Search for content in message boards

need translation for Scottish motto

need translation for Scottish motto

Posted: 11 Sep 2006 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Douglas
Please translate the meaning for this moto: "What Tyde", It's the "Douglas" Moto . Oragin is Scottish. Thank You.

Re: need translation for Scottish motto

G2 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2006 12:11AM GMT
That's strange - I have the official Douglas clan motto as "Jamais arrière" which means "Never behind". When I say clan motto, I am referring to the motto used by the Clan Chieftain as the senior Douglas.

Nowhere in any of the 18 different mottoes that I can find for the name of Douglas, can I find "What Tyde". In fact, I can't find 'What Tyde' in any of my list of mottoes. Here are the mottoes use by different families of Douglas surname.

Here are the 18 mottoes I found that are used by the surname of Douglas:
Audax et promptus
Do or die
Fortis et fidelis
Fortune le veut
God for us
In cruce glorior
Jamais arrière
Lock sicker
Meliora sperando
Per varios casus
Petiti ardua virtus
Pro patria
Quœ serata secura
Sapientia et veritas
Spero meliora
Sursum
Tandem fit surculus arbor
Meliora speranda

Sorry I can't help any more.

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 8:42PM GMT
I know that this is a few years out of date but.....
I am looking at my familys coat of arms for the Douglas family and it has the Motto "What Tyde"
Two of us can not be nuts.
I do not know the meaning, I have looked.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Apr 2008 2:12PM GMT
The achievement (coat of arms) that you attached isn't a Douglas coat of arms as far as I can ascertain.

The top left hand corner (dexter chief) is the 'surname' part of the arms and there certainly aren't any Douglas arms that look like that. However, in the 2nd quarter there is something similar to the Douglas arms but without the imperial crown, so it might be a wife from a cadet branch of one of the Douglas families.

For arms in the name of Douglas, the Douglas arms would have to be in the dexter chief quarter. The Douglas arms are Argent a Man's Heart Gules ensigned with an Imperial Crown proper on a Chief Azure three Mullets Argent. There are also other arms registered in the surname of Douglas, but none of them look like the image that you have provided.

If you want verifiable facts on these arms I suggest that you take your enquiry to the Office of the Lord Lyon for that is where they MIGHT have emanated. m You can 'Google' for the address of the Lord Lyon's Office or you can get the info from http://www.lyon-court.com

If you do take your enquiry there, please let us know the outcome.

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 2:51PM GMT
The motto is actually associated with Archibald the Grim's crest and motto. I have not found a translation from old English or Latin either. My family has a plate with the 5th Earl's coat of arms with "what tyde" below. If you research the 3rd Earl, you might find out. Good luck.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 10:50PM GMT
"what tyde" means: First to fight! I am a Douglas as well and have some of the material that lists other mottoes and phrases that were used by Clan Douglas.

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 8:47AM GMT
Here are most of the Douglas mottoes as scanned from "The Heraldry of the Douglases" by G. Harvey Johnston (1907).
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 5:13AM GMT
Thank you! I was really starting to worry when for so long I didn't get an answer. Except to be told I was wrong. Thanks for answering. I stopped looking. So I was very happy to see the responses now.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 5:23AM GMT
Thanks for your help. I'm glad to see others have this motto for their Douglas clan too.

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 6:04AM GMT
I have been following this thread for awhile and Im happy to see there are other people who share this crest. I have been trying to find out more about my family crest. I have also been wanting this put on a ring so I could wear it with me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions