Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 Changed some persons place -- was sync to web

FTM2012 Changed some persons place -- was sync to web

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I noticed last week that some people in my tree had some of there place association changed. My tree was synced to the web and in the past I have done some on the web version, that may have created the problem. I have also used non US standard type keys for special names.

I called CS and the 3 persons I talked to could not even understand what had happen. I emailed a sync error report to CS and they sent a form email about standard place names. I emailed them back and asked if anybody actually read and gave my phone number nobody called.

I went back a couple of months and found a correct saved file one with no corruption and now going thru 4,000 person to confirm.

Anybody else had places changed.

And yes I did not do a name change or replace. Had I done that ALL would have changed.

Re: FTM2012 Changed some persons place -- was sync to web

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 1:54AM GMT
Something similar has happened to me with place names, where it has changed to another place in my file, but if you look at all the people or events associated with that place these "changed" records do no show as linked to that place.

In my case it was 6 records attached to Boone County Indiana that had gotten overwritten with a town in Massachusetts (where I had over 100 people attached).

I went in and manually changed the places back one at a time. (I actually copied the file over before I did this, and did this in the copied file as a test). I changed the first one, but made sure I was only changing a single instance and not the "all instances". Then, I went to change the next one. I noticed that the number for the "change all" had decreased by one, and that it was only reporting the number based on the number that would be correct for Boone and not the Mass. town.

I had something similar happen before a few months before that. It is like the data value for the place gets overwritten with text for another place but not actually "changed" at a deep enough level to be linked with the place that had that actual value.

Tech support is clueless on this.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 5:00AM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2013 5:01AM GMT
This behavior has been reported on this board several times in recent weeks and months.

Which is why some of us still don't trust the sync process and don't sync.

If you don't want this type of behavior to recur, the only option for the foreseeable futures is to break the sync with your FTM file and ancestry, or copy your FTM file and start entering data into that stand-alone FTM file.

Otherwise, there is no scheduled date that this will be fixed, or even acknoweldged by customer support that the problem exists.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 10:28PM GMT
While I do sync, this change did not happen during a sync for me.

I was working in my file when it "crashed". The record open at the time had the Boone location. When I rebooted and reopened the file it had the "new" location data. No sync involved.

Same with the previous time although the connection was not as apparent.

This is data values being changed at a deep level.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 3:53AM GMT
Hey.. someone had to be the guinea pigs.
I'm happy to do that and haven't had too much trouble yet.
But I sure do keep multiple backups, at least four per day.

Posted: 18 May 2013 1:33AM GMT
I have used FTM since 1999. I have had my tree ruined. Citations were attached to all different individuals, not even family lines. I attempted to get help from support. No answer that worked. Deleted tree. Began with old backup tree. Now everyone has their "leaf" hint. They are giving me info from the tree I deleted. The info that was attached to wrong individuals. Called support. Told index only updates about once a month! Guess its back to paper and pen

Posted: 18 May 2013 3:26PM GMT
There's lots of solutions other than paper and pen; although that is the most "permanent" way to keep records. 1. Ignore all hints.
2. Don't sync.
3. Use different genealogy software...
etc...

Posted: 18 May 2013 4:05PM GMT
Yes, you are certainly correct. But, one of the reasons for paying for Ancestry.com was to be able to make genealogy easier. I will now think of it as a resource. I really enjoy all the help from other individuals on this site. Thanks for the feedback!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions