Search for content in message boards

Austin Cheek & Demanda Whalin

Austin Cheek & Demanda Whalin

Posted: 3 Jan 2006 9:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cheek
I am researching my husband's tree for the CHEEK and later on what became the CHEEKS family line. AUSTIN CHEEK b. 1811, m. 1832 in Culpeper County Virginia. Anyone with information about this family, please contact me @ megnjoshsmom@adelphia.net.

Thanks for your help,
Elizabeth & Joe Cheeks

Re: Austin Cheek & Demanda Whalin

Laura Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2006 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: CHEEK, WHALIN
So happy to have someone researching my line! Is your husband possibly a descendant of Austin? If so, we are cousins. Austin and Demanda/Amanda are my 3rd great-grandparents through their son, James. I have a LOT of info on them. I don't yet have proof of Austin's parentage, but have a "short list" of strong suspects.
I also have some info on the Whalings/Whalins/Whelans.

I am happy to share with you. Please let me know the connection between your husband and Austin and what info you are most interested in.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 1:12PM GMT
Surnames: CHEEK WHALING
Then I'm Laura's cousin too... through Austin "Oscar" Cheek of Rappahannock Virginia, who married Demanda Whaling, their son Peter R Cheek, Posey Franklin Cheek, Carrie V Cheek Seevers, Myra V Seevers Allmon, Jeannette M Allmon Nease...
I too am trying to find who Austin's parents were...
I remember great grandma Seevers talking about a grandmother whose last name was Posey, I believe that's how Posey ended up with that name. Austin has been the most difficult one to pinpoint.
Any luck with you guys?
~Myra

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 4:24AM GMT
Came across this, don't remember seeing Hambleton Cheek among the lists of Austin Cheek's children

name: Hambleton Cheek
christening date:
christening place:
birth date: 17 Dec 1853
birthplace: Rappahannock County, Virginia
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Austin Cheek
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Demanda Cheek
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: I01778-2
system origin: Virginia-EASy
gs film number: 2046960
reference id: 5

-- "Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1917," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5XQ-S9V : accessed 08 Mar 2013), Austin Cheek in entry for Hambleton Cheek, 17 Dec 1853.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 4:39AM GMT
Seems there are two Broadus Cheeks living in West Virginia at the same time and only about a year difference in age. Appear to be related, but the way the census reads for the household of James Cheek, he is not a son of James Cheek. And as both were recorded on or about the same day, it is unlikely that he ran from one farm to another in order to get counted twice (although one can't completely rule out teenage hijinks, I suppose).

name: Broaddus Cheek
birth year (estimated): 1855
age (original): 15y
race: White
birthplace: Virginia
event place: West Virginia, United States
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Amanda Cheek F 58y Virginia
Marshall Cheek M 18y Virginia
Broaddus Cheek M 15y Virginia
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1870," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZH7-HSS : accessed 08 Mar 2013), Broaddus Cheek in household of Amanda Cheek, West Virginia, United States; citing p. 31, family 214, NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 553184.

and then this one --

name: Broaddus Cheek
birth year (estimated): 1854
age (original): 16y
race: White
birthplace: Virginia
event place: West Virginia, United States
Household Gender Age Birthplace
James Cheek M 27y Virginia
Rebecca Cheek F 37y Virginia
George Cheek M 2y West Virginia
Amanda Cheek F 11m West Virginia
Broaddus Cheek M 16y Virginia
Louisa Cox F 21y Virginia
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1870," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZHQ-NMQ : accessed 08 Mar 2013), Broaddus Cheek in household of James Cheek, West Virginia, United States; citing p. 34, family 234, NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 553184.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 2:18PM GMT
new e-mail address for original note is:
Cheekslaptop@comcast.net

Thank you,
Elizabeth Cheeks

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 3:41PM GMT
Thanks for this! I believe this refers to Austin and Amanda/Demanda's youngest child, Broaddus, who was born 1853 and died in March or April 1878. I've never seen him called Hambleton, though. Perhaps he was Hambleton Broaddus Cheek and used the middle name? He is shown as Broaddus from age 7 in the 1860 Census. Here is his will, which I find terribly sad, due to his early death in 1878. You will see that he lists some of his siblings and James is his brother. I think in the 1870 Census he may have been spending time back and forth with his mother and brother James, who lived quite close to each other in Wellsburg, WV. I have other info.on this part of the Cheek family if you care to contact me.

Broaddus Cheek - Will, 28 Mar 1878

Know all men to whom these Presents shall come Greeting. That this is the last Will and Testament of Broaddus Cheek a young man Without Issue, of lawful age, and sound mind, and a Resident of the town _ (sic) Bethany County of Brooke and State of West Virginia made and signed this 28 day of March 1878.

My Will is that after my debts of all kind are paid the Balance of all my monies and affects shall be distributed and divided as follows, to Wit to Thomas Cheek my lawful Brother shall be paid the sum of one dollar ($1.00) and James Cheek my lawful Brother the sum of one dollar ($1.00) Peter Cheek my lawful Brother shall be paid the sum of one Hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00). The sum of Seventy five dollars ($75.00) shall be paid to Mrs. Mollie Cheek, Wife of ___ Brother Peter Cheek and my sistern law and to my Sistern law Mrs. Sallie Cheek Widow of my Deceased Brother William Cheek shall be paid the sum of Seventy five dollars ($75.00) and The Remainder of all my moneys shall be put on Interest for the use of the 3 children of Mrs. Sarah Cheek to be divided equally between Willie Cheek, Mollie Cheek and Lona Cheek. When ever They shall have arrived at a lawful age Said Money to be invested and secured by a first Mortgage.

My Silver Watch I leave to Willie Cheek son of said Sarah Cheek together With its chain.

To my Brother Peter Cheek I leave all my clothing of every kind. To carry into affect all the provisions of this Will, I hereby appoint C.B. Turner Executor, trusting in his fidelity to see that all its provisions are carried out, as Witness my hand and seal this 28th day of March 1878.
(Signed) B. Cheek

As Witnessed before us that the said Broaddus Cheek signed the above instrument with his own hand and acknowledged the same to be his act this 28th day of March 1878.
(Signed) W.H. Billings
J.T. Lauck

At a County Court held in and for the County of Brooke, in the State of West Virginia, at the Court house of said County in the town of Wellsburg, on Tuesday, April 9th, 1878.
Present, Hon. Lewis Browning, President, and S.A. Quesh, and Jas. F. Watt, Esq’rs, Justices.

Now, on this day a paper-writing purporting to be the last Will and Testament of Broaddus Cheek, deceased, late of Brooke County, bearing date March 28", 1878 was presented to the Court, for probate, and duly proved by the oaths of J.T. Lauck, and W.H. Billings, subscribing witnesses thereto.

It is Therefore ordered, that said paper-writing be recorded as and for the last Will and Testament of said Broaddus Cheek, deceased.

And C.B. Turner, the Executor named in said Will, entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of seven hundred dollars, conditioned according to law, with J.T. Lauck as surety, who is deemed sufficient, and took upon himself the oath in such cases made and provided.

Whereupon, it is ordered, that letters testamentary be and they are hereby granted unto the said C.B. Turner, Executor as aforesaid.
Teste,
CB. Turner, Clerk

I certify the foregoing to be a true copy of the last Will and Testament of Broaddus Cheek, deceased, late of Brooke County, admitted to record April 9th, 1878 on the annexed order.
Clarence B. Turner
Clerk Co. Court Brooke Co.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 4:33PM GMT
A possibility, which in my personal experience has often, but not always, been the case, is that when you have a child with a distinct name, like Hambleton, who is born, and never shows up anyplace again, is that they died in infancy or early childhood. I had one like this and it wasn't until someone was going through the cemetery records that he was found -- the tombstone was illegible.

Given that census birth years oftentimes can be off by a year or more either way, there is no way to know at this point.

Your hypothesis is just as possible. My daughter's great-grandmother hated her first name so much she never used it on any documents, and no one knew her first name until, quite by accident, we discovered it years after her death. It was not on marriage certificates, death certificates, census, obituaries. She used her middle name for all of that, then later one started using her nickname, and her nickname was all that surviving family members knew her by, except for one that nobody had thought to ask.

Hope this helps your search. Good luck.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 4:49PM GMT
Awesome find on the record! How did you come across it? Also, how are you related to Austin and Demanda?

Elizabeth Cheeks
Pittsburgh, PA

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 5:25PM GMT
I'm a descendant of George Cheek of Front Royal, VA. Which if I understand correctly, the story is that Austin Cheek is also a descendant of that same George Cheek, just that no one has uncovered the paper trail yet.

I corresponded some years back with one of the first researchers of the George Cheek line, and there really isn't any more of a paper trail linking the Dearborn County, Indiana Cheeks (the best documented of George Cheek's descendants) with George Cheek of Front Royal, VA than there is for Austin Cheek. Just family stories and I think at one point there was a family Bible someone had with some of the history. Unfortunately, whatever documentation did exist I was told had been destroyed. Another early researcher I contacted years back had not bothered to keep track or their record sources.

My guess is that the only evidence is that the various family stories had a George Cheek and Leanna, and the George Cheek and Leanna of Front Royal, VA area were the only ones they were able to find.

So it appears that we all are pretty much in the same boat when it comes to documentation tying our lines to George Cheek of Front Royal.

Given that the name of Leanna is not really carried down through the Cheek lines, only being give to one daughter that I know of, while the name of Mary is given more often to daughters (actually the most often), I suspect that George Cheek may have had two wives, with a Mary possibly being a first wife and Leanna a second wife. Nancy is the second most common name given to early Cheek daughters.

We do know that the Cheek line named sons after fathers and grandfathers, so it would not be unusual for daughters to be named after mothers and grandmothers.

Scott
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions