Search for content in message boards

FTM on Mac and PC?

FTM on Mac and PC?

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi everyone. I have FTM Mac on my computer at home but I also work from a PC laptop so I was wondering if it's possible to also have FTM on my PC and have both computers linked to my ancestry.com trees?

Thanks for you help.

Re: FTM on Mac and PC?

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 7:53PM GMT
If you mean can you sync both of them, I do not believe that is possible at this time.

I work on my mac and on my pc but on the mac I work in Ancestry.com and then sync with Family Tree Maker on the PC.
I don't have any genealogy program resident on the mac.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 12:04PM GMT
Yes you should be able to do that. I edit on FTM on my Mac and the ancestry program on my iPad and iPhone.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 1:19PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2013 1:21PM GMT
That is true. I have ancestry on my ipod also. But the iphone/ipad/ipod ancestry is essentially just a window albeit a two way window into ancestry. The desktop (or laptop) application Family Tree Maker for either Mac or PC is a much more full featured program with a complicated sync process that is not working for everyone (it has worked for me fine) and ancestry/ftm cannot yet successfully set up a sync process that can work from two different computers even if they are both pc. Syncing on a second one will break the sync on the first one. You can of course work on the online tree in either.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 7:31PM GMT
It is not currently possible to link two instances of Family Tree Maker to the same tree on Ancestry.com. You can use FTM on your Mac at home, and use Ancestry.com with your web browser on the 2nd computer.

It is possible to use the iPhone/iPad app on a given tree along with FTM, so the example on one of the earlier replies is valid - just not possible to do two computers (Mac and/or Windows).

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 12:57AM GMT
Ancestry has supposedly announced (just not to us, loyal subscribers) an enhancement will allow sync-ing of multiple computers, in 2013. Whether that includes PC and MAC is unclear. Considering that MAC upgrades to FTM usually lag behind Windows updates, I would have my doubts.
http://tinyurl.com/bxn4xlx (Ancestry Insider Blog from January 3, in case you don't trust the tinyurl).

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 12:59AM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2013 1:00AM GMT
Yes, so it did. Are we ready to sync to two computers when a percentage of people can't even make it work to sync to one? Oh, I forgot.. new features before debugging. Although I will say I have not had problems. I have had to restore from backup and still had sync stay in place.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 1:05AM GMT
Thank you everyone. Great support here on the boards.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic