Search for content in message boards

Member Connect Queries

Member Connect Queries

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 6:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am wanting to understand how Member Connect works

I know of a member researching a family connected to mine, who has created an Ancestry member tree. Through his tree I have his Name, Member Name , and Tree Name and have sent him an email through Owner Contact as listed on his Tree.

My queries are
- Does Ancestry retain a record of the email I have sent, for my records, and where can I find it?
- Why is my email not listed on Recent Member Connect Activity, Home Page?
- And, why am I not able to search for him via Ancestry Member Directory search?

Re: Member Connect Queries

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 9:01AM GMT

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 10:31AM GMT
Thank you for your response.

However, I have not yet been able to figure how the link you have provided answers any of my three queries.

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 11:20AM GMT
If you contacted the other member "Anonymously through Ancestry's online Messages feature," a copy should be in your sent mail.

Click on the green envelope icon at the top of the page, then on "see all messages" then on "sent."

Some members do not have their profiles set so as to be easily findable.

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 1:55PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2013 1:59PM GMT
You access your member connect mail from the opening page of Ancestry. In the top right hand corner there is a green square, a green leaf, username, upgrade, and "get help".

When you click on the green square a drop down menu comes up with recent contacts. Go to the bottom of the pop up and click "See all Messages". A new window will open with both incoming and out going email. There are basic folders on the left Inbox Sent, Delete and crate new folder.

I have created folders for each of my families.

As said above you can request a copy of your mail when you compose a new message.
From the main page you can search for contacts, by clicking Collaborate. From the drop down memu, select "Member Directory" Because the member name appears on all trees, I use the tab "Basic Information" as I can put the member name in the search window and find the tree owner.

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 4:42AM GMT
Thank you BurgessDonnelly and keithnuttle for your helpful responses which answer my query regarding whether Ancestry retains a record of emails sent, and where these can be found.

I find that I AM able to search for my contact via Ancestry Member Directory Search Basic Information, although the Member Name is not recognised, only the tree owner name.
My email to my contact is not listed on Recent Member Connect Activity, Home Page. Perhaps this is because this page relates only to incoming, not outgoing, messages?

It was suggested that I can request a copy of my email to a member when composing a new message. How is this done?

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 1:58PM GMT
I have you checked in the sent folder in the left column?

If it is not there, you may have aborted the send

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 2:04PM GMT
The message you sent, privately, will not be on the "Recent Member Connect Activity, Home Page." That is just a listing of where others have accessed, used, saved, etc., the same material (records/photos/stories) you have.

As Keith and I have both mentioned, it should be in your "sent" folder.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 11:21AM GMT
Thank you again BurgessDonnelly and keithnuttle.

Yes, the message was located in the "sent" folder.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions