Search for content in message boards

Determining % Ethnicity?

Determining % Ethnicity?

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 5:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi All,
Is there any way via FTM to determine what percentage a person is of other countries? By that I mean, determining a person is say, 10% Irish, 50% German and 40% Polish?
It would seem that someone would have developed software that could read the FTM file and use birth country to do that calculation.
I can do it manually but it would be nice if there were an easier way (I need to do it for multiple people).
Thanks,
Rick

Re: Determining % Ethnicity?

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 7:29PM GMT
Nothing like that in FTM. It could be a little tricky, for example my wife's grandparents were all born in Canada but going back a few more generations her ancestors were from France, Scotland, and Finland. I guess you could calculate ethnicity as of x number of generations?

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 11:22PM GMT
Have a read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group and you will see that Country of origin, is only a small part of the definition.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 1:46AM GMT
I just have to submit this. I volunteer work for an agency that works with Medicare. We have to put down RACE of the person as part of our collection of information. RACE is defined as country of origin. Supposedly that is the government definition. Then we have to provide ETHNICITY. That is either Hispanic or non-Hispanic, no other choices.
There is no box to check on RACE for a Hispanic white person. The only white is white/non-Hispanic. There is declined to state or no choice as other options.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 4:02PM GMT
"RACE is defined as country of origin"

Have a look at http://www.definitions.net/definition/country+of+origin
"fatherland, homeland, motherland, mother country, country of origin, native land(noun)
the country where you were born"

That is a major problem by it's self. As I was born in the USA, so that would make me a Native American (for lack of a better term) by definition. BUT as far as I know I have no Indian blood in my line.

Now if we were truly treat everyone equally, this type of information is only valid if tracing ones "DNA" line and not having anything to do with Medicare.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 4:37PM GMT
I think it is a terrible definition of race. It makes no sense. Your definition of country of origin is better [well, the one you found].
Of course for genealogical purposes, ethnicity as "where we were born" and ethnicity via DNA also seems to be somewhat different.
But then I was alway told when I was small that I was perhaps about 1/8 Italian. It turns out that myth started in the 1800's when someone wrote a genealogy book about that Family and SURMISED that the MIGHT have come from this Italian family back in the 1400's or 1500's just because the names were similar.

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 10:14PM GMT
I believe the only way to find what your ethnic background is, is to have your DNA done. One side of my family actually came from Switzerland and Austria but we always believed that line was only from Germany. That is just one example. For instance, you might trace a family line back to a county in England so you think you are English... But wait...Vikings took over there and settled at one point of time. SO you may find you are mostly Scandinavian, I did! DNA results opens minds.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic