Search for content in message boards

Carver County MN Civil War ancestor

Carver County MN Civil War ancestor

rita doussard (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2003 6:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hoehn (aka Hoen, Hoehne)
I'm looking for information on Henry Hoehn (aka Heinrich Hoen or variations thereof), born in Germany about 1834, emigrated to Carver County about 1860, and was in the Civil War. Want info on when he served, his unit, or whatever.

Re: Carver County MN Civil War ancestor

James Kustelski (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2003 4:41AM GMT
Try this link:
http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/index.html

You can search for your ancestor by name

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 3:18AM GMT
Try Minnesota 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment 1865. My ancestor from Carver county joined them. Do a search for his name in the civil war at the National Archives.

David Stenger (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2006 7:16PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2006 1:06PM GMT
Surnames: Lukan
John, my ggrandfather, Henry Lukan was also in the Minn. 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment. Have you been able to find any info on the Regiment? All I have found is they had garrison duty in Tenn.

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 4:18PM GMT
John, David,
It seems I also have an ancestor who was in the Minnesota 1st Heavy Artillery. He was from Benton Township- Carver County
I have just received his record from the National Archives.
It seems they mustered in St. Paul in Sept. 1864 time frame and it is correct that they had garrison duty in Chattanooga, Tenn. and of course mustered out at the end of the war (Jun. 1865). There is not much else in the way of info from the records. My ancestor was in Co. A...

Posted: 13 Feb 2007 2:24AM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2007 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: Baxter, Colvill, Andrews
The following information came from a Google search:

The 1st Minnesota Heavy Artillery mustered in at St. Paul, and Rochester, Minnesota, between November 1864 and February 1865. Many of the officers were recruited from discharged veteran sergeants of the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment and corporals from the 3rd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 4th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment, and 5th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The regiment was assigned as part of the garrison of Chattanooga, Tennessee, for its entire career and saw no combat action. The 1st Minnesota "Heavies" were mustered out of service on September 27, 1865.

The last surviving veteran of the American Civil War from either side, Albert Woolson, was a member of the regiment.

Commanding officers

* Lt. Colonel Luther L. Baxter, February 25, 1865 to April 26, 1865.
* Colonel William Colvill, April 26, 1865 to May 6, 1865.
* Colonel Luther L. Baxter, May 7, 1865 to September 27, 1865.

Casualties and total strength

87 enlisted men died of disease. Total fatalities were 87.[1]

References

Andrews, General Christopher Columbus ed., (1891). Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars. Pioneer Press.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic