Search for content in message boards

Sync Failed-An error occurred while "Preparing data to be downloaded from Ancestry"

Sync Failed-An error occurred while "Preparing data to be downloaded from Ancestry"

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 4:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Since yesterday afternoon 2/24/13, I keeping getting this error: The last sync failed. An error occurred while "Preparing data to be downloaded from Ancestry". You may want to restart FTM and try again later.

Anyone else? Hate this, I had a lot of updates to sync.

Re: Sync Failed-An error occurred while "Preparing data to be downloaded from Ancestry"

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 5:44PM GMT
Well, first of all, did you try again today?

Do you have a good FTM backup? I've learned to take several a day and restoring from backup has always so far enabled me to resume syncing. I know others do not have that experience but mine has always worked.

There were problems with the website yesterday which were fixed by night.. So first, try again.

Then I'm sorry I am out of ideas.

Re: Sync Failed-An error occurred while "Preparing data to be downloaded from Ancestry"

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 6:29PM GMT
Be careful! On 2/18/13, I got a similar message: "The last sync failed. An error occurred while "Analyzing file...".
You may want to restart FTM and try again later." When I tried to restart, my local file was gone! I did proper searches of my entire computer, including a time search in case the file was renamed somehow. Nothing! Now I do manual syncs only, and only immediately following a backup. In addition: I will never use the online version to restore my file (that's what I tried first) - too many things were lost as compared to my local file because the online version can't/doesn't handle (e.g., media categories, and links via the media window to people and facts). Syncing worked for me for a long time, but losing a local file is scary!

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 9:30PM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2013 1:06AM GMT
Back on 17 Dec 2012 I had the same thing happen with FTM2012 and my online tree. Kept trying to sync and then had to do a quick cancel when info being brought into FTM was being corrupted. Finally bit the bullet and unlinked FTM and my AMT (Ancestry Member Tree). Ever since have been unable to download my AMT into FTM. Fails about an hour into the download. About two weeks ago I even stopped being able to generate a GEDCOM. It quits after 48+ hours at the 65% complete mark. Today I called Customer Support and a ticket entered about the GEDCOM issue and, to address the sync issue, I was asked to submit my last Synced file (an ftm backup file from 18 Dec). Because it's 34G I was told to connect to http://www.ge.tt/ site to upload the ftmb file. Only problem is that I can't connect to that site using any of the four major browsers (IE8, Safari, Chrome and FF). Am now between a rock and a hard place.

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 9:49PM GMT
I keep getting the same message today too. Lost my FTM tree last night when trying to sync the trees. Today I started a new tree from a backup, when tried to sync them the same message came up about being corrupt. What's going on? Don't know if I should download tree from Ancestry or not. Read negative comments about doing that.

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 10:40PM GMT
I've been getting the same error for about two months. My hard drive crashed but I had a backup on an external drive. I restored from the backup but haven't been able to Sync since. Ancestry's response, like yours was to upload my tree to them. At this point I don't care any more. I only synched to allow a relative to view my tree.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 2:15PM GMT
Thank you for the help! I did try again yesterday to no avail.

I don't do manual FTM backups since I backup to my external drive regularly but I will start doing that now. Thank you for the reminder. Ugh, this is my largest tree :(

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 2:16PM GMT
I was thinking the same thing that you said about online not having what the FTM has. But then my online tree has tons of websites. Ugh, will have to think hard about what to do next. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 2:19PM GMT
Thank you for sharing your experience. I've got to really think hard about my next step. Please update if you got the upload to work.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 3:03PM GMT
My 'new' tree - uploaded from a backup - is working fine, so far. By the way, a downloaded tree doesn't have tasks, either! Also some notes - I forget which ones.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions