Search for content in message boards

Can't view images at all - new image viewer download won't install

Can't view images at all - new image viewer download won't install

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 1:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
The new image viewer won't load - it just keeps popping up every second but it doesn't give me chance to click on it before it disappears and then appears again. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Also, there's no way to work around it - if you can't load the new image viewer there's no way to use the old version.

Honestly, in the past few days I've had nothing but trouble from ancestry.com's service. I'm thinking that I might end my subscription for a while - I don't see why I should pay to beta test this stuff.

Re: Can't view images at all - new image viewer download won't install

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 3:31PM GMT
When the page to download the viewer blinks and disappears, that means that your computer already had the viewer installed. Sorry I couldn't give you more help, but thought you would want to be aware of that.

Liz

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 5:46PM GMT
Well that's good to know. I wonder why it keeps reloading again?

It's also funny that this is only happening on the ancestry.co.uk site - the US-based ancestry.com site works fine, but it's impossible to do a more British-focused search on that site.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 7:21PM GMT
My image viewer was working just fine until this morning when I decided to clear my cache. That's when the image viewer problem popped up. As other's have experiencecd, the viewer download pops up and disappears, several times. After about 3 times of doing that, it stopped long enough for me to click download. Of course, the viewer is already downloaded so even though the download successful message appears, when I try to view a census again, the same thing happens again and again. I can find the location where the image viewer is stashed on my computer and know it is installed but still through AOL and IE browsers, the thing does not work. I can still view the images using Mozilla Firefox which was not messed up when I cleared the AOL and IE cache. Has this same thing happened when others have cleared their cache. That seems to be the problem.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 7:49PM GMT
I did indeed clear my cache before this started happening. It's really annoying - a person should be able to clear his cache without having software go loopy on him. This sort of stuff really ticks me off.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 7:54PM GMT
By the way, it's still not fixed. I guess if there's a lesson to be learned here it's this - for goodness sake don't clear your cache if you use ancestry.co.uk's enhanced image viewer - at least until their programmers stop screwing up the programs.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 7:58PM GMT
That seems to be the sticking point I betcha. Clearing the cache seems to bring this on. Incidentally, I am in the US so it is not an Ancestry UK problem-it's a general problem. Since I am not having a problem with Firefox, I would guess the problem lies between IE and Ancestry somewhere which puts us frustrated subscribers squarely in the middle. Thankfully, I can still use Firefox. By the way, seems the first thing an Ancestry adviser tells us users to do is clear the cache!!!!!

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 8:11PM GMT
Hmmm. Maybe the US site is working because I use it so infrequently - maybe I cleared the English cache info out but not the US one. I'm kinda scared to clear my cache again in case the US image viewer goes down too.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 8:13PM GMT
My advice is don't clear your cache until Ancestry decides there is a problem and finally fixes it. But don't hold your breath.

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 3:52AM GMT
Well I didn't touch anything on my system and now the US site is doing the exact same thing as the UK site. I guess I've nothing to lose now by clearing my cache. Right now ancestry.com is altogether useless for me as I can't access any document on the site.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions