Search for content in message boards

Archibald Barnes/ Sarah Atherton 1830- 1860 Larue Co.

Archibald Barnes/ Sarah Atherton 1830- 1860 Larue Co.

Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Atherton
Seeking info on Archibald Barnes and his wife Sarah Atherton. They were married 20 Apr. 1809 in Nelson Co. In the 1850 (Larue Co.) Census he states that he's 63 yrs. old and was born in Maryland. On an adjoining property is an Able Barnes and family. This must be their son, as this was also the name of Achibald's oldest brother. Does anyone know anything about these people or their children?

Re: Archibald Barnes/ Sarah Atherton 1830- 1860 Larue Co.

Deborah Pittman (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: BARNES/CONRAD/PITTMAN
Here is some information for Larry Barnes: I hope this will
help you and maybe it will help me to locate relatives as well.
This info was sent to me from a Dennis Fields; a relative of
the Barnes family:

"Barnes' Gap settlement, named in honor of James Barnes, who
came from England and settled near Baltimore, MD, from where
he came with a company in 1777 and located at an Old Indian
Camp, in what is now known as Barnes' Gap, Ray's Hill. He
followed hunting principally. He was a slaveowner. He had
four sons and three daughters: Abel, Elijah, Samuel, Archibald, Nancy Bell, Jemima, Ruth. They all [except Abel]
went to Kentucky.
Abel Barnes [son of James] married Miss Mary Pool, of Maryland, and remained in the Gap until his death, at the age of 91. He followed hunting and farming; he raised eight
children; five sons and three daughters: Catherine, Mahala, Eliza Jane, Abel [son of Abel & Mary], Lloyd, Samuel, George Washington [Barnes], and Archibald.
Abel Barnes [son of Abel & Mary] married Miss Margaret Bishop, and lived in the Barnes Gap. He was a carpenter, but followed farming and hunting. He had five children:
George Washington [Barnes], Eliza Jane, Margaret Ann, Louisa, and Savannah.
They have been noted for their skill in hunting. Each
generation from the great-grandfather down have been violinists."
This part in quotes was taken from the History of Bedford,
Fulton, and Somerset Counties, and quoted in an article on
our Barnes family tree by Dennis Fields.
Now, if I can get this right: That last George Washington
Barnes [Born October 4, 1846 in Barnes Gap, near Artemas, PA] married Sarah Jane Diehl [Born August 17, 1852, at Clear
Ridge, PA]. Their children were: Anna Belle, Edman, William, Franklin, Elizabeth, Amy, Cordelia, Amanda, Barbara, Kathryn, James Nelson Barnes [born October 6, 1889], Alice, Cora Mae, and Burton.
Now; James Nelson Barnes [b: October 6, 1889, and d: 1965]
first married Callie M. Potts [1901-1924] and then later he
married Virginia Conrad [1903-1985]. OK; if all this makes
any sense; James Nelson Barnes and Virginia [Conrad] Barnes
were my Grandparents! My name is Deborah Pittman. I have
always figured that I have relatives out there that I don't
even know about.
If you need further info; all I can do is copy this booklet
which Mr. Fields sent to me. It is only part of the family
info. Anyway, my Grandparents, James Nelson and Virginia
Barnes, lived in the Chaneysville, PA, and Everett, PA, area
when I was a young child. I know this because I lived with
them on a very small farm outside of Chaneysville.
Sincerely; Debbie Pittman.

Deborah Pittman (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: BARNES/CONRAD/PITTMAN
Here is some information for Larry Barnes: I hope this will
help you and maybe it will help me to locate relatives as well.
This info was sent to me from a Dennis Fields; a relative of
the Barnes family:

"Barnes' Gap settlement, named in honor of James Barnes, who
came from England and settled near Baltimore, MD, from where
he came with a company in 1777 and located at an Old Indian
Camp, in what is now known as Barnes' Gap, Ray's Hill. He
followed hunting principally. He was a slaveowner. He had
four sons and three daughters: Abel, Elijah, Samuel, Archibald, Nancy Bell, Jemima, Ruth. They all [except Abel]
went to Kentucky.
Abel Barnes [son of James] married Miss Mary Pool, of Maryland, and remained in the Gap until his death, at the age of 91. He followed hunting and farming; he raised eight
children; five sons and three daughters: Catherine, Mahala, Eliza Jane, Abel [son of Abel & Mary], Lloyd, Samuel, George Washington [Barnes], and Archibald.
Abel Barnes [son of Abel & Mary] married Miss Margaret Bishop, and lived in the Barnes Gap. He was a carpenter, but followed farming and hunting. He had five children:
George Washington [Barnes], Eliza Jane, Margaret Ann, Louisa, and Savannah.
They have been noted for their skill in hunting. Each
generation from the great-grandfather down have been violinists."
This part in quotes was taken from the History of Bedford,
Fulton, and Somerset Counties, and quoted in an article on
our Barnes family tree by Dennis Fields.
Now, if I can get this right: That last George Washington
Barnes [Born October 4, 1846 in Barnes Gap, near Artemas, PA] married Sarah Jane Diehl [Born August 17, 1852, at Clear
Ridge, PA]. Their children were: Anna Belle, Edman, William, Franklin, Elizabeth, Amy, Cordelia, Amanda, Barbara, Kathryn, James Nelson Barnes [born October 6, 1889], Alice, Cora Mae, and Burton.
Now; James Nelson Barnes [b: October 6, 1889, and d: 1965]
first married Callie M. Potts [1901-1924] and then later he
married Virginia Conrad [1903-1985]. OK; if all this makes
any sense; James Nelson Barnes and Virginia [Conrad] Barnes
were my Grandparents! My name is Deborah Pittman. I have
always figured that I have relatives out there that I don't
even know about.
If you need further info; all I can do is copy this booklet
which Mr. Fields sent to me. It is only part of the family
info. Anyway, my Grandparents, James Nelson and Virginia
Barnes, lived in the Chaneysville, PA, and Everett, PA, area
when I was a young child. I know this because I lived with
them on a very small farm outside of Chaneysville.
Sincerely; Debbie Pittman.

Posted: 20 Jan 2002 12:21AM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2002 5:26PM GMT
Thank you for the info and all your work.

Posted: 20 Jan 2002 12:26AM GMT
Thanks and it's great to meet you cousin.

Posted: 27 Jan 2002 4:54AM GMT
I forgot to ask you. Do you have any photos of your grandparents or their parents?

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Kerrick, Figg
My great-grandfather was Charles Thomas Barnes, born 1871-1876 in Larue County; married in 1905 to Florence Kerrick.
In the 1880 Larue County Census there is a Charles T. Barnes, age four, in the family of Sarah J. Barnes, who was the head of the family. There is also a George W. Barnes listed. The surety for my Charles Thomas (went by the name of Thomas) Barnes' marriage bond was George W. Barnes; and one of the witnesses for the marriage was Garfield Barnes. I assume George W. and Garfield were relatives of my Charles Thomas Barnes.
As far as I can determine, Sarah J. Barnes was Sarah Jane Figg, who married John Barnes in 1859 in Larue County, as his second wife. This John Barnes is listed in the 1850 Census with a different wife. Someone told me that this John Barnes was the son of Archibald Barnes.
Can anyone sort out who might be the parents of my Charles Thomas (Tom) Barnes who died in Jefferson County, Ky. in 1958, and married Florence Kerrick?

Re: Charles Taylor Barnes

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 3:42PM GMT
Hello,
Glad to meet a likely relative. I descend from Elijah Barnes (1777-1845) and his son Armstead (1809-1854) who settled in Meade Co., Kentucky. Elijah was the brother of Samuel, Jemima and Archibald. They were children of James Barnes who died in Nelson County in late 1795. The mother of James' children is unknown at this time. Elijah and Samuel married Rachel and Lydia Willcocks, thought to be sisters.
Archibald Barnes married Sarah Atherton in Nelson Co., Ky. in 1809. Unless an earlier marriage record or other evidence turns up, I don't see anything that points to John, born ca. 1801, being a son of Archibald. Also, Archibald may have been born as late as 1786, making him too young to be the father of John.
I wonder if this John could be the John Barnes who married Elizabeth Vowls, daughter of Catherine Vowls, in Nelson Co. on Dec. 15, 1826? The John who married Vowls is thought to be the son of Samuel Barnes, mentioned above. Also, Elijah Barnes' will in Nelson County in 1845 doesn't mention a son named John. I've not heard of a will being found for Archibald or his known son, Able Barnes.
As a place to start, I would recommend that you get a death cert. for your gr. grandfather as most of these show the names of the parents. I really like death certificates as they (generally) also show birth and death dates, cause and place of death, the informant's name, and place of burial.
I have been slowly compiling Barnes family information and would be very interested in your findings. I live in Kansas. Since I don't live in Kentucky, my research there has really lagged behind other locations. Sorry I wasn't more help at this time. If I can give further details on anything, just email me here or at lbarnesgensearch@yahoo.com

Re: Charles Thomas Barnes

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 3:46PM GMT
Sorry, I mistakenly called your relative Charles Taylor Barnes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions