Search for content in message boards

Size of Family Tree Maker 2012

Size of Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 4:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
I notice that it calls for 1 Gig of memory. I have 1 Gig, but that's it. Does it really use that much memory, or are they being overly generous with the stat.

Is anybody running it with less than that with no problems?

Re: Size of Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 11:32AM GMT
FTM 2012 can be a terrible memory hog, although it seems to be better since the most recent patch.

I have 4 GB RAM and FTM has maxed out my system more than once.

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 5:04PM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2013 5:05PM GMT
I'd add more RAM. It depends on your tree but my 12GB (3-4GB useable by FTM) is not enough. Program crashes each day due to out of memory issues.

Regards,

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 6:24PM GMT
"I'd add more RAM. It depends on your tree but my 12GB (3-4GB useable by FTM) is not enough. Program crashes each day due to out of memory issues."

On XP the most Windows can use is 3 Gb approx (RAM plus Swapfile/Pagefile). To the best of my knowledge the most any 32 bit program can use on 64 bit OSs is also 3GBytes.

What error message do you get when FTM2012 "crashes"? Does it say "3 GBytes not enough" or something like that?

I know that on XP I get error messages to show null pointer assignments, probably caused by the .Net framework but I've never seen the whole of the memory taken up by FTM2012.

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 6:38PM GMT
"On XP the most Windows can use is 3 Gb approx ..."

Very interesting considering there are still quite a few XP computers in use, and 3GB is still on the high side for many users. I have Rambus RAM and max is 1.5. I currently have 1GB and I can usually run more than one program without any problems. I can't believe that there are that many people with 12GB to spare.

So it seems FTM is a rocket man in a neanderthal world. So I guess I'll just let it sit on my hard drive until it's time for my next upgrade of hardware. I'm just glad I didn't waste any time importing files before I found this out.

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 9:29PM GMT
System.outofmemory and system.overflow are the main two errors. This can happen with small trees 3,000 persons if the file is well-documented and you are merging lots of Ancestry.com records in a session.

Regards,

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 9:34PM GMT
Whether you will have issues demands on your file and time in one session that you use FTM. Once Windows has loaded all of its overhead, your free RAM for FTM will be much lower than the 1GB start.

FTM is still a 32-bit program can cannot access memory above the 3-4GB value. Those of us using 64-bit OS' will use the additional RAM for the other 64-bit programs on our systems.

Regards,

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 10:34PM GMT
It's an issue that gets no attention. Arguably it has improved since the last update. Before that crashes were every 10 minutes if, as suggested, you were doing a lot of merging. A crash just means the program stops running and closes with no notice. A restart shows nothing seems to have gone wrong.
I'd say the minimum recommended by Ancestry is wrong. The 1 GB they recommend has to be shared by all the other operating systems and other programs running.
Everyone acknowledges that even with several GB of RAM the program can crash. It uses ridiculous amounts of RAM. Why? Nothing else I've ever run uses anywhere near that amount. Can anyone give me an example of a common program that does?

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 10:38PM GMT
My video editing software can use memory above 4GB. The touble is that I've uses databases from the 16-bit days that were much large than FTM's files without issue. 1,000,000's of records, etc.

Reg\qards,

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 10:39PM GMT
interesting enough - I just got a new faster Dell machine 2 weeks ago with windows 8 and 12 gb memory. I'm running FTM in XP compatibility mode (per suggestions on some of these message boards) and get out of memory issues all the time on a small (800 people) tree. My old machine had XP on it (SP3) and 4 gb memory and I never had one out of memory issue with this same tree. So I conclude it may not be how much memory one has, but perhaps something like a programming issue with FTM on boundary memory beyond or around 4gb. Hated to leave XP, but it is going out of service next year
per page

Find a board about a specific topic