to help us out with the direction to my husband's mom's cemetery. The last time we went in a line to that area, we could not memorize with many turns.

Is Chestnut Grove a dying town? We did not see a town there, but some rotten shacks.

Re: Chestnut Grove Cemetery, Chestnut Grove, Ala

Posted: 26 Sep 2007 9:57PM GMT
Chestnut Grove is just a small community. As you will learn, this area is full of small communities.

Re: Carolyn Grimes

Posted: 26 Sep 2007 11:54PM GMT
Surnames: Grimes
I happened to have a school classmate many years ago named Carolyn Grimes. We went to school in ST. Augustine, Florida. She moved to Florida from Maryland, but Maryland was not her birthstate since her daddy was in the Army. I could not recall where it was. She has now been living in Macon, Georgia for a long time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions