Search for content in message boards

Drimoleague; Keating, Cahalane, Collins, Dempsey, McCarthy,O'Donovan,Regan, Mahony

Drimoleague; Keating, Cahalane, Collins, Dempsey, McCarthy,O'Donovan,Regan, Mahony

Posted: 12 Jun 2004 4:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Mar 2005 10:34PM GMT
I'm interested in all these names.
Jack

Re: Drimoleague; Keating, Cahalane, Collins, Dempsey, McCarthy,O'Donovan,Regan, Mahony

Posted: 7 Oct 2004 3:26AM GMT
My Paternal Greatgrandmother was Nancy Regan, she is buried near Dripsey, Co Cork. Nancy married Edward Looney. Edward left for NYC in 1906. I believe he was from Ballincollig Co Cork. May Great Aunt Catherine Looney married Daniel Collins in Co Cork, they are buried in NYC. Ever hear of them?

Re: Drimoleague; Keating, Cahalane, Collins, Dempsey, McCarthy,O'Donovan,Regan, Mahony

Posted: 7 Oct 2004 2:15PM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2005 10:34PM GMT
Sorry. No Match

Posted: 9 Oct 2004 1:06AM GMT
I have Mahoneys as ancestors from county cork

Posted: 20 Aug 2006 12:06AM GMT
Do you have details?
jkeating2@comcast.net

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 12:16PM GMT
I see this is a very old post but I will give it a try. My gr gr gr grandmother was Ellen Mahony, married Jeremiah O'Neil. A wales 1881 census suggests that there were also Cahalane/Keoghan/Cohane relatives, and a Jeremiah Mahony "cousin". Another name is Deasy. They seem to have come from southern cork. Any ideas? Sue

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 2:56PM GMT
Hi Sue, I see you are still chasing down Ellen Mahony = Jeremiah O'Neill. Since I last saw any of your posts it sounds like you have scraped up some more clues. Good job!

Cahalane and Cohane have a strong presence in Kilmacabea civil parish. I am working on that tithe applotment right now. I have a direct Cahalane ancestor myself from that area. Mahony and Deasy are somewhat tougher, as they pop up everywhere.

If you have specific names (Christian and/or surname) I'll be happy to look through the Kilmacabea tithe data. I also have the TA for the parishes of Myross and of Castlehaven which I have not yet transcribed.

Kilfaughnabeg (which I have online) has a clump of Keohanes in Kilfinnin.

If you have any information on the relationship of a Cahalane to Ellen M or Jeremiah O'N please specify that too. (Somebody was a baptismal sponsor, witnessed a wedding, or was a cousin, aunt, uncle, etc) I may have Cahalane contacts who might be able to tell me something. I can always email and ask.

You want something looked up in TAs, message me through my profile.

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 12:36AM GMT
Jack,

I have Collinses out of Lissane/Tooreen (the Humphreys) and McCarthy-Sowney out of Lissane. That's my Granddad's side.

My Grandmom's Collinses were out of Cullomane East (just west of Drimoleague), and before that Adrigole at the north end of Castlehaven parish. Daniel Collins married Mary Mahony. Odd thing is, the Mahonys who showed up for that wedding and sponsored the Cullomane Collins children were the same names that showed up in a branch of the Humphreys in Lissane. In Lissane, there is a Denis Collins = Margaret Mahony marriage.

Mahony names: Denis, Timothy, Daniel, Kean(Cain), Catherine or Kate. I suspect they were from Bredagh and am about to ask Skibbereen Heritage to investigate.

I have other McCarthys probably out of Garryglass, Drinagh.

My Cahalane is probably out of Kilmacabea parish.

Please let me know if you think we have anything in common.

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 11:20PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
Skibbgirl,

Do you have a male McCarthy relation who has taken a yDNA test? If not have you considered this? The McCarthy Surname Study is seeking to identify yDNA profiles (ancestral haplotypes) for each of the various sept names and more recent agnomens. This is an ambitious aspect of the overall project, just starting out, but slowly we are making progress. We really need at least three members for each agnomen or with a strong claim to descend from one of the more ancient septs. We will then compare the similarities of these profiles to one another and against the ancient genealogies. We have already identified two main McCarthy groups, each with a common ancestor in the first millenium A.D.; these two groups account for 50% of all McCarthys: the other 50% are more disparate, but so far indications are that they include descendants of chiefs of some septs, and if that is so the ancient genealogies cannot be correct. If you are interested or want to know more, please contact me. E-mail address provided at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/McCarthySurnameStudy/def...

Posted: 25 Nov 2011 11:09AM GMT
Hello, thanks for your note.

Although some likely exist I am not in touch with male McCarthy relations unfortunately.

It's very difficult to get people interested in taking a DNA test; they are expensive and some people appear to be afraid of DNA tests.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions