Search for content in message boards

WILLIAM DUNCAN B. 1694

WILLIAM DUNCAN B. 1694

Posted: 22 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: DUNCAN, RAWLEY, RALEIGH
I am searching for information and descendants of William Duncan b. april 19,1694 Dumfrieshire,Scotland, Perth, Scotland. He was married to Ruth Rawley (raleigh) b. 1702 Culpepper, Va, USA. William died Oct. 1781, Culpepper Co, Va, USA. He married Ruth Feb. 11, 1722, Orange CO, VA,USA. I am looking for his ancestors and descendants in Scotland. Any Duncan cousins there in Scotland would like to hear from you, as I have information on Duncans after their arrival in USA. Much thanks, Anna. E-Mail Address is, annas50@yahoo.com

William Duncan

Chester Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Duncan, Rawley, Raleigh
The William Duncan b 1694 you listed is actually Wm Duncan, III, his father was Wm Duncan,II b 10-1-1659 in Glen Eagles, Perthshire, m Margaret McMurde 6-24-1682, his GF was William Robert Duncan, The Elder b 1-7-1630 Perth, m Susan Haldane 8-29-1657. See the www.FamilySearch.com site, ancestral file for a complete pedigree of Wm Duncan,The Elder to a John Duncan b 1753, Culpeper Va., my GGGGGranfather. Wm. the Elder was beheaded for refusing to take the Jacobite Oath in 1692 at Glasgow, Scotland. I am looking for sources of information on the trail(If there was such a thing), the beheading and where Wm the Elder may be buried. I am planning my second trip to Scotland within the next year and want to do some additional research while there. Anyone with information or suggestions please contact me.

WILLIAM DUNCAN B 1694

Posted: 4 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DUNCAN
CHESTER, THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION, IT WAS APPRECIATED, AND I WILL CHECK OUT THE FAMILY SEARCH SITE. I AM POSTING MY E-MAIL SITE GET IN TOUCH, annas50@yahoo.com. IT SEEMS MY ORIGINS ARE MUCH MORE SCOTCH THAN ANYTHING, FROM DUNCANS AND PATTERSONS, I HAVE NEVER BEEN OUTSIDE USA, I HOPE YOU START A WEBSITE AND SCAN IN SOME PICTURES OF SCOTLAND ONTO IT. MY GREAT-GRANDMOTHER USED TO TELL US STORIES OF SCOTLANDS BEAUTY AND HISTORY THAT WAS HANDED DOWN THROUGH THE GENERATIONS IN HER FAMILY TO HER.I AM WRITING A BOOKLET ABOUT AN INDIAN ATTACK ON ONE BRANCH OF THE PATTERSON BRANCH OF THE FAMILY AND HOW A GRANDMOTHER STOOD UP TO BENGE AND BLUE JACKET. SOMEDAY I WILL GET TO SCOTLAND THOUGH. AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION. ANNA

William Duncan 1804

LEROY DUNCAN (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Duncan

Would your William Duncan be a relative to my ggggrandfather William Duncan born in Pa.1804.
Married Ellen Ludwick,then moved to Rippley Co.In.

Sons of Rev William Duncan

Chester Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dear Anna,
The LDS Ancestral file and Pedigree Chart on Rev. William Duncan(b 7Jan1630)indicates he m Susan (Sarah) Haldane(b Abt 1635) on 29 Aug 1657 in Glasgow and shows the sons names as William b 10 Jan 1659 Perthshire d 1720
Culpeper Va., Charles b 6 Sep 1662 Perthshire, Henry b 11 Jan 1664 Perthshire, and Thomas b 28 Jan 1665. They also had daughters Susan b 1-28-1665(Twin to Thomas) and Mary b 2-1-1667.
Your dates of Wm.II b 1644 and Alexander b 1646 would have Rev. Wm Duncan(b 7Jan1630) a father of Wm. II(b 1644)at the age of 14. It is possible, but the LDS dates make more sense.
Please check your information and let us know.

WILLIAM DUNCAN

Surnames: DUNCAN, PATTERSON
i BELIEVE WE ARE RELATED, AN ANCESTOR WILLIAM DUNCAN WAS BEHEADED IN SCOTLAND FOR HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS AND THE FAMILY CAME TO AMERICA. WILLIAM DUNCAN OF PERTHSHIRE, SCOTLAND CAME TO AMERICA BECAUSE HIS FATHER WAS BEHEADED, WILLIAMS SON BENJAMIN WHOM I DESCEND THROUGH SETTLED IN ANDERSON COUNTY.WILLIAM R. DUNCAN B. 4-19-1692 IN CULPEPPER VA, DIED 1790 WASHINGTON VA MARRIED A RUTH RAWLEY B ABT. 1702 CULPEPER CO VA MARRIED 2-11-1721/22 IN ORANGE COUNTY VA THEIR SON WILLIAM DUNCAN BORN 4-29-1726 CULPEPER, CULPEPER CO VA D.5-17-1790 CULPEPER VA MARRIED ABT.1756 IN CULPEPER CO VA TO ROSANNA NORMAN B. ABT. 1730 CULPEPER VA THEN TO MY BENJAMIN WAS HIS SON.A WILLIAM DUNCAN REV. B 1-7-1630 PERTHSHIRE SCOTLAND SP SARAH HALDANE B 1634 PERTHSHIRE SCOTLAND SECOND SPOUSE JANET MCARTHUR B 1634 PERTHSHIRE SCOTLAND, THEIR CHILDREN WERE WILLIAM DUNCAN B. 1644 SCOTLAND, ALEXANDER B 1646 KILBOURNIE, SCOTLAND JOHN DUNCAN B 1648 SCOTLAND. I AM ASSUMING PERHAPS THESE WERE THE BROTHERS THAT CAME TO AMERICA. I WILL HAVE TO CONTACT FAMILY MEMBERS AND OTHER RESEARCHERS TO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE. WILL POST MORE AS I FIND THE INFORMATION. ANNA

Wiliam Duncan 1804

Leroy Duncan (View posts)

William had a son James B 1827 Rippley Co. In. James had a son Charles Monroe B. 1855 Rippley Co. He had a son James R. B 1883 Rippley Co. In. Charles and James moved to Marion Co. Tn. My father and I were born in Hamilton Co. Tn. The story in our family was, that about four brothers came over from Scotland to America, after their father was killed. I am not sure if that is the true story. I can only go back as far as William.
I am unable to fine out were he was born or married in Pa. Any information would help.

WILLIAM DUNCCAN 1804

I AM NOT SURE, IF THERE IS A RELATIONSHIP.THE LINE I DESCEND FROM IS THROUGH BENJAMIN DUNCAN MARIED TO MARY DAVIS. THEY DID HAVE A SON WILLIAM B.1797 IN NELSON, KENTUCKY. YOUR WILLIAM COULD HAVE BEEN A COUSIN TO THE FAMILY I DESCEND THROUGH. I WILL CHECK WITH SOME OTHER FAMILY RESEARCHERS AND SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT. I WILL POST YOU THE RESULTS. DID ANY OF YOUR FAMILY SETTLE IN ANDERSON COUNTY, TENNESSEE, USA? THANKS ANNA

rev william duncan

Posted: 15 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
CHESTER, YOU MAY BE RIGHT. ALTHOUGH, AFTER THE LDS TOLD US THAT OUR GREAT-GRANDMOTHER WAS MARRIED TO A MAN WE HAD NEVER HEAR OF AND HAD ONLY ONE CHILD , WHEN SHE MARRIED ONE PERSON OUR GREAT-GRANDFATHER AND REMAINED WITH HIM TILL THE DAY SHE DIED HAVING HAD 12 CHILDREN TOGETHER. I NOW TAKE THEIR INFORMATION WITH A GRAIN OF SALT UNTIL I HAVE CHEKED THROUGH DOCUMENTED SOURCES. THEY MAY HAVE THEIR INFORMATION TOTALLY CORRECT AS YOU HAVE STATED, AND MAYBE THEIR IS A MISTAKE IN OUR FAMILYS TRANSCRIPTION OF RECORDS AND FACTS. I WOULD SUGGEST TO LEROY THAT HE CONTACT YOU DIRECTLY, CHECK THE LDS INFORMATION, AND SOURCE DOCUMENTATION. LEROY I AM SORRY FOR ANY MISUNDERSTANDING OR MISINFORMATION THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED YOU.CHESTER, THANKS FOR YOUR CORRECTION. ANNA

(rev) William Duncan

Posted: 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi chester, hope research going okay. I have recieved some more info, it has not been proven yet, please check out for source documentation. The info is that (rev) william duncan, The Elder, was beheaded 2Jan 1692. He recieved his AM degree of Theology in 1648 from Kings College of Aberdeen appointed to help rev. William Davidson minister Auchindeir? on Oct. 21, 1652 and admitted to parish of Kildrummy before Oct. 18, 1653 , in 1666 William took the pastorate at a small community of New Kilpatrick a few miles northwest of Glasgow in Village now called Bearsden as escoplian minister. William ejected from his office for informing against members of the resistance to Episcopalianism. His children fled to va where they settled in the region called the Northern neck. William died near GLasgow. William beheaded for refusing o take Jacobite oath, when Charles 11 restored to throne.He was born near Firth of tay, Perthshire of Scots Royal Family? Some of the othr resources said died elsewhere. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic