Search for content in message boards

Famous BREWSTER Descendants

Famous BREWSTER Descendants

Chris Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2004 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brewster
Does anyone know of other notable or famous descendants of Elder William Brewster that could be added to the following list?

Zachary Taylor (U.S. President)
Sarah Knox Taylor (wife of Jefferson Davis, CSA President)
George C. McClellan (Civil War general--Union)
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (poet)
Lee DeForest (inventor)
Bing Crosby (entertainer)
Katharine Hepburn (actress)
Julia Child (TV chef)
David H. Souter (U.S. Supreme Court Justice)

Re: Famous BREWSTER Descendants

Lucinda Lee George (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2004 2:11PM GMT
O. Byron Brewster 1886-1953 ( NY Supreme Court Judge)
Martha Brewster 1842-1860 (married to Oliver Brown-son of Abolitionist John Brown. Oliver was killed in the Harper ferry raid)

Posted: 13 Apr 2004 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: Brewster,Lee
Another;
Jennifer Lee Pryor (writer, producer & wife of Comedian Richard Pryor)

Chris (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2004 11:07PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information. Are you a Brewster descendant? I am descended from Elder William and Mary ( ____ ) Brewster through their daughter, Patience (Brewster) Prence.

Posted: 14 Apr 2004 2:33AM GMT
Yes I am, from Elder William and Mary to Love. My Grandfather was Justice O. Byron Brewster, His Aunt Martha married Oliver Brown and my sister is Jennifer Lee Pryor. Your list is fascinating, some I was not aware of. Also I believe there is also a female ABC reporter that is a decendant. If I find or remember her name I will let you know.

Posted: 14 Apr 2004 3:12AM GMT
The ABC reporter that you mentioned is Cokie Roberts. I had forgotten to add her to my list. I think that the Brewster connection is through her mother, Lindy Boggs (a former U.S. Ambassador and U.S. Representative), although I do not know her exact line back.

By the way, sometime ago I bought an interesting book called "A Scattered People" by Gerald McFarland. This book traces McFarland's ancestry back to Florella (Brown) Adair--a sister of the famous John Brown. This book contains a lot of information on the Brown family.

Lucinda lee George (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2004 1:07AM GMT
Thank You, I don't know the book. I will have to check it out. I have quite a bit of reading and material. Lots of old news clippings as my Great grandfather, (Martha Brewster Brown's brother) saved a ton of stuff. I also have John Browns sundial and compass. He was a fascinating man. His farm in Lake Placid, NY was made a National Land Mark, a few years ago. My Great Grandfather Byron Remembrance Brewster was responsible for the Brown Family grave site stones on the farm.

Posted: 15 Apr 2004 2:16AM GMT
Wow! Your connection with the John Brown family is really interesting. I teach American History courses and I find the Civil War period especially fascinating. It is wonderful that your family has been able to keep some of the John Brown family items for all of these years. Do you have the birth and death dates for Martha Brewster Brown?

Posted: 19 Apr 2004 6:22PM GMT
Sorry that I didn't respond ASAP. But... Martha Brewster Brown was born October 31, 1842, and died March 02, 1860. She gave birth to a baby girl in January of 1860 (Olivia Brown). A difficult birth, the child died within a few days and Martha suffered terribly and died in March with an infection. The birth & death of the child, and death of Martha all occurred on the John Brown Farm, North Elba, NY. (near Lake Placid). I have attached a picture of Oliver Brown and Martha Brewster.
Attachments:

Posted: 19 Apr 2004 8:36PM GMT
Thanks again for the information and for the great picture. They were such a nice looking couple. Their tragic life story would make a great book or movie. Family history is so interesting. Who would ever guess that the first wife of Confederate President Jefferson Davis AND the daughter-in-law of John Brown were cousins (descendants of William and Mary Brewster)? Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions