Search for content in message boards

My Grandmother Ollie Mitchell Lewis

My Grandmother Ollie Mitchell Lewis

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 7:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Lewis
I am trying to find out if anyone has any information on my Grandmother Ollie Mitchell Lewis, she married my Grandfather Henry C. Lewis. Her mother's name is unknown but she is said to have been full-blooded Cherokee.

Ollie Mitchell was born Approximately 1900 (Death Unknown)
Henry C. Lewis was born Approximately 1899 (Death Unknown)
Both were of Harlan Kentucky. When my father last lived at home their address was in Totz, Harlan, Kentucky.

Henry and Ollie had 9 children
Roberta, Clemont, Uneva, Ethel, Daylo Robert, Waldo, William, Ella Jane, and Curtis. All of which to my knowledge are no longer living. The relatives that are alive that I have been able to get in contact with are far removed and know very little.

I have a good idea as to Henry's family line but I am at a standstill when it comes to Ollie's. Especially considering the oral tradition that her mother was Cherokee and I do not know her name (English or Tsalagi).

If anyone has any information I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Curtis

Re: My Grandmother Ollie Mitchell Lewis

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 7:36PM GMT
Hi Curtis. Do you have death dates, burial locations, children,s names of Ollie and Henry? There are many Ollie and Henry Lewis in the state of Kentucky. The more info you can provide helps others to help you.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 5:21AM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 5:22AM GMT
Ollie Mitchell was born Approximately 1900 (Death Unknown)
Henry C. Lewis was born Approximately 1899 (Death Unknown)
Both were of Harlan Kentucky. When my father last lived at home their address was in Totz, Harlan, Kentucky.

Henry and Ollie had 9 children
Roberta, Clemont, Uneva, Ethel, Daylo Robert, Waldo, William, Ella Jane, and Curtis. All of which to my knowledge are no longer living. The relatives that are alive that I have been able to get in contact with are far removed and know very little.

I have a good idea as to Henry's family line but I am at a standstill when it comes to Ollie's. Especially considering the oral tradition that her mother was Cherokee.

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 1:56AM GMT
Edited: 16 Oct 2012 2:06AM GMT
I did find them on the 1940, 1930, and 1920 census. On the 1940 and 1930 it least as Henry and Ollie, but on the 1910, she is listed as Della. I was not able to find a marriage record for them, nor where they are buried. I was not able to find any record that listed Ollie as a Mitchell. You may have this but I will post it so other researchers may know something.

name: Henry Lewis
event: Census
event year: 1940
event place: Magisterial District 2, Leslie, Kentucky, United States
marital status: Married
race (standardized): White
relationship to head of household (standardized): Head
birthplace: Kentucky
estimated birth year: 1901
residence in 1935: Same House
head Henry Lewis Male age 39 Kentucky
wife Ollie Lewis Female age 39 Kentucky
daughter Roeberta Lewis Female age 20 Kentucky
son Daylo Lewis Male age 14 Kentucky
son Waldo Lewis Male age 12 Kentucky
son Gilbert Lewis Male age 10 Kentucky
son Clemont Lewis Male age 7 Kentucky
daughter Ella Jane Lewis Female age 5 Kentucky
daughter Uneva Lewis Female age 2 Kentucky

name: Ollie Lewis
event year: 1940
event place: Magisterial District 2, Leslie, Kentucky, United States
race (standardized): White
relationship to head of household (standardized): Wife

event date: 1930
event place: Cutshin, Leslie, Kentucky
race: White
estimated birth year: 1900
relationship to head of household: Head
father's birthplace: Kentucky
mother's birthplace: Kentucky
head Henry Lewis Male age 30 Kentucky
wife Ollie Lewis Female age 29 Kentucky
daughter Ethel Lewis Female age 14 Kentucky
son Dalo Lewis Male age 5 Kentucky
son Waldo Lewis Male age 3 Kentucky
son William G Lewis Male age 0 Kentucky
head Robert Williams Male age 32 Kentucky
wife Alice Williams Female age 28 Kentucky
son Dennis Williams Male age 7 Kentucky
son Willie Williams Male age 5 Kentucky
son Homer Williams Male age 3 Kentucky
son Arville Williams Male age 0 Kentucky

name: Ollie Lewis
event date: 1930
event place: Cutshin, Leslie, Kentucky
relationship to head of household: Wife

first name: Daylo
last name: Lewis
birth date: 23 July 1925
social security number: 404-32-7351
place of issuance: Kentucky
last residence: Harlan, Kentucky
zip code of last residence: 40823
death date: 24 November 2005
estimated age at death: 80

first name: Waldo
middle name: E
last name: Lewis
birth date: 6 August 1927
social security number: 400-34-8914
place of issuance: Kentucky
last residence: Putney, Harlan, Kentucky
zip code of last residence: 40865
death date: 28 November 1991
estimated age at death: 64

http://www.harlandaily.com/view/full_story_obits/19875854/ar...
Ella Fields

Ella Jane Fields, age 77 of Cumberland, passed away Saturday, August 18, 2012, at the Tri City Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. She was born April 09, 1935 to the late Henry and Ollie Lewis in Harlan County. She spent her life as a homemaker and attended the Poor Fork Church of Christ where she was a member.

In addition to her parents, she is preceded in death by her husband, Eugene Fields; son, Terry W. Fields; brothers, Daylo Lewis, Waldo Lewis, Curtis Lewis and Clemont Lewis; and sisters, Uneva Lewis, Roberta Couch and Ethel Wells.

Ella is survived by her son, Danny A. Fields of Cumberland; one brother, Gilbert Lewis of Sparta, TN; grandchildren, Robin and Jeffery Shoemaker and Bradley Fields; great grandchildren, Devyn Shoemaker, Frederick Shoemaker, Mayhgen Shoemaker; and a host of other family and friends who will miss her.

The family will receive friends in the chapel of the Tri City Funeral Home on Tuesday, August 21, 2012, between 6 – 9 pm. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, August 22, 2012, in the chapel at 1 pm with James Forrester officiating. Interment will follow in the Byrd Isom Cemetery in Letcher County.

Family and friends will serve as pallbearers.

You may leave online condolences for the family at www.harlanobits.net.

Tri City Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Ella Fields

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=co...;

Roberta Couch
Birth: Sep. 19, 1919
Death: Oct. 10, 1962
Burial:
Chappelle Cemetery
Keavy
Laurel County
Kentucky, USA

Created by: Mike
Record added: May 25, 2003
Find A Grave Memorial# 7490878

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyharlan/hiramclewiscemete...
29. Lewis, Uneva 30 Mch 1938-----OSSW Warren Lewis

30. Lewis, Warren 02 Sept 1930-------23 June 1990-----OSSW Uneva Lewis
[s/o Hiram R./Ott (Creech) Lewis]

Census, 1920
residence: , Leslie, Kentucky
relationship to head of household: Self
self Henry Lewis Male age 19y Kentucky
wife Della Lewis Female age 17y Kentucky
dau Robirtie Lewis Female age 3m Kentucky

name: Della Lewis
residence: , Leslie, Kentucky
estimated birth year: 1903
relationship to head of household: Wife

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 2:39AM GMT
Thanks for all that you have done. As far as the Census' go I have that information as well. That is definitely my grandfather and his family, my dad was born in 1942 so he isn't on any of them but those are his siblings. I wasn't aware of the other information though, other than Ella Jane's Obituary that I came across a couple of weeks ago in my research.

Trying to find Ollie's Family is proving difficult. I have a death record on ancestry that is probably hers but I am uncertain if it is or not. I also have one census that I have found in Leslie County with an Ollie Lewis as a daughter of a George and Jane Mitchell but then Jane disappears between the 1900 and 1910 census. I have came across a birth record for an Ollie Mitchell born to a Geo. Mitchell and Kilsey Madden but once again the trail is lost because I can find no other record of a Kilsey Madden. It is quite perplexing.

If I could only find out who Ollie's parents were I would have the largest missing part of the puzzle. I am going to attempt to get the death certificate of the Ollie Mitchell that I have came across in the Death Records but whether or not it will have the information I need I am uncertain; simply because of the laxed nature concerning records during that time and that her mother was said to be Native American.

I did have a conversation with Ella Jane's son and he said that from what he could remember Ollie's mothers name was Cherokee and was something to the effect of che-ka-way-way and that from his memory her dad's name was Cohen or Cowan Mitchell but his memory was failing and could not offer any other help. I am trying to reach Daylo Robert Lewis' family via facebook but at this time they have not responded to any of my messages.

At this point I am at a standstill until I can find her parents information. Do you have any other suggestions because I am sincerely most grateful for what you have done and if there is any way I can assist or re-pay you for your kindness I most certainly will do so.

Sincerely,
Curtis, jr.

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 6:43PM GMT
Thank you Curtis, my pay is the thank you I get for helping. I would suggest trying to get obits, and or death cert. birth cert. on the children of Ollie and Henry. It might give more info and leads. Also if you know where the children might be buried, it might be a lead to where Henry and Ollie are buried. I have saw different maiden names on mothers from the same children before. Sometimes the person filling out the death cert. might not have correct info, so it is more helpful to look at all the children and compare info. I am not sure Ollie was a Mitchell, and this could be your puzzle. Do you know when and where the other children died, and are buried? We might be able to find obits on them. Yes, this is a difficult family to search. I had the same problem you had searching for Ollie before the 1920 census, and the fact that she used the name Della in the 1920 census is confusing. She was under the age of 18 when she married, so if we could find when they married, her parents might be listed on the marriage cert.

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 3:49AM GMT
Your welcome, your help has been very much appreciated.I have my father's death certificate and it has his father listed as "Henry C. Lewis" and his mother as "Ollie Mitchell". All the other Obits that I have found say the same, "son or daughter of Henry and Ollie Lewis of Harlan, KY".

I did came across one Mitchell Family in Cutshin, KY with two daughters, one Della and one Ollie and the birth date fits but the Mother was listed as "Jane Mitchell" and Father "George Mitchell", which I can find no record of Jane Mitchell before or after that. My thought was at first that Henry had married one of two sisters, then divorced and then married the other; because in a later census I find Robertie Lewis living with Henry's Father Robert Lewis. But the family was apparently neighbors because they are listed just after one another on the census. I don't know, I agree it's odd that in the 1920 census the name Della was used.

I think I am going to have to hope the death certificate holds more information and that it is correct. In the mean time it's going to be a matter of trying to find out the burial plots and perhaps someone will come across a post I have made here or there and will know them or of them. I'm making a trip to Harlan next month to speak with a distant relative of my dad (Ella Jane's son) who despite his failing memory may be able to help fill in some clues. It just makes things so hard when your dealing with a family that has so distanced themselves from one another. At the very least I'm hoping to be able to create some sense of family history for my children because I know from experience that growing up without that is unfortunate and at times troubling.

Thanks again for all your help and advice,
Curtis

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 11:39PM GMT
I do hope you are able to find out something on your trip. I did look on findagrave.com and found a few Henry Lewis in Ky, and a few on a Della and Ollie too. There is just no way to know if one of them might be them. Hopefully your relative will know where they are buried. Take your info with you to see if it might help him remember things. You might try checking the county courthouses for the birth certs. on the children. I got copies for $1. each on 11 children a few yrs ago. It was great help. Be sure to make a post if you find something and good luck.

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 2:40AM GMT
That's a good idea, I'll swing by the Leslie and Harlan county libraries while I'm down that way on my trip. Once again thanks for all of your advice and help!

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 3:18AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2012 3:27AM GMT
You asked me to post if I found any further information. After quite a lot of endless hours of research this is what I have so far.

Ollie Mitchell born April 1, 1901

Mother: Elizabeth "Kitsy" Madden
Father: George Mitchell

Elizabeth "Kitsy" Madden born 1858
Twin Brother: Alexander
Mother: Hester Madden
Father: Andrew Yates (not sure is by blood, possibly just by marriage)

Hester Madden born 1819
Mother: Kizzy Madden (1790 -?)
Father: Unknown

1900 Census Information Concerning Kizzy Madden's origin

Name: Hester Yates
Birth Date: Feb 1820
Birthplace: Virginia
Home in 1900: Wooton, Leslie, Kentucky
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Mother
Marital Status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Ireland
Mother's Birthplace: The Netherlands
Household Members:
Name Age
Isaac Yates 29
Hester Yates 80
Catherin Yates 31
Isaac Turner 12

There are two stories that I have come across concerning Kizzy (1790). One states that she was born from a Cherokee Chief named "Chief Two Feathers or Big Feather" depending on the source. The other story states that Hester was previously living with the Clay family with a child named Deliah (proven by the 1860 Census) who later took on the Clay last name after Hester had left. Then in the 1870 Census I find her living with Andrew Yates with the twins Alexander and Elizabeth. This is where the other story picks up. One source states that Hester's twins were the product of a relationship with an unknown Indian and another source states it was a Cherokee Medicine Man. This is curious because in the 1870 Census it states that both Alexander and Elizabeth were Mulatto a term at the time which could designate either Native American or African American ancestry. The family oral tradition holds that she was Cherokee so now my search is on proving or disproving this. I am at a loss at this point because since this was during the time of the "Trail of Tears" it is very possible there will be no evidence or paper trail at all. Especially considering that the father could be Cherokee, and if that is correct then it wouldn't be uncommon for the children not to be accepted by the tribe because they were paternal and not patriarchal; and all family lines were traced through the mothers side. This also could attest to the surname Madden being prevalent for so long in the family line as well. I still have family to visit and gather more information so hopefully I will be able to have more information soon.

I'm also having difficulty finding Kizzy's family. Since all I have is a name and two countries of origin it is proving rather difficult. I have found that Kizzy is an informal name for Keziah which is a name from the Bible usually found in Hebrew families and if this is true than I am looking for a Keziah Madden from more than likely a Jewish family in the Netherlands and an unknown Madden/Maddon from Ireland. So all in all this is going to be quite the research project.

If any of these stories sounds familiar to you please let me know. Once again, thanks for your help and support!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic