Search for content in message boards

HEWITT, Clonroot, Portadown, Armagh

HEWITT, Clonroot, Portadown, Armagh

Posted: 8 Jul 2008 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HEWITT
My first ancestor in Canada on my father's side is Mary HEWITT. I found her name on a ship list from 1824 and her husband's name was Robert according to other documents. I do not know with 100% accuracy where in Ireland she is from, but through research I have made an educated guess for it to be County Armagh where there is a huge concentration of HEWITT families. I have tried to narrow this down and have come up with the townland of Clonroot, Portadown. But as stated earlier, I do not have 100% proof of this. That is why I am asking for help if anyone can give me another clue. Thanks.

Re: HEWITT, Clonroot, Portadown, Armagh

Posted: 4 May 2011 1:09PM GMT
I have found that there was one Robert Hewitt on Clonroot rd that lived there in 1779 with a wife and two children. there was also a Mary Hewitt close by.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 12:44AM GMT
I am currently seeking to locate a Robert Hewitt from Clonroot Armagh Portadown area. Looking to find direction as to how to confirm wife and childrens names as my ggg-grandfather Robert Hewitt would have been married in Armagh and immigrated to Ontario Canada, seeking original roots and names. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 5:17PM GMT
time scale would be good.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 8:03PM GMT
my ggg-grandfather Robert Hewitt would have been born in Armagh in approx 1810, his wife Jane Robinson approx 1816. So his parents Im guessing would be around 1780's. I am seeking to find a out how and where I could track this remaining link to Ireland. Some old family notes indicate Roberts mothers name may have been Rebecca. Can anyone tell me if this would have been a popular name for Irish females in 1770s - 1800's?. I have more information on my family history that I have been able to confirm from the Canadian side, if you have any information that may help please let me know. Thank you so much!

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 8:42PM GMT
Here is some good info on where they lived from the Balleyhagan Meeting Hall

http://www.bob-sinton.com/ballyhagan/chapter-5.php

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 8:18AM GMT
Surnames: Winter
Hello , off the original topic but that link has my family name on do you know how i can find out any more info as that's the earliest ive seen the name recorded?
The names im looking at are Sam and Dan Winter Thanks.

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 7:05PM GMT
Hi. In the end, did you ever get over to Ireland ?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic