Search for content in message boards

Req: West Lothian monument inscriptions

Req: West Lothian monument inscriptions

Posted: 9 Jul 2005 9:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
Has anyone found a good resource for checking West Lothian monument inscriptions? I am trying to find if any of my ancestors are buried in the area. The surnames are Scoular and Hailstones and they lived around Livingstone, Dechmont, Uphall, Mid Calder.
Thanks

Re: Req: West Lothian monument inscriptions

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 6:31AM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2006 1:01PM GMT
there is a book pre 1855 MI'S for west lothian very usefull, if you wont to purchase it you should be able to get it at Amazon, i can do a look up, what years are you looking for and have you any first names,

Sandra

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 8:25AM GMT
thanks Sandra. I'll have a look for the book in Amazon. If you want to do a look up for me that would be very helpful. Is there anything for James Scoular (or Scoullar) and his wife Grizzell Laurie (or Grace Laurie). Both must have been born around the 1770's or 80's.
The other ones I'm trying to find are Francis and Margaret Hailstones (nee Walker), both born around 1810 and died between 1841 and 1856. They may be buried in the Bathgate area.
Many thanks

elaine (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2005 2:23PM GMT
Ryan, I was recently at Bathgate Cemetary and took some photos there, I have a few with the names Hailstones on. If you send your email add I will send them to you.

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 9:18AM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2006 8:02AM GMT
The pre1855 Monumental Inscriptions book is indeed very useful. It is published by the Scottish Genealogy Society and can be ordered through their website: http://www.scotsgenealogy.com

Membership of the society is only £16 per year and immediately saves one 10% on all orders through their website. In addition it enables one to ask a fellow member for help. This could include a lookup of one of the many thousands of unpublished Monumental Inscriptions or framily trees held in the society's library. Directly relevant to this enquiry the society has an enormous "Ferguson" collection. and a book of Bathgate deaths the contents of which are not available form any other internet source - it's out of print and scarce.

Posted: 4 Feb 2006 11:19PM GMT
ANY CHANCE OF SHARING THESE PHOTOGRAPHS OR THE INSCRIPTIONS. IT WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED. WE HAVE LOTS OF INFORMATION ON THE PEOLPE WITH SURNAME HAILSTONE/S

elaine (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2006 12:40PM GMT
Hi Phillip
Before I start sending bits and pieces, could you please let me know that you received my direct email, and so confirm I have the correct address? Cheers!

Posted: 7 Oct 2006 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: Hailstones
Hi Ryan,

How is your work on the MI's of the Bathgate Hailstones moving along? Has the book proved helpful?

I ask because I am presently researching William Hailstones b. 1803 in Bathgate and his descendants, including his daughter (my great, great, great grandmother) Janet Hailstones b. 1826 in Polmont, Stirling. He died in Falkirk in 1873, and is buried there, I believe. Perhaps his parents William Hailstones and Christian "Christina" Baxter, both of Bathgate, West Lothian and most assuredly many of his siblings (Mary b. 1794 d. 1795, for instance) are buried at Bathgate. For these reasons, I'm curious about your research into monument inscriptions at Bathgate for the Hailstones.

I also am intrigued about whether your Francis b. 1810 was William's brother Francis, also born 1810 in Bathgate. Do we have a match?

I'd be happy to share information if we do, though mine tends to be centered most obviously on William. If your Francis and my William are brothers, I'd also be interested in any information you might have on their parents.

You may contact me directly at lcrago@gmail.com.

Best wishes,
Laura Crago
per page

Find a board about a specific topic