Search for content in message boards

Document Ancestry Media items

Document Ancestry Media items

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 12:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have added photos from other users ancestry trees to my ancestry tree and synced them to my FTM2012. Now that I know more about what I am doing, I need to go into FTM and document where I got those pictures, since it does not appear that sync downloads any information about who submitted the media originally. All of this media is attached to people in my tree, not sources. I want to make sure that I know where I got all the media. Please share how you document this - I am hoping for several different ideas, so I can find one that works for me.
Thanks

Re: Document Ancestry Media items

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 5:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
If I know the source of a photo, I put it in the description (e.g. "From the collection of John Doe, grandson of subject"). I don't try to do this with photos brought over from other trees (unless such attribution is already in the description) for the very reason you note here - so many of the photos were pulled from a tree into FTM, then uploaded as part of a new public member tree, that in many cases the tree you pull it from is several hops removed from the original uploader.

I do also make sure that all the original pictures I upload to my tree have proper attribution (some are scanned from my own photo albums, or those of family members, or have been emailed to me by a family member).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic