Search for content in message boards

De Groot/ Vanden Heuvel

De Groot/ Vanden Heuvel

Tim & Jean A. Retzlaff (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2002 12:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: De Groot/ Vanden Heuvel
We are looking for info on Joseph De Groot and Allegoda Vanden Heuvel family.Children are Frank,Peter,John,Anna Marie,Justina,Katherine,Theodore,Marie,Henry,and Simon.Any info would be a great help. I think some of them lived in Outagamie Co.
Jean & Tim

Re: De Groot/ Vanden Heuvel

Posted: 29 Jun 2002 11:08PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2006 12:25AM GMT
Do you have a time frame. That is a large data base.
Robin

Posted: 2 Jul 2002 3:48AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2002 3:17AM GMT
Sarah Allegonda Vandenheuevl married Joseph Degroot September 31, 1886 at St.Johns Church, Little Chute Wisconsin. They had 10 children--first born was 26 July 1887.
Last was 1 Jan 1910.

Posted: 9 Jul 2002 6:08PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2002 4:25PM GMT
I think there are Vanden Heuvel's on the board or working at the Bank of Little Chute.

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 2:24AM GMT
Eric, you wouldn't happen to be connected to Henry G. Weyenberg who married Mrs. Peter Shafer in 1902???

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 4:44PM GMT
I am decendant of Henry G. Weyenberg who was married to Anna Bergmans and later Elizabeth Carney. Henry and Anna had a son, Martin Jacob Weyenberg, who was married to Nellie Maas, their son Russell George Weyenberg is my father. Henry G Weyenberg was the son of Theodore Weyenberg.

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 8:53PM GMT
I am very much interested in communicating with you about Henry and his wives. Do you have or know where to find pictures of him and Anna/Elizabeth? Mike
vndnheuvelgenes@aol.com

eric (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2002 1:09AM GMT
I do not have much to give. I will be in the Fox valley in mid August for a wedding and to visit, I live in Los Angeles. I will be seeing all of Weyenberg's then and can probably find out more info and get some photos.

Posted: 14 Jul 2002 4:44PM GMT
Eric, Thank you. I am going to Little Chute myself in October. I live in Texas now. My mother lives in Little Chute. I would be willing to meet with anyone who might have pictures. My interest in Henry and his wives is two fold. His first wife Anna Bergmans was the daughter of Peter Bergmans and Theodora Hartjes. I have been working in the Hartjes line for some time. I would love a picture of Theodora as well. Her brother Christian is my ancestor. But, Henry's second wife Elizabeth (Carney) Shafer holds a lot of interest in different way.
My grandmother, Gertude Hartjes, came to Little Chute in 1902 on an Orphan Train from the New York Foundling Hospital in New York. This was an Orphanage who had made contact with various parishes across the USA, mainly the Mid-west. Thier purpose was to place Orphaned or abandoned children in homes where they would be welcomed and treated as one of the family. Contact was made by an agent of the home who spoke with the parish priest, who consequently announced from the pulpit on Sunday that there were children in need of homes. As a a result of people coming forward, children were then matched and sent on a train. A child could basically be ordered so to speak. If you wanted a little red haired boy because the rest of the family was red headed but all girls, you could order one so to speak.
A letter was sent from the Orphanage to the perspective parents telling a liitle bit about the child they were to recieve and when to expect them. The childfren were loaded on the train in New York. Anywhere from 10 to 300 children would be sent out. Many stops were made along the way and children were greeted by thier adoptive parents at each stop. Papers were signed and the train moved on. In Chicago, the children bound for Wisconsin transferred to a Chicago Northwestern passenger train and continued north. On the train of October 1902, were my grandmother and 2 other little girls bound for Little Chute. As the train approahed Little chute, the nuns who were the caretakers of these children, readied the children. Washing them up and putting them in a clean dress. My grandmother was a little over 2 at the time. On each of the childrens clothing was pinned a tag with thier birth name and birth date written. It was a big event and the townspeople showed up and the band played. I am sure the children had no idea what was going on, but I am also sure the prospective parents were excited. So the children got off the train and the agent called the names of the prospective parents. Mr. Anton Van Tilburg and Mr. P.J. Jansen recieved their children as expected. But when my grandmothers turn came, her prospective mother was not there. Again the name was called, and again no answer. So, the agent knew he could not take this child back with him. He noticed by this time that the liitle girl had made acquaintence with one of the members of the band. The agent asked if he was interested in taking this little girl home. His wife was there and they made the decision to take this child home. They had been married 4 years and had no children. So my grandmother went home with Albert and Magdelena Hartjes. She did not find out until two weeks before her wedding in 1924 that she was adopted. When she went to get her marriage licensce, there was no birth certificate. She asked the preist about this, thinking she would not be able to marry without it. He then informed her she was adopted. She married my grandfather Martin Vandenheuvel, June 25, 1924. By the way, the woman who had requested the child from the New York Foundling was Mrs. Peter Shafer. It turns out, that on the day of the arrival of the train, she and Henry were down at the courthouse applying for a marriage license. They were married 2 weeks later on October 15, 1902.
I am writing a family history and would loive to have some pictures and information about Henry and Elizabeth for detail about my grandmothers story.I would love to meet with anyone willing and possesing pictures of them.
Thanks, Mike

Posted: 8 Aug 2002 9:34PM GMT
I am anxiously awaiting your return from the wedding in August. I will be there Oct 2-7. If I can meet with anyone for pictures, I would be happy to. Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic