Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Hugh McMillan

Descendants of Hugh McMillan

Posted: 19 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: McMillan, Crawford, Thompson, Walker, Alexander
Hugh McMillan was born 1720, in Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland. He was married twice. I have the name, I think, of one of the wives. I don't know if she is the 1st or 2nd wife. Her name was Mable Crawford. Hugh McMillan may be the son of the Rev. Hugh McMillan who fled Scotland because of religious persecution, migrating to Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland.

Hugh McMillan, b. 1720, in Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland was probably the father of the following children:

Henry W. McMillan, Old Barnwell District , SC

Major James William McMillan may have been in the Chester District, SC & was in the Old Barnwell District by 1830

Daniel McMillan - Chester District, SC, Kershaw District,SC, Old Camden District. Daniel received a Rev. War Pension on 7 Jun 1832, in Chester District, SC. This pension is on file at the State Archives, Columbia, SC
Daniel was born 1752, in Antrim, Ireland. This information on Daniel, I obtained from his pension papers.

Daniel McMillan married ca 1780/1781 to Jean Thompson who d. in Chester Co., SC

He ran away from home, when he was 16, because he didn't like his father's 2nd wife & came to the Americas about 1768-1769. Rumors are that his brother Hugh McMillan came with him. His brother may be the Rev Hugh McMillan who migrated from SC to Ohio.

William McMillan, b. ca 1761, in London England, d. 4 Aug 1894, in Chester District, SC, m. Jane Walker, in Ireland.

Alexander McMillan who d. 1809, in Chester District Co.,SC, m. Margaret (?) Alexander could have been in the Old Barnwell District, SC & moved to the Chester District, SC by the time the SC 1790 Census was taken.

Martin McMillan who I think also d. & is buried in Chester District, SC

Hugh McMillan who I think maybe the Rev Hugh McMillan who migrated to Ohio???

Mary McMillan who may have m. a (?) Thompson. I am not sure if she was in Chester District, SC or not or in the Americas

David McMillan - no data

Rumors in our family were that three McMillan brothers migrated to South Carolina before the Revolutionary War. These brothers were Daniel, Henry W. & James William McMillan. I believe that as many as seven brothers, maybe eight brothers came to South Carolina. I don't know if all of the brother came before the Rev. War.

We know that Pvt. Daniel McMillan was a Rev. Soldier. It is indicated that his brothers Henry W. & James William McMillan were Majors. James "Jim" William McMillan was referred to as Major William McMillan. He signed his will as William McMillan, in the will he is referred to as Major McMillan. His will is in the Old Barnwell District, SC. I was looking for the will of Major James McMillan, at the time I didn't know his middle name was William. Some people confuse him with the will of my 3 g-grandfather James McMillan of the Old Barnwell District. Some people confuse William McMillan's will as being the will of his brother Henry W. (whose middle name is also William)McMillan

I would like to get in contact with descendants of any of the above people I have a good bit of infomation on the above mentioned people.

Hugh McMillan

Cindy McMillan Franks (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: McMillan, McMullen
Chester Co. SC
There is a Daniel McMillan (or McMullen) born abt. 1725 in Ireland. Do you know the names of any of Hugh McMillan's brothers - or parents? Daniel had 5 sons. I think they were all born in Ireland.
~~~~~~~~~~
Note: Email as posted - cwfranks@aol.com - failed as of 1-2-00. --eb

Daniel McMillan

Posted: 1 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: McMillan
Cindy,

I don't know if Hugh McMillan, b. 1720, in Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland had any brothers or sisters. More than likely, he did. I believe that Hugh McMillan was the son of the Rev. Hugh McMillan who fled Scotland because of religious persecution & emigrated to Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland. I have traced my family back to Hugh McMillan of Rasharkin, Antrim, Ireland.

I have been in contact with Graeme MacKenzie, Clan MacMillan Historian. He thinks that he can take my family back to the 15th & 16th century.

Graeme MacKenzie's email address is:

graeme@clanmcmillan.org

I believe he will be able to help you more than I can. You will have to send him what information you have on your family. My file was so large that I had to put it on a CD & mail to him. I have over 10,000 people in my file, it was to large to email.

I would love to exchange information with you.

Walker/McMillan connection

Posted: 1 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2006 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: WALKER, WYLIE, HOOD, HIGHTOWER, COLEMAN
I have a connection through Jane WALKER m William MCMILLAN.
Jane was the dau of James WALKER who came to this country from Antrim County Ireland circa 1790. Have a bit of information on Jane and William. Looking for more info on James WALKER and his wife Elizabeth WYLIE, and their children. Lets share and compare! Lea

McMillans, Walkers

Posted: 28 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: McMillan, Walker, Hunter
John Hunter Jr. b. 1775 in Ire. or SC lived in Chester Co. with his first wife Jennet McMillan and his second wife Rebecca Walker. His brother James Hunter married Elizabeth McMillan. The LDS site says that they are sisters, d/o John (Jean) McMillan and grandaughters of Hugh McMillan 1720. I have found nothing to substantiate this. There was a wagon train abt. 1820 made up of descendants of James and John, as well as Walkers, Weirs, and maybe Hollidays, that migrated from Chester Co. to southern Illinois.

George Hunter

Posted: 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Sorry, they are not in my database.

Hunter

Sandra Locke Wright (View posts)
Surnames: LOCKE, HUNTER, HALL

I am looking for George Hunter's daughter Mary who married Jesse Locke about 1815

Sandra

Hunter - LOCKE

Sandra Locke Wright (View posts)
Surnames: HUNTER, LOCKE, HALL

I am looking for George Hunter the father of Mary who married Jesse McCullock Locke.

Sandra

Re: Walker/McMillan connection

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 7:37PM GMT
Surnames: Walker/Wyllie/Wylie
I don't know if there's any connection (I'm hoping there is!). My GGGGG-Grandfather was Robert Walker (b. approx. 1782 in Perth, Scotland) He married Mary Wyllie (or Wylie) 18 Aug 1796 - b. approx. 1786 in Stewarton, Ayr., Scotland. Their son, John Walker (b. 5 Feb 1797 - Stewarton, Ayr., Scotland) married Mary Pinkerton (approx. 1798 - Antrim, Antrim, Ire.) If any of this sounds remotely familiar, I would love to compare notes!

Georgene Walker Berman

Re: Descendants of Hugh McMillan

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 3:46PM GMT
Hi, I am looking for the family of Daniel McMillan, married Jane Thompson and had at least 1 child, John McMillan. John married Margaret Henderson, dau of Thomas Henderson & Mary Balch (Henderson). John and Margaret had Martha McMillan ca 9 May 1817, she married James Thomas Ellis. They lived in Ky, Warren or Butler Co's. Any info would be a great help. Thanks, Margie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic