Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 fractures Places from Ancestry.com - Help!

FTM2012 fractures Places from Ancestry.com - Help!

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 3:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
For those who work with trees on Ancestry.com, synchronized with Family Tree Maker 2012, there is a bug in FTM that splits the Place if it contains a forward slash ("/") as in this example, color-coded to highlight the split:

Ancestry.com place: Toronto (West/Ouest) (City/Cité) Ward/Quartier No 5, Toronto (west/ouest) (city/cité), Ontario, Canada
FTM2012 Residence description: Toronto (West/Ouest) (City/Cité) Ward/Quartier No 5, Toronto (west/ouest) (city
FTM2012 place: Cité), Ontario, Canada

The resulting Place is quite useless and not necessarily unique to, in the example cited, any one city. The GEDCOM directly from Ancestry maintains the place intact; it is only FTM2012 that breaks it.

On researching this issue, I have learned that the slash was used in FTM7-16 to delimit event description from event place in support of a mapping feature. But Ancestry.com databases can have places with slashes in which there is no intention to have them so parsed. Examples are Residence events generated from Canada Census databases for which there are English and French words used, e.g., east/est, west/ouest, City/cite.

I have reported this as a bug and would welcome any contrary or supporting opinions and advice on least effort workarounds to restore the places to their proper values.

Tom

Re: FTM2012 fractures Places from Ancestry.com - Help!

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 3:53PM GMT
Does A.COM actually place "Toronto (West/Ouest)" in its place names? I've never known the city of Toronto on a map or at the post office to have "Toronto (West/Ouest)".

So while FTM should not manipulate in any way a Place that has been entered I think IMHO that this is also a bad place entry that A.COM made.

As far as French vs. English they should be picking a language and using it, not use both.

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 4:12PM GMT
Yes, this is a place for an event generated by a.com from its Canada Census databases. Canada is officially bilingual so that is the way a location is recorded on the census. And, yes, a.com could do us all a service by standardizing its database place names because the complete name is unwieldy and inconsistent with common place naming conventions.

As to place names that are truly bilingual, the user should have their choice of preferred language, e.g., Three Rivers and Trois Rivieres, a sizeable town in Quebec, known both ways to both language groups over centuries.

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 7:08PM GMT
I found a way to recombine the fractured places in FTM2012 using Fact Data Options but it seems needlessly tedious.

1. Find a place with an unbalanced ")" in the name, e.g., "sud), Ontario, Canada". You can do this by browsing the list of places (a wildcard or, even better, a regular expression search on the list would be more effective but are unsupported). Alternatively, you can use Edit > Find and pick a likely fact type such as Residence and do a wildcard search on "*)*" and browse the search results.

2. Either way you need to pick a person and go to the Person view.

3. Select the fact having the fractured place name, e.g.: Place / Description = "sud), Ontario, Canada; Kingsville (Village), Essex (south". (note the semi-colon is the separator on screen).

4. You could edit this one instance in the right panel but there may be more of the same so click on Options > Fact data options > acknowledge the back-up prompt as you see fit > and arrive at the screen FactType "Fact Data Options".

5. In this screen, select "Show facts for:" "All inidviduals" > longer list and "Uncheck all". Click on the Place header to sort the list by place and scroll down to find the cluster of facts in "sud), Ontario, Canada". Check all these facts.

6. Check the box for "Move data in the selected facts" and the option "Swap place and description" > OK

7. After processing, you will be back at the Person view and Place / Description now = "Kingsville (Village), Essex (south; sud), Ontario, Canada" but the complete place is still fractured between the Place and Description fields. So, reiterate steps 4 and 5 except sort and scroll on the Description field to find the "sud)..." cluster and check them.

8. Check the box for "Move data in the selected facts" and the option "From description to place" > OK. Now the Place / Description line reads "Kingsville (Village), Essex (south/sud), Ontario, Canada" which is exactly what is shown in the Place field on the right hand side with the Description field blank.

Repeat for all such occurrences of fractured places.

Do not sync yet - it might undo things and certainly does not prevent it from happening again for these same facts. Better to proceed to standardize these place names without the slash characters and so that they can be geocoded and thus mapped. Then sync up to the Ancestry tree and, hopefully, that will lock down those facts so that their places will not be fractured again in a downward sync.

Tom

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 1:04AM GMT
Thanks I have had this on my tree. I just fixed them in location but hadn't checked to make sure it "stuck."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions