Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Ages of Living Individuals report

FTM 2012 Ages of Living Individuals report

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 12:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
How do I create an Ages of Living Individuals report in FTM 2012? It is a simple list of people who are still living, showing the oldest family member first, right on down to the youngest family member. It displays the person's name and their age. (This used to be an easy thing to do in FTM v16 from 2006!)

Re: FTM 2012 Ages of Living Individuals report

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 3:31AM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2013 3:53AM GMT
To be able to do such a report (in either FTM 16 or FTM2012) supposes that you know whether everyone in your file is alive or dead, and if alive, when they were born. Most people won't have that information for everyone in their file.

If you do, that's great; except that you won't be able to get this report out of FTM2012. The Custom Report in FTM will put the following in a custom report:

Age at first marriage
Age at first child
Age at last child
Age at death

But, I don't find where one can use age at the date the report is run (or any other selected date) to determine age.

You probably could make a custom report and export birth and death dates and calculate an age in Excel. You could also use the "Index of Individuals Report" and sort out living and calc an age in Excel.

If you do have a file with all of this information, it is probably a pretty small file. In that case, you could create a custom fact and input their ages and include that Fact in a custom report.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 6:45AM GMT
The report that will do it is in FTM 16 or earlier

"Birthdays of Living Individuals"

It is sadly missed

John D

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 11:53AM GMT
Thanks, Silverfox ... you have reinforced what I have already learned. Just upgraded from FTM 16 to FTM 2012 and am disappointed that two reports that I have easily created in the past (with 600+ living individuals in my family) ... the Calendar and the Ages of Living Individuals are now a problem.

The Calendar has been stylized so that the header is so large that the date boxes are so small that I have to use the Extra Small Font in order to get the info for 7 people who share the same date in the one date box AND I cannot use women's married names because that generates 2 lines for some ... and I just don't have the room.

The Ages of Living Individuals report has been fun to publish from time to time, as we keep track of 13 family members who are older than 80 ... with 10 First Cousins all over 66! The oldest will be 95 this October ... which I know because I have an Ages report that I recently did under FTM 16!

Thanks for the help ... even though it was disappointing!
~Yvette

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 11:57AM GMT
Thanks, John, for the confirmation. I AM sadly disappointed. I am not sure I am happy with FTM 2012, but I was "forced into" upgrading because, after many years of developing the family tree, I had a problem that could only be resolved by upgrading. Soooo saaddd!
~Yvette

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 5:45PM GMT
I have read in a post from some family tree developer that family tree maker takes inputs from customers in decided what to offer. This seems reasonable to me when ADDING features but quite unreasonable when SUBTRACTING features. If it is working we don't tend to ask for something that is already there. Case in point, birth order of children. Some people apparently asked for being able to place the children in any order they wanted. But why did that necessitate taking away the ability to globally sort children by birth order, which is the correct way anyway.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 6:10PM GMT
Barbara, what I don't understand is why FTM 2012 cannot do what the SIMPLER, FTM 16 could do. I am now trying how to figure out an Address Report / Contact List, since I have so many names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of current family members!
~Yvette

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 4:25AM GMT
Contact tham and request the enhancement

http://ancestry.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_er4cyPjj5BJKIZf

Best to make a good 'business case' for the proposed enhancement and how you would use it. Remember that you are competing with numerous other requests and development resources are limited, so put up a good story.

I have contacted the developers requesting the birthday of living individuals report which is a great one for family reunions.

I keep a copy of FTM 16 and if I want it, I GEDCOM a file to FTM 16 and run the report. But I would like it in both FTM Windows and FTM Mac. (I use both)

John D

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 4:29AM GMT
"Barbara, what I don't understand is why FTM 2012 cannot do what the SIMPLER, FTM 16 could do. I am now trying how to figure out an Address Report / Contact List, since I have so many names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of current family members!
~Yvette"

It is not a matter of simplicity, but rather development resources. FTM 2012 and FTM Mac 2 can do many, many things that FTM 16 could not do. It is a matter of priorities (affected by demand/market research and enhancement requests etc, as to what gets in or out.

In terms of a report for addresses, contacts etc, the custom report in FTM 2012 will do this for you as it did in FTM 16. And in both cases exporting (Sharing) the custom report as a CSV file and polishing it in Excel, Access or Word gives you the best outcome.

John D
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions