Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Photos Unlinking & Transcriptions Disappearing

FTM 2012 Photos Unlinking & Transcriptions Disappearing

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 7:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've noticed a few of my photos became "unlinked" to my ancestry.com tree. For example, my g-grandmother's baptism cert is in FTM's media file, but it is not in the ancestry.com's media file. It WAS there linked to her & the event (baptism).

Also, I had transcribed a record from the Orphan's Court. That transcription is no longer there.

I sync my trees whenever there's a change and backup FTM about once a week.

Has anyone else had either of these problems? I don't mind loosing the transcription half as much as a photo at ancestry.com. Thankfully, the photo was still in the FTM Media folder. I hate to think that I could possibly lose a photo.

Re: FTM 2012 Photos Unlinking & Transcriptions Disappearing

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 10:46PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2013 1:04AM GMT
Is it possible that your trees had not finished syncing when you checked? It can take a while for media to finish the sync process.

Barbara

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 3:47AM GMT
The photo was on ancestry.com for a couple of years and had been synced to my FTM tree. Sometime after I linked the photo to the event, it was no longer displayed on either tree and was not in the ancestry.com media file. I did finally locate it in the FTM Media folder.

The transcription was saved on ancestry.com, so shouldn't it have stayed there? I understand if I didn't wait for the trees to sync completely, but since I didn't originally save the transcription to FTM, I don't know how the transcription disappeared.

The next time I link a photo to an event or add a transcription, I'll pay extra close attention to make sure I'm not forgetting to do something. I'm just glad I didn't lose the photo.

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 3:56AM GMT
I've had at least a couple of media items that were linked to an event become unlinked in the AMT (but still linked to the event in FTM).

No rhyme or reason for it...

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 4:05AM GMT
I can't explain why it might happen. I make a copy of each of my photos and documents before uploading to Ancestry. I have not had any lost yet. I did have all of the default photos on Ancestry.com disconnected one time when I had a problem with the sync feature of FTM. I'm still finding those since there were thousands of them affected. The programmers asked me for some details and logs of what I had done, though I never heard any more from them, other than "that shouldn't have happened and we will try to make sure it doesn't happen again."
If you are not already saving your photos and documents in a backup location, now might be a good time to start. :)
Barbara

Posted: 9 May 2013 2:23AM GMT
I suppose I ought to look on the bright side and be thankful that the pictures haven't been permanently removed. Maybe they'll come up with a fix/patch for the problem one of these days.

Posted: 9 May 2013 2:28AM GMT
Thanks Barbara. I read your post last month & kept thinking "I'll get around to backing things up." I'm finally taking care of that today. I can't imagine the frustration you felt, not only with your photos but also with customer support. As I mentioned in my previous reply, at least the photos haven't disappeared for good. :-)

Posted: 9 May 2013 2:58PM GMT
I'm having this same problem of document unlinking. One occasion is when I've done some research on a female. I'll download facts such as census records which include images. When she marries and I add facts for her with her married name, the original census images become unlinked. The citation is still there and the image is still in my image directory. It is usually still linked under the sex fact but under personal facts it's unlinked. The only resolution I've found is to go back and copy the image to the fact.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions