Search for content in message boards

Sponsors for Marriages

Sponsors for Marriages

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Deckers, Veugelers
One of my ancestors Gertrudis Deckers (Dekkers) married Matthias Veugelaers (Veugelers) in 1738. She and her husband had 2 sponsors: both had the same last name Gertrudis had.
Typically when people got married, did they have siblings as their sponsors?

Re: Sponsors for Marriages

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 11:48PM GMT
Typically you needed permission from your family to get married in those days. More so from the women that got married but also the men if they were considered minors. A minor was usually someone who was less than 30 years old, and never married before. I am guessing that's what the sponsors were for. So for example if the father had passed away an older brother could be a sponsor.

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 12:34AM GMT
What durch word are you seeing in documentation to denote sponser ?? what sort of document is it ?? I have marriage for the 1700 and 1700's and all I ever see on those is

Getuige bij het huwelijk - witness to the marriage

One of my ancestors Gertrudis Deckers (Dekkers) married Matthias Veugelaers (Veugelers) in 1738. She and her husband had 2 sponsors: both had the same last name Gertrudis had.
Typically when people got married, did they have siblings as their sponsors?

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 8:52AM GMT
Surnames: Deckers, Veugelers
If you look on this website www.lggi.nl, it says the word "sponsors" for the weddings. I am currently on the Arcen city of Limburg.

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 11:24AM GMT
Thanks reply..........Interesting........Maybe that is the way it is in some places and time frames. . On my 5G GF marriage it says

Kerkelijk huwelijk Geulle 31-08-1741
Bruidegom Petrus Peeters
Bruid Elizabetha Pochenerin
Getuige bij het huwelijk Barbarâ Raeven
Getuige bij het huwelijk Cornelio Bours

per page

Find a board about a specific topic