Search for content in message boards

File help

File help

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 5:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Mar 2013 10:51PM GMT
I have not had a chance to update my FTM software for sometime, but version 9 has always worked on my computer along with my files. Since getting a new computer I am not able to open my file sine reinstalling FTM 9 and receive the following error: 'File is either write protected or not a valid FTM file. Change attributes or use different file'. I do not know why the same file will no longer open. It is saved as as .FTW file.

UPDATE: I was able to open the file by simply moving it from the DVD to my desktop and then opening it in FTM. Thanks for the offers to help!

Re: File help

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 6:27AM GMT
I suspect that you have copied your file across without changing the file attributes?

What Windows version did you use on your old computer when you saved the file and what media (storage) did you save it to?

What operating system do you use on your new computer?

See

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-a-re...

John D

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 2:25PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2013 2:27PM GMT
You should reconsider updating. See here:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3673/kw...

Note: I can't get the above url to open in Chrome. If you use Chrome, go to help in either Chrome, FF, or Explorer and search for "import old versions of FTM".

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 9:58PM GMT
I don't recall what Windows version I was using at the time I saved my file, it was Dec 2011 right before my computer died. Probably Widnows 7, it wasn't that old of a computer. The file is saved on a DVD-RW. I use Windows 7 on my new computer.

Is there any hope to retrieve it? The link you provided gave me info on how to convert a read only file. This doesn't seem to apply to my situation. The read only file box under properties is not checked on this file when I looked.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 10:30PM GMT
You will have to change the file attributes if the file is read-only. Right-Mouse-Button-Select the file then change the "read-only" marker. If you'd like, send me your file and I'll convert it to whatever version of FTM you are using.

Regards,

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 10:49PM GMT
Well....I fixed it. Although I've always been able to view files off of CDs, I guess for a DVD you have to move it to your computer and then open the file in FTM. It works now, thank goodness!

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 10:59PM GMT
I suspect that you used Windows XP

When XP saves a file to a CD it marks it read only as when Windows XP was written there were no R/W CD only read only

so when you put it on to another computer you have to change the properties of the file as has been previously explained

It is only a couple of clicks

John D

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 3:20AM GMT
There wasn't anything to change in the properties though. Thankfully dragging the file from the DVD to my desktop and opening it from there worked.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions