Search for content in message boards

Axel Ekstedt and Emma Keller - South Africa

Axel Ekstedt and Emma Keller - South Africa

Posted: 27 May 2007 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ekstedt and Keller
Am looking for help in finding info on my ggg grandparents. Axel, came from Sweden and Emma came from Germany. Emma's mother's name was Carolina and she is buried in Krareel River, Eastern Cape,South Africa. We know every little about either. I am not sure if I am even spelling the surname "Ekstedt" correctly. They lived in Berlin, Eastern Cape,South Africa and might have even married there. Eventually they moved to the Transvaal. All the family docs where burnt in a fire, so we have to start all over again with very little to go on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Amanda

Re: Axel Ekstedt and Emma Keller - South Africa

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: Ekstedt Keller
Hi Amanda,

Do you have any dates at all for Axel or perhaps a middle name?

You get 6 hits on the emibas CD seaching for Axel Ekstedt.

- Axel Fred (could be Fredrik) Wilhelm/Vilhelm, born 1833, emigrated 1864 to Denmark.
- Axel Rudolf Ekstedt, born 1859, emigrated 1881 to the UK.
- Axel Wilhelm, born 1856, emigrated 1881, it doesn't say to where he emigrated.

The rest of them (3) all went to America.

Let me know and I'll search again, but more details will be required.

Anna

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 12:38PM GMT
Hi Anna

Thanks for your help. I have only been able to find a Axel Jacob Ekstedt on the South African Archive website. I think this must be him as there are no other Ekstedts named Axel mentioned anywhere.This Axel died in 1909 in Barberton. This is why I think it is him as my Ekstedts went to Barberton during the gold rush.

Thanks again for your help
Amanda

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 3:12PM GMT
Surnames: Ekstedt Keller
Hi Amanda,

Your Axel might have changed his last name to Ekstedt when he came to South Africa. There are no records of him on the Emibas CD, although there might be on the latest version from 2006.

Do you have his birth data? Approx year of arrival to South Africa? What was his occupation?

Its just a lot easier to search when you have a bit more information.

Anna

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 3:48PM GMT
Hi Anna

He was a Hide Tanner. He must have also worked on the Gold mines in Barberton. I have no other details but am trying to obtain his marriage cert. and will post his details when I find them.

Thanks again for all your help.
Amanda

Posted: 29 Jun 2007 6:45PM GMT
It seems that Axel was actually NOT his name!!! His son was Axel so there must be some family connection to Axel, but he is ref. to as JACOB E EKSTEDT. Seeing as his one son is Edward, I think his second name might be EDVARD? so full name of JACOB EDVARD EKSTEDT. He was born in 1848.

Thanks for your help
Amanda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic