Search for content in message boards

Danish prison records

Danish prison records

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello - I recently found that my great-great grandfather had served time in prison in Denmark. According to the probate record for his father, from 1866, my great-great grandfather was in "tugthuset", which I have seen translated as prison.

So, I'm hoping that prison records for that period exist and are available somewhere. If anyone out there is familiar with how the prison system in Denmark worked back then, would you be able to tell me if there were local prisons at various locations in Sjæland, or if someone lived on that island, were they sent to prison in Copenhagen? My gg grandfather lived in the county of Holbæk, not far from Copenhagen.

Also, would anyone know where I would search for prison records for that period?

Thanks,
John

Re: Danish prison records

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 1:27PM GMT
Hi,

There are many rpison records kept at the danish archives not online.

you could try to ask the archive, they might do some research for you for a fee:
mailbox@ra.sa.dk

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 5:08PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2013 5:25PM GMT
By 1866 only two places in Denmark were referred to as "Tugthuset", se below. Other (more local) prisons were often called "Arrest" or "Arresthus".

If the term Tugthuset is used correctly then it must be in Horsens or Vridsloeselille (both State prisons).

The list of convicts from Horsens 1870 is available online. I'm not sure about Vridsloeselille, but I'll check that.

To find Horsens Tugthus (the State prison in Jutland) go to:
http://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside/find_folketallinger#

Pick:
- Aargang: 1870
- Stedbetegnelse: Koebstad
- Amt: Skanderborg
- Sogn: Horsens
- Gade: Diverse

Click "Diverse" at bottom/right
The file will open in a new window (NB: requires Java to be activated).

However, you'll only see the prisoners listed with name. To find out about the conviction you need (as stated above by the former poster) to get access to the prison records (not online).
--------------------------
For Vridsloeselille (on Zealand near Copenhagen)
Pick:
- Aargang: 1870
- Stedbetegnelse: Landsogn
- Amt: København
- Herred: Smoerum
- Sogn: Herstedvester

The list of convicts begins from page 42.

Karsten

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 11:18PM GMT
Thank you - I will definitely get in touch with them.

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 11:23PM GMT
Hi Karsten - thank you very much for your help. The record where I originally found the information definitely states that he was living in "Tugthuset" in 1866, so, unless the exact reference wasn't correct, he must have been in one of the two prisons you mention. This will be a big help. I believe he was probably released just before 1870, so the census records may not give me any information, but now that I have the likely prison locations, I will try contacting the Danish Archives and see what is available. Since he lived close to Copenhagen, I am assuming he probably would have been at Vridsloeselille. Thank you again for the help!

John

Posted: 7 Dec 2013 10:35PM GMT
John,
Did you ever get an answer? I found a relative in Vridsloeselille in the 1890 Census. After that he is lost.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions