Search for content in message boards

new to FTM2012, now 2 trees on ancestry

new to FTM2012, now 2 trees on ancestry

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 4:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have had FTM for years & uploaded a tree to ancestry 2 yrs ago. I have connected some documents & pictures to it & a couple family members have accepted invites to it & are pulling info from it. But I hadn't updated it in a while, as I keep the FTM copy the current copy. I finally updated to FTM 2012, so they would sync & I'd wouldn't have 2 trees. I imported my FTM tree into FTM 2012. Did some cleanup of sources & place names, etc. Then I decided to link it to my ancestry tree, but it wouldn't sync with the tree I had on ancestry, it added a 2nd tree. How to I get the 2 trees to merge on ancestry, so the pics & records in the 'old' tree connect to the people on the new tree?
Thanks for any help.

Re: new to FTM2012, now 2 trees on ancestry

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 6:38AM GMT
Go to http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/list and put "syncing trees" in the keyword search

A number of articles there to guide you

John D

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 3:18PM GMT
Having two trees on ancestry (or two trees in ftm) is an expected result of starting the sync process since ftm cannot sync (the first time) to an already existing family tree. You have a choice of leaving your old tree up (public or private) or taking it down. If everything you wanted did not get transferred you might try using member connect to get stuff from old tree to new tree. Most everything except comments should have transferred though. And yes, you will have to re-invite people. I kept my old tree up use it for experiments and marked it private.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:00AM GMT
Thank you, I found exactly what I needed there. I deleted the newly uploaded file. Brought the old one into FTM & merged them. I didn't set my merge settings that well, cause I had a lot of checking to do, but got through it :)
Then sent the new merged file back to ancestry & reinvited people.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:02AM GMT
I merged the old tree into FTM & then uploaded the new merged file, I think it worked. But I'll keep the old file on ancestry for a while until I can be sure all the docs came with it. thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions