Search for content in message boards

Relationship Calculator in FTM 2012 and Online Trees

Relationship Calculator in FTM 2012 and Online Trees

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 4:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I know this issue has been raised before but it has not been resolved. The FTM directions say you can select which relationship to display after the calculator lists the relationships, but in fact it does not matter which one you try to select. FTM continues to display, eg., a 13th GGM as a 12th GGAunt and there is NO WAY that I can find to select the grandmother relationship for display. This should be so simple. Just allow a choice. PLEASE, will someone at FTM address this issue, or will someone here tell me how in fact to select the relationship I want for display? Thanks

Re: Relationship Calculator in FTM 2012 and Online Trees

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 5:52PM GMT
I know the relationship calculator will display all relationships between two people, but I don't see in the documentation where you can set which one displays on an on-going basis. I know for a fact that this can't be done on the online trees, and as far as I can tell same with FTM trees. Both will show the "Closest" relationship (e.g. 12th GGAunt is fewer steps than 13th GGMother).

I agree with you it would be a nice feature but I don't think it can be done.

Ancestry doesn't monitor these forums so I would suggest you email the request to support@ancestry.com and maybe they'll add the feature in a future update. I'm doing the same, I think it's a good idea.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 7:54PM GMT
Open your AMT tree, go to Tree Pages than Tree Settings under "Who you are in this tree" you can set any person in the tree as the anchor person.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:18AM GMT
Thank you, Sean, for your help. I thought I might be missing some obvious trick to selecting the relationship to display. Here's a screen shot of the FTM Help information, where it says you can do so. "If there is more than one way that the two individuals are related, you can select which one you want to display from the drop-down list." So, naturally, I thought I could do this. I am going to take your advice and send a message to support.
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:28AM GMT
Thank you, ginglish, for your help. However, will you explain how your suggestion would work? I want to remain the anchor person and have the other person's relationship to me displayed. If someone else is the anchor person, the relationship that is calculated and displayed will not be the relationship to me, will it? I don't really care about the range of relationships to different people, only about the relationship to me. Am I missing your point? Thanks again.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:54AM GMT
AFAIK - that is momentary only - that is, while you have the calculator open, not a PERMANENT display.

My grandparents were 3rd cousins. Given the location and time period, that is not at all unusual. They have at least 6 different connections - also not unexpected, given the time and place - rural location, before automobiles and telephones.

Until recently (December 2012, to be exact) the FTM calculator found them as 3rd cousins. Now (beginning in February 2013) that calculator is no longer able to see that relationship, but sees them as spouses and finds the dumb/silly/stupid relationships (see attached snip).

Attachments:

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:02AM GMT
I think you may be misinterpreting what "display" means.

FTM means "display" to mean the list of connecting ancestors or descendants in the panel for that purpose, in the Relationship Calculator. By selecting one out of 60 relationships, you can see the details of how they are related in the box in that screen.

It does NOT mean the relationship displayed in the upper right corner of the Family Tab of the People Workspace.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:16AM GMT
Oh, woe, Burgess and Silver, you are both so right! I have often found "dumb/stupid/silly" relationships with my people too. And NOW I see the "display" is only temporary. It would have saved me some frustration if the "help" information had made that explicit, perhaps by adding the adjective, "temporarily." You would think. Thanks to both of you. I will have to remain dissatisfied. I'm not going to use the relationship calculator until a "permanent" display option is offered because I don't want the page to "permanently" display one of the D/S/S relationships (ditto the online tree, which until a few weeks ago may have found a D/S/S relationship, but at least gave the option not to display it). I know it's possible, even easy, to provide a display option, as I have had other genealogy software that did so. Thanks again. (grump)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic