Search for content in message boards

Family Tree online - FTM Software

Family Tree online - FTM Software

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
While in the process of moving from an old to new laptop I made additions to my family tree on line. I have made quite a few changes to the on line version and now I want to load my FTM software onto the new laptop. Can I open the on-line version and sync it with the last copy I backed up or will I lose something?

Re: Family Tree online - FTM Software

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 10:16PM GMT
We need a bit more info to be of much help.
What version of FTM?
Were FTM and the AMT previously linked and synced?
How long has it been "moving to a new laptop"?
How was the "backup" you intend to use created?

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 6:39AM GMT
I use FTM 2012 and the back-up was simply made from the 'save' feature on the software.

When I load up my older back-up will it sync to the later on-line version?

The version on my laptop is about a month behind the on-line version.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 2:30PM GMT
My understanding is that just copying the FTM file and media folder is not enough. One needs a file that contains the sync information. See this thread for details. http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/9489...

The other option is to do a restore on the new computer of a FTM backup file made on the old computer. One of the patches to FTM 2012 was to allow the backup to retain and restore the sync/link info.

One month of data additions could be a challenging sync, but should work. If it does not work, the other option is to just break link on the AMT on Ancestery and download, link/sync the AMT to the new computer.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 3:38PM GMT
>>the other option is to just break link on the AMT on Ancestery and download, link/sync the AMT to the new computer.<<

This is the safest way to go, with a month of changes since the last sync.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 10:41PM GMT
You can only sync from one computer to the online Ancestry.com database. If you did not create the FTM file originally on your laptop, it won't sync with the online file. I have heard rumors they are going to offer mulitple computer syncing. I sure hope they fix the 1-computer sync rock solid before going there.

Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions