Search for content in message boards

Tracing my Johannsen Ancestors a request from New Zealand

Tracing my Johannsen Ancestors a request from New Zealand

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 2:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Oct 2012 5:35AM GMT
Surnames: Johannsen, Johansen, Hansen
Hello, I have hit a brick wall in tracing my great great grand parents, the only information I have is:
Johann peter Johannsen b. 1803? Spouse, Helena Hansen b. 1808?
Their son: Peter Christian Johannsen b. 1841? Possibly clues from:

Nordhackstedt, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein; or, DENMARK

Spouse: Anna Christina Johansen (maiden name) b. 1846 in Germany. Her father Hans Johansen?
Marriage date: 1869 in Germany?,

They migrated to New Zealand about 1874?

There is a link to our FamilyTree in my profile, please do have a look; there is all the associated documentation and photos that we have available.

Their family and life in Europe (Germany or Denmark) and migration records are the ones I lack and have trouble tracing. Mum always said her grandfather was Danish, but all documentation I have here indicates German ancestry. I have catalogued their life in New Zealand and have included additional facts for you in case the references help.

Their children (born in New Zealand) were Henry and Anna Caroline, Peter then married Harriett after Anna Christina’s death and had four more children: Clara, Arthur, Eva and Albert.

If there is anyone who has any information or assistance would be so appreciated, thank you in anticipation.

Even if you cannot help me, but if you think I can help you in records from New Zealand, then please just send me a message and if I can I will.

Kind regards Steve

Re: Tracing my Johannsen Ancestors a request from New Zealand

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 1:44AM GMT
Can not assist, but suggest.
Have you been able to obtain death cert of the
parents and children? - a great source of info and
any newspaper obituaries?
GJ

Reply: Tracing my Johannsen Ancestors a request from New Zealand

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 3:03AM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2012 4:49AM GMT
Hi, thanks for your response, I have gleaned everything I can from the New Zealand side of the documentation. There appears to be more phonetic spelling than accurate i.e. the town was shown as ‘Northaesksted’ a posted response gave me good direction on that. Regards Steve

Re: Reply: Tracing my Johannsen Ancestors a request from New Zealand

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 4:15AM GMT
Here is the family in the 1845 census living in the poor house:

All persons in the household

Sydslesvig, , Nordhackstedt, O. Linnau, , Armenhaus, 14 F1, FT-1845

Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Johann P. Johannsen 40 Verheir. Bewohner des Armenhauses .......??
...?? L. Hansen 38 Verheir. Bewohner des Armenhauses s. Ehefrau .......??
A. Cath. Johannsen 11 Unverheir. Kind .......??
Cath. M. Johannsen 9 Unverheir. Kind .......??
Anna Chr. Johannsen 7 Unverheir. Kind .......??
Peter Chr. Johannsen 5?? Unverheir. Kind .......??
Jürg. P. Johannsen 2 Unverheir. Kind 5??

Found it here:

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/dddform_uk.asp

Brian

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 4:42AM GMT
That is really intriguing, thank you for doing that search for me. Peter Christian’s age seems about right, the counties and parishes are a bit of a puzzle for me, so I wouldn’t know how to begin a search in the Dansk Demografisk database myself; so the information about the siblings may lead me to a more productive search in Ancestry.com - I really appreciate you taking the time, you have given me a few more clues.
I think based on what I have seen so far though with my searches for the Johannsens, that the only hope I have of success will be someone over there who has a gap in their family tree where Peter Christian and Anna Christina left to go to New Zealand, it may happen (like winning lotto). But never the less I will persevere, it’s been an adventure. Thank you again and kind regards Steve.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 8:17PM GMT
From the information that was listed, have a look at
this site.
I have not checked for yr family.
This site does have some great info listed and is
made available by a professional/paid genealogist.

Rootdigger - Emigrants Database - Genealogy Schleswig-Holstein
www.rootdigger.de/
Genealogical research in Schleswig-Holstein, about emigrants from there.Finding of ancestors. Database of 45000 - 50000 emigrants/immigrants.Treatises ...

-perhaps you may find something.
Cheers
GJ

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 3:27AM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2012 3:27AM GMT
Hi again, thank you for that valuable information I will undertake a few searches and hopefully...............
kind regards Steve

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 8:06PM GMT
Hi

Try to contact the archive in Germany:

katja.isaack@kirche-slfl.de

Give the info from the census from year 1845.

Maybe they can help for a fee.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 8:27PM GMT
Thank you for taking the time, all clues and tips are very welcome. Cheers Steve

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 12:16AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Johansen, Nielsen
Nordhackstedt is in what is today northern Germany, about 10km south of the Danish border.

https://maps.google.com/maps?mid=1349827010

Prior to the 1860's this area of southern Schleswig was mostly Danish property, though always up for grabs with Germany.

Try the online Danish census database and see whether you can find entries for your Johannsens.

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/kiplink_en.htm

or go directly to autocheck of database

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/dddform_uk.asp

Select "Sydslesvig" from County list
Select "Nordhackstedt" from Parish list
Enter "Johannsen" in the Name box
and click Search

The resulting list of names is organized alphabetically by the person's given name, so scroll down to the "Johann" entries. There is a "Johann P Johannsen" listed for the 1845 census with an age of 40. Click the "show household" button and you will find other names that seem to match the one you are interested in.

This online database has been of great help to me tracking down some of my Nielsen relations in that part of Germany. In fact, there was a Hans Adolph Johannsen (b. 1765 in Rabenholz) who married Anna Catharina Nielsen (b. 1762 in Rabenholz), my 4th great grand aunt. Maybe there are some family connections with your Johannsens?

Cheers,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic