Search for content in message boards

Edward G. Strobel

Edward G. Strobel

Robert Aldrich (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Strobel
Looking for information on Edward G. Strobel who was living on Railroad Avenue in Walterboro ca. 1900. He also appears to have purchased a cemetery lot, #32, at Live Oak Cemetery in/near Walterboro after 1900. Edward's widow was still living at the above address by 1920 with two of their daughters, Emaline(sp) and Elizabeth Strobel.

Strobel

William Syfrett (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Live Oak Cemetery is located in Walterboro,Colleton County, S. C. and E. G. Strobel - DoB: 23 Oct 1857, DoD: 22 Mar 1902; Chevillette Fuller Strobel - DoB: 25 Apr 1862, DoD: 23 May 1946 and Chevillette Sims Strobel - age 5, DoD: 01 Sep 1890 are still resting in plot/lot #32. Emmeline S. Marvin - DoB: 18 Sep 1892, DoD: 05 Feb 1979 (Daughter of Edmund G. & Chevillette Fuller Strobel) is also buried there with her husband James Poyas Marvin & a son James Poyas Marvin, Jr. There is a Annette Strobel Jones - DoB: 21 Jun 1882, DoD: 06 Oct 1912 and her husband Henry William Jones; a Wilhelmina Strobel Lee - DoB: 22 Aug 1887, DoD: 14 Jun 1958 and her husband George Bernard Lee and Elizabeth Fuller Jones (daughter of Henry W. & Annett Strobel Jones)with her husband Howell Carlisle Jones. I hope that this will be of some help. This information is from a list I made when researching Confederate Veterans buried in Live Oak Cemetery. If any of these are of interest, please contact me and I will be glad to double check the information and if you would like, I will take photos of these markers.
Posted: 15 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2003 5:09AM GMT
Surnames: Strobel
The following information was extracted from the David Gavin diary of 1850-1870's Colleton (now Dorchester Co.) of SC.

Murray, Elizabeth M., dau. of Maj. Daniel and T. Moorer and granddaughter of Capt. Daniel and Elizabeth Strobel, great granddaughter of John Aberly, died 31 Dec, 1859, pg. 185.

Mrs. Eliza Bowyer, widow of Wm. Bowyer, dau. of Capt. Daniela and Elizabeth Strobel, died 17 July 1875 at Georges Station (St. George). Her great grandfather was John Aberly.

Anna Strobel, wife of Dr. John E. Strobel and daughter of Dr. Wm. & Elizabeth M. Murray died 18 Oct. 1870. Notation of "long afflicted, young in years, . . . . buried at family burying ground. Aged over 28." *note-possible this cemetery is now known as the Spring Branch Cemetery in upper Dorchester Co., SC.

Strobel

William Syfrett (View posts)
Of the cemetery information that I have available, these are the only Strobels that are buried in Colleton County as it is today. The current Dorchestor County was a part of Colleton District/County until 1897. If you make a trip to Walterboro, I would suggest you visit our library and check the microfilm of the Press and Standard on these persons. Their obits may provide some links. Good Luck.

Edward G. Strobel

Surnames: STROBEL
I can't thank you enough for all of this good information! I have been trying to determine if E. G. Strobel was connected to the same group out of St. George area. Were there any older Strobel graves?

Again, thanks so much. I am sure that if I do make a connection, I will plan to visit Live Oak in the coming months. If not, he is probably connected to John G. Strobel of Blacksville, as these were the only Strobel families in SC in 1850's/1860's.

Strobel Family

Posted: 16 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
E. G. Strobel was not a descendant of Johann Casper Strobel.
E. G. Strobel was the son of John G. Strobel who petitioned the court in Barnwell to grant him citizenship in 1853. John G. Strobel was born in Saxony, Germany and arrived in the US in 1840 at the age of 13. He married a Louisa Neely or Neeley. There were several sons by John and Louisa.
One son, John Robert Strobel, is buried in the Ott Cemetery and may have been misidentified as being a member of the more familiar Strobel family of Colleton/Orangeburg area.

Daniel Strobel, who married Elizabeth Aberly, was a descendant of Johann Casper Strobel of Lampertheim, Germany. It would appear that one of his sons, Daniel Strobel, Jr. was married previous to that of Annie Murray. By this first marriage there were the following sons: William Strobel who married Martha West, widow of D. R. Bowman; Jacob G. Strobel who married Arabelle unknown; Daniel V. Strobel who married Susan Catherine Pendarvis; John R. Strobel who may have been the spouse of Mary E. Wimberly. There was another possible son, David L. Strobel who married a Frances unknown. Jacob and Daniel both settled near Newnansville, Alachua, Florida, before 1850. William and John R. Strobel remained in SC.

In about 1860 it is known that David Gavin's brother, Charles Gavin was also living in the Newnansville area and is enumerated in the Alachua County census as a near neighbor to the above Strobels. By 1870, Charles was widowed and his only daughter had moved back to SC.
Charles would later remove himself to South America.

David and Charles Gavin and the sons of Daniel Strobel, Jr. mentioned above were related through the Aberly family.

The brother of Daniel Strobel, who married Elizabeth Aberly, Albert Strobel, married Elizabeth Bowman, daughter of Jacob Bowman and Catherine Carn. Catherine was a descendant of Lewis J. Carn and Catherina Elizabeth Strobel. Catherina was the brother of Casper Strobel, father of Albert and Daniel Strobel.

Albert Strobel and Elizabeth Bowman had at least three children: Anna Elizabeth Strobel, who married John R. Moorer, Jr.; David Strobel, who married Sarah Spell; and a third child who many feel is the John Strobel who died in 1830's and whose widow married Major Abner Jackson who migrated to Texas. It is said that Abner Jackson raised the son of John Strobel, Lewis M. Strobel. Lewis in turn named one of his sons, Abner Strobel, all of Brazos, Texas.
There is not total agreement over this, however.

Anna Elizabeth Strobel, who married John R. Moorer, Jr., had several children. One daughter, Ann C. Moorer, married Simeon Hussey. One of the children of this marriage, John M. Hussey, in turn, married Mary Ann C. Strobel, his cousin, the daughter of David Strobel and Sarah Spell.

John M. Hussey's brother, Simeon Albert Hussey, had a daughter, Ada Hussey. Ada's daughter, Mattie Knight, married John R. Strobel, Jr, Ada being the wife of Willis Townsend Knight, the son of Samuel Knight and Mary Patrick. John R. Strobel, Jr. was the son of John R. Strobel, who was the son of Daniel Strobel, Jr.

John R. Strobel's brother, William W. Strobel, married Fannie Knight, granddaughter of Samuel Knight, cousin of Mattie Knight.

Ad infinitum !

Strobels

Posted: 17 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
How are you connected? I am the great great grandson of
Mary Ann C. Strobel who married John M. Hussey.

STROBEL FAMILY - REUNION?

C. Traxler Nicholas (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STROBEL, TRAXLER, CARN, PENDARVIS
There seems to be a lot of interest the STROBEL and related families. Would there be any interest in having a reunion?
Has anyone gotten any information from Lampertheim, Germany?

C. Traxler Nicholas

Strobel Family

Posted: 18 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STROBEL, CARN, HUSSEY, BOWMAN, SPELL
I am also a descendant of Catherina Elizabeth Strobel and Lewis J. Carn and I am a descendant of her brother Casper Strobel. It would appear that Casper's son, Albert Strobel, married Elizabeth Bowman, the daughter of Jacob Bowman and Catherine Carn. Albert and Elizabeth had a son, David Strobel, who married Sarah A. Spell. David and Sarah's daughter, Mary Ann. C. Strobel, married John M. Hussey. John and Mary's daughter, Annie E. Hussey married David A. Reeves. David and Annie Reeves 5th daughter, Annie L. Reeves, married Robert Bryan Aldrich, II, son of Robert Bryan Aldrich and Rosa T. Thompson of Charleston. Annie L Reeves Aldrich was my grandmother.

Catherine Carn, who married Jacob Bowman, was the daughter of Lewis J. Carn and Catherina Elizabeth Strobel.

But, it actually is more involved as John M. Hussey's grandmother was Anne Elizabeth Strobel, daughter of Albert Strobel and Elizabeth Bowman. John Hussey's mother was Ann C. Moorer, daughter of John R. Moorer and Anne Elizabeth Strobel. Anne Elizabeth Strobel was the sister of David Strobel who married Sarah A. Spell.

What is your line ?

Strobel connection

C. Nicholas (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
I am the great great great grandaughter of Catherine Elizabeth Strobel who married(c. 1742)Lewis J. Carn.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic