Search for content in message boards

William Spurlock, b. ca. 1792-1794, GA. and Sarah Byrd (Bird) Spurlock

William Spurlock, b. ca. 1792-1794, GA. and Sarah Byrd (Bird) Spurlock

Posted: 11 Oct 2006 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
William Spurlock has been cited as a son of John Lowell Spurlock and Sally Aven (t) Spurlock and a grandson of Drury Owen Spurlock, b. 1715, New Kent Co., VA. This William Spurlock has raised considerable interest among Spurlock researchers mainly for his assumed wayward ways, including marrying a very young girl, Sarah Byrd (Bird), when she was only 13 and he being 58. Some researchers contend that William may have been married several times but two have been cited. For this message, we'll pick up William in the 1850 Barbour Co., AL., census. William was enumerated in dwelling 226, Division 23, 9-28-1850. In his home were himself, 58 yoa; Sarah, 13, b. in GA.; Daniel Byrd, 52, and Nicey Byrd, 49; both born in GA. William and Sarah had been married for less than a year, 8-2-1849,in Barbour Co. William and Sarah would have three children over the next few years, John, Mary and Columbus.

Spurlock researchers have submitted information to various sources stating that William Spurlock died prior to 1860 since he was not enumerated in the 1860 Barbour Co. census living with his wife. This may not be accurate.

In 1860, Sarah Spurlock was listed in the home of Jeremiah Bird, 62 yoa, b. in SC., dwelling 154, Eufaula PO, Barbour Co. Also in the home were Sarah's children, John, 8; Nancy, 4; and Columbus, 2. Jeremiah Bird is most likely Daniel Byrd in 1850. William Spurlock is not in Barbour Co.

However, a William Spurlock, 66 yoa, b. in Ga., is listed in the home of L. H. Holmes, dwelling 934, Lawrenceville PO district, Henry Co., AL., in the 1860 census conducted on 8-20-1860. L. H. Holmes, 31 yoa, b. in NC, a farmer with $6,000. in real estate and $14,515. in personal property. In Holmes' home were wife, Mahala M., 31, and children, Sarah V., William B., Lewis H. and Mary M. William Spurlock was working as farm labor with $30. of personal property.

Lawrenceville, in Henry Co., is about 20 miles south of Eufaula in Barbour Co. I believe the William Spurlock in Henry Co, is the husband of Sarah Byrd (Bird) and working away from home on a large farm to support his family. I have not researched the relationship of Holmes to William Spurlock but it would not be unusual for a close friend, or relative, to give an old man a job.

Living nearby in dwelling 954, home of Mary Skipper, 76 yoa, b. in NC., is James Spurlock, 23, born in AL., working as a farm laborer. Henry J. Carter, 33, may be the head of this household. He has a wife and four children . Listed under James Spurlock is Jane Hendy, 15, b. in AL.; her role in the family is unknown.

For you Spurlock researchers, look into this and give your opinion. Post on the board or e-mail to flspur@aol.com.

Re: William Spurlock, b. ca. 1792-1794, GA. and Sarah Byrd (Bird) Spurlock

Ken Haas (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2006 10:18PM GMT

1880 census - Barbour County, Alabama, Eufaula Township' Household 660 -

John Spurlock. head age 27
Sarah Spurlock 40, mother
Columbus THORN 19, half brother
Sallie Cufoy 14, half sister
Jerry Cufoy. 8, half brother

It appears Sarah (Bird) Spurlock had children by two other men since her marriage to Wlliam Spurlock.

I will check the William you found against Sarah's husband to compare ages,. etc

We have no real evidence that old John (lived to age 112) of Barbour was a son of Drury.

This might interest you. HH # 706 B in Henry County, Ala. was Thomas Spurlock 21, born Ala, with the Jesse VICKERS family.

- Ken

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 9:04PM GMT
Surnames: Spurlock, Parmer, Grantham
I just recently realized that William Spurlock probably did not die in 1858 but was living away from his wife Sarah in the Holmes home. My husband is a gg grandson of Sarah Ann Spurlock through her daughter Sarah Jane Parmer, wife of John Andrew Grantham. I have a picture of Sarah Jane Parmer Grantham and a copy of their family bible for any Spurlock researchers who might be interested.

Posted: 3 Feb 2007 7:50PM GMT
I appreciate your reply to my posting on William Spurlock. As you know, William has been cited as a son of "old" John Spurlock of Barbour County, AL. Another son is Solomon Spurlock and "old" John most likely had another son named John. I am interested in William and any of his descendants since any information is important in unraveling William's previous families. I'm beginning to believe that "old" John Spurlock may be the father of my g-g-grandfather, Ransom Spurlock, who was born on Oct. 25, 1807, in Washington County, GA. Ransom, William, John and John H. Spurlock served together in the Creek Indian War during 1836-1837, while living in Barbour County. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence to support my theory.

Any information contained in a family bible about the Spurlocks and Parmers would be extremely helpful.

You may e-mail me at Foster Spurlock, flspur@aol.com, or post on the Spurlock Message Board.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions