Search for content in message boards

Wilkinson line from Beford Co. Va area

Wilkinson line from Beford Co. Va area

Posted: 7 May 2001 11:17AM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2002 9:06PM GMT
I am looking for information on the following Wilkinson family line; they came to Putnam and Kanawha Co. area around 1830 from Bedford Co. Va area. Nicholas Wilkinson who had a son named Joseph Wilkinson, who had a son named Parson Wilkinson, who had a son David Wilkinson who was born in eith 1797 ro 1798 in Bedford Co. Va. He and his wife Nancy Thomas came to WV around 1830. I would appreciate any info or connection that someone might have to share. Thanks Rosetta

Re: Wilkinson Family of Virginia

Posted: 7 May 2001 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 4:39PM GMT
Rosetta: My beloved wife, now deceased was the descendant of Nicholas Wilkinson of Powhatan Co., VA. In my research of this family I have learned that Nicholas Wilkinson born around 1700 in Yorkshire England and settled in the area of Virginia now known as Powhatan Co., VA. It is believes he married a woman named Agnes Bolling. They had a family of 8 children(Joseph, William, Thomas, Nicholas,Jr. John Mary, Agnes and James). Joseph Wilkinson born May 12, 1729 in Jamestown, VA. died March 15, 1829 in Bedford, Va. Joseph married 1st. Penelope Parsons around 1753 and it was they who moved to Bedford Co., Va. 2nd Married to Rhoda Lockett on Dec 31, 1808. Rhoda was the daughter of Richard Lockett and Mary Ann Logwood. Joseph and Penelope had at least 4 children ( John, Penelope, Parson, and Owen). Parson born in 1764 in Bedford died in May 1837 Married to Anna Butler on Aug 31, 1784. JOseph had a 5th son by Rhoda who they named William.

Now for some reason or another,and I have no idea just why, all of the 5 children and all of the grandchildren of Joseph spelled their name as Wilkerson.

This is about all that I know of this branch of the Wilkinson Family. I do have information all the way down from Nicholas Wilkinson to that of my wife's mother who was Pearl Radford Wilkinson of Richmond, VA.

If you by chance have any questions contact me at maraudermn@aol.com

Information on Nicholas Wilkinson

Posted: 7 May 2001 6:23PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2002 9:06PM GMT
Dear Bernie,

Thank you so much for your info; Today, on Ancestry.com, I found the following info on Nicholas; b. 1710, Yorkshire, England; died 1796 Powhatan Co., Va, married to Anges Bolling. I appreciate the info on Nicholas so much; I just recently found him; the Wilkinsons is my husbands line, which goes, Nicholas, Joseph, Parson, David, Ziba, Ziba, Clyde, to my husband Zibe; it has been difficult to find, since David did spell his last name Wilkerson, but no one else did. If you need any info from David forward, I would be more than happy to give it to you. I have lots of info from David forward, I just did not have much from Parson on back. I appreciate your help, since my husband and I have 4 sons, and I want so much for them to know where they came from. Thank you.
Rosetta

Re; Nicholas Wilkinson

Posted: 8 May 2001 10:39AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 4:39PM GMT
Dear Rosetta: Thank you for your kind offer for information on your Wilkinson line of the Family. I am not really researching this family any further because I have in my possession a book titled: "My Wife's Family" by Noah H. Bradley of Powhatan Co. VA. It just so happens that his wife was the great grandaughter of Andrew Jackson Wilkinson who was the oldest brother of Napoleon Dabney Wilkinson, who was my wife's grandfather. Just about everything in the book on Noah's wife also relates to my wife.

Also for your information there was another Wilkinson Family in Virginia. They were the descendants of John Wilkinson and Sarah Royall who settled in Souteastern Part of Virginia in the early 1600s. Regards, Bernis

Re: Information on Nicholas Wilkinson

pattie grady (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2001 12:14AM GMT
Where is proof of Nicholas of Powhatan marrying Agnes Bolling? I have researched this thoroughly and live within a few miles of where Nicholas and family lived. Would like to "discuss" this with someone!!!

Re: Wilkinson line from Beford Co. Va area

Posted: 6 Aug 2001 12:34AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2002 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Wilkinson
Hi, Rosetta, I am familiar with this Wilkinson family. I have researched it for 8 years. My email is lylewilk@hotmail,com
Let me hear from you and compare notes. Lyle.

Posted: 6 Aug 2001 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2002 10:47PM GMT
Bernard, I read your reply to Rosetta with great interest. A David Wilkinson came to Kanawha County from Bedford County, Virginia with his wife, Nancy Thomas, the daughter of David Thomas and Nancy Gatewood in 1830 with four children. He and Nancy had four more children in the coming years. All that is found in the Bedford records of David Wilkinson is his marriage record. Family tradition says that David was the son of Parsons.
Bearnard, Please contact me at lylewilkAhotmail.com. Lyle

Posted: 12 Aug 2001 2:53PM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2002 8:03PM GMT
I have some information on Nicholas Wilkinson. I did not know who he was married to nor did I know his birth date. However I do have his death date as 1786 in Powhattan, Va. I also have info. on his ancestry going back into England to somewhere prior to 1600s. If interested e-mail me at cjdeari@powerweb.net and I shall be happy to give you what I can. Bear in mind that when you go back that far the info can well be subject to error.

Ed Alexander (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2001 1:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
HI Bernard: I married a Powhatan girl. My wife's great grandfather was Alfred Wilkinson. I have been trying to go further back in the line. The Powhatan 1810 census shows James Wilkinson, Thomas Wilkinson, Galleo Wilkinson, John Wilkinson, all as heads of families. There is also a Nickolas Wilkinson mentioned in several deeds in the latter part of the 1700's. Powhatan became a county in 1777. Alfred was listed in the 1860 census as 37 years old. He was an overseer. I haven't been able to make the connection yet but there could be one. Any ideas?

Ed

Posted: 7 Jun 2002 6:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Nicholas was my 6th greatgrandfather,any info would help.Thanks, James Wilkinson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions