Search for content in message boards

Lowe/Quin/McIlveen Cloghogue

Lowe/Quin/McIlveen Cloghogue

Posted: 9 Jul 2008 12:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lowe/Quin/MIlveen
My grt grandmother Jane Lowe b. Feb 28,1871 Cloghoge,Co.Armagh. Daughter of William Lowe and Catherine Quin. Jane had two brothers who stayed in Ireland. George Lowe m. Rachel McIlveen he was member of Ulster Constabulary. Thomas Lowe m. Jane McIlveen. I have a letter from George to my grt grandmother Jane dated Nov. 19 1909 informing her of their mother Catherines death . She is buried in the Cullyhanna churchyard. Letter states William Lowe was still alive at the time.
Does anyone have any connection to these families? Address on letter is Cloghoge,Crossmaglen,Co.Armagh.

Re: Lowe/Quin/McIlveen Cloghogue

Posted: 9 Jul 2008 1:14PM GMT
Could these be more siblings?

LOWE, David Birth
Birth Date: 8 May 1870 Birthplace: Crossmaglen, Arm, Ire
Recorded in: Armagh, Ireland
Collection: Civil Registration
Father: William LOWE
Mother: Kate QUIN
Source: FHL Film 101205 Dates: 1870 - 1870

LOWE, Thomas Birth
Birth Date: 24 Aug 1872 Birthplace: Crossmaglen, Arm, Ire
Mother: Catherine QUIN
Source: FHL Film 255856 Dates: 1872 - 1873

LOWE, Eliza Birth
Birth Date: 13 Jan 1874 Birthplace: 461, Crossmaglen, Arm, Ire
Mother: Catherine QUIN
Source: FHL Film 255893 Dates: 1874 - 1875

Ireland, The Royal Irish Constabulary 1816-1921
about LOWE, GEO
Name: LOWE, GEO
Birth Date/Age: 22
Birthplace: ARMAGH
Film #: 2088
Page #: 35B
Year: 1885

Service Records are available from

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/police_museum/pg_geneology_i...

Posted: 10 Jul 2008 3:27PM GMT
An Unnamed LOW married a Mary COULTER - likely in the early 1700s. Her parents were from Co. Louth. The COULTERs of Louth were frequently connected by marriage to people in Creggan Parish, CO. Armagh. They had a daughter, Elizabeth LOW about whom I know nothing.
I also have a Charlotte Catherine QUINN (1754-1813) who married a George BIRCH (d. 1814). He was from Ballybeen, Co. Down and served as a surgeon in India. He was a brother of Thomas Ledlie BIRCH, the Presbyterian Minister at Saintfield who was forced to emigrate in 1798 after his involvement with the uprising of 1798.
On the McILVEEN side, Alice McILVEEN (1687-1769)married Alexander DONALDSON of Phillipstown, Co. Louth and also of Cloghoge, Co. Armagh.She had a brother Thomas McILVEEN. The surname can also be found at http://thesilverbowl.com/documents/TABLES/FreeduffBMD.html
Good luck,
Sharon Oddie Brown
Roberts Creek, BC, Canada
History Project: http://www.thesilverbowl.com/
Family Tree: http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=silverbowl

Posted: 11 Jul 2008 1:19PM GMT
Yes, Thank you these are siblings of Jane Lowe. I Have a hand written note that David d. 1937 in Newark, New Jersey. Thomas m. Jane McIlveen stayed in Crossmaglen. and Elizabeth (Aunt Lizzie) never married and lived with Jane and her husband in Greenwich ,Ct. She died there in April 1954 and is buried at Putnam cemetery with Jane.

Jane Married John Sellar Nov. 23,1893 in Greenwich,Fairfield Co. Connecticut. He was b. Oct 21 1860 at Queens Canley,New Deer,Savoch,Aberdeenshire,Scotland. son of Alexander Sellar and Elizabeth Norrie.

Jane had a brother William who also came to USA lived in N.Y. and a sister Margaret (Maggie) also married a McIlveen and lived in Saskatchawan,Canada.
Are you related? Thanks Terry

Posted: 11 Jul 2008 1:25PM GMT
Sharon

My Jane had a sister Maggie(Margaret Lowe married William McIlveen had a farm in Montfort,Saskatchewan,Canada. Could he be related to your McIlveens?
Thanks Terry

Posted: 21 Jul 2009 10:33AM GMT
You may find additional useful information on www.ledliefamily.net - there is a chapter relating to Thomas Ledlie Birch and a chart of his family.

Regards,

Maxwell

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: McIlveen, Wilson
Hello any one out there - I am Christine McIlveen, ( McIlveen family 2009) the McIlveens of Cloghoge- I have several of the McIlveens in my tree and I know we where cousins of the Lowes ( been there for tea as a child). would love any later history as I am somewhat stumped when I get to the early 1800's also the ancestory of Samuel Thomas McIlveen who married Mary Jane Mclveen, all I know from elderly relatives is that he came from elsewhere?

would like to get intouch - where are you?

I am in Cumbria England.

Posted: 17 Oct 2011 10:05PM GMT
I am Adele Lowe, formerly of Cloghogue, Cullyhanna. The William Lowe you refer to was my grandfather, my father also called William died in 1993. He had 2 brothers Sidney and Stanley and one sister Mildred - all now deceased. I have two brothers William and Thomas Alexander. Thomas Alexander still resides at Cloghogue. My father often told me of sisters of his fathers going to America and how they had all lost contact. George Lowe had 4 children - 3 girls and 1 boy. They are all now deceased and had no children. Cloghogue Lodge although not lived in for many years is still standing.

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 1:32PM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson/Wallace Cloghog
WOw! A friend in Northern Ireland sent me this reference this morning. Wonder if a little green leaf will ever appear. It is particularly timely as I have been trying to track down for a decade the location of my pioneer family s home, Cloghog Lodge, in Co Armagh. I ve been told for years that it was in ruins but more recently have learned it is till there though uninhabited. My family were William Donaldson, great great grandson of Alexander Ban Donaldson and Alice McIlveen, and Harriet Wallace daughter of Robert Grenville Wallace. They came to New Brunswick Canada in 1839 where they homesteaded in harsh conditions. I have coordinates for the site if anyone is interested, please contact me Clarkson3@gmail.com.

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 2:02PM GMT
Peter McWilliams & were there recently, and met Alex. I am sure Peter will be in touch soon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic