Search for content in message boards

Syncing problem between ancestry sites.

Syncing problem between ancestry sites.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 12:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
My iPad syncs to Ancestry.co.uk and my PC syncs to Ancestry.com.
I've updated some information on the iPad (easier to do when visiting relatives) which then syncs successfully to ancestry.co.uk.
When checking on the pc (FTM 2012), none of the updates are available (older information previously entered on pc).
Is there any way of getting these two sites to sync with each other?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Re: Syncing problem between ancestry sites.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 1:02PM GMT
The starter has to be that there is only one site which is situated in the USA. .co.uk, .ca etc are simply doorways to the same data.
It should be impossible to see different data by entering through a different doorway.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 1:22PM GMT
Thanks for the reply.

Yep! you would have thought that this was impossible, but this is my 'situation'.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 2:10PM GMT
When you make the updates/changes - are you making them through the ancestry interface or from FTM 2012?

There have been reported issues, in other threads, of synchronization lapses, for lack of a better word, depending on which side the change is made.

I've experienced the same issue myself, before a re-install. Changes I made in AMT reflected, after sync, in my FTM. Changes made in FTM did NOT appear, after sync, in the AMT.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 2:28PM GMT
I use ancestry on my ipod. Here are some thoughts which you may have already thought of. Uninstall re-install on the iPad. It is more of a direct read than the computer sync. Refresh browser on the computer. Sign out and back in to ancestry. Make sure working on same tree. Make change online in ancestry.uk and make sure it shows in other ancestry and iPad. You do have same user name for both??

Anyway you probably already thought of all these but just in case you hadn't.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 2:55PM GMT
Thanks for the replies.

The issue is that any changes made at ancestry.co.uk (either directly on site or through iPad (and sync)) are not updated to ancestry.com.
Changes made on ancestry.com are not reflected at ancestry.co.uk.
Basically these 2 sites (same username) are out of sync.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 3:13PM GMT
I have to return to my original point that there is only one site. Ancestry is a bit like older schools here in England which had different entrance doors for boys and girls.
Are you able to give details of an individual involved and the differences depending on how you access?

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 4:12PM GMT
Hi,

It matters not which individual. I added some new children to a couple of people via iPad (synced to ancestry.co.uk). This was not reflected on ancestry.com so when viewing through FTM 2012 on PC was not able to see the changes.
A person had 2 parents on ancestry.com so I 'fixed' it (within FTM) and synced up to ancestry.com. This is not reflected in ancestry.co.uk.

Is there any way to get the iPad to sync to ancestry.com instead of ancestry.co.uk please? or the pc to sync to ancestry.co.uk.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 4:41PM GMT
As far as I know, the entry portal is determined by the country of origin of the software, so presumably your FTM2012 is the USA version whilst your iPad app was obtained from the UK App store. Whether you can get a US version if you are not in the US I don't know.
One thing I have notice is that you seem to have several copies of what seems to be essentially the same data on Ancestry. Unless there is a good reasonI would be tempted to delete all bar the "good" one

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 4:45PM GMT
There should be. If you log out of one does it log you out of the other? I think by using your iPad you have found some sort of quirk in the program. I think you will need to call ancestry on this but before you do make a change in each online tree (a different one) and see if it propagates. Not via ftm or ipad but directly on line. That is probably the first thing they'd ask you to do when you call. Then with the results of that call them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic