Search for content in message boards

Children listed in birth order

Children listed in birth order

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I synced my tree from Ancestry to FTM 2012 the birth order of the children are not in order? Is there a way to put them in order without going through each family? Thanks!

Re: Children listed in birth order

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 5:40PM GMT
No.
This is a defect in the program. It should default to birth order; or there should be a global option.

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 7:19PM GMT
Thanks - so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for an update?

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 8:27PM GMT
There is a place to request fix but I forget where it is.

To me it is very odd because if you run a DATA ERRORS REPORT one of the errors it will look for is "children not in birth order." SO If the program recognizes that "children not in birth order" is an ERROR why doesn't it default to that? The program itself is making the error happen.

Posted: 23 Jul 2013 11:51AM GMT
Anything new with this Family Tree Maker 2012 problem yet??

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 1:56AM GMT
I have the same problem???

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 2:09AM GMT
FTM 2012 destroyed one of my files with this issue. Persons were all sorted properly, then after a merge, most of the families had children out of order.

Regards,

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 3:21AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2013 3:22AM GMT
Probably not since apparently it is not considered a problem. However, I hope that enough of the beta testers for 2014 will raise a fuss about this that sorting by birth order globally will be possible in 2014.

Or not messing it up in the first place, but since many of us have them out of order now due to 2012 it needs to have a global fix enabled.

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 5:03AM GMT
it isn't a defect. it was actually designed that way... supposedly because Ancestry had so many users request it be done that way.

My personal opinion is they need to do a new survey of ALL 2,000,000 ancestry subscribers to see if that is *REALLY* true.

It could easily be done.

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 6:13AM GMT
I never understood the argument that it was by design at users request. User's simply wanted the ability to change the sort manually if the so desired (listing direct ancestor first and other by date for instance, or to be able to list a child for whom you had no birth date, but knew the child was born between two other children). I somehow doubt that anyone ever requested the sort order of the children in their families be scrambled with no simple way to correct for it!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic