Search for content in message boards

Milton/Moulton Carter Founder Rose Hill Baptist, Assumption/Emanuel Baptist,Ascension

Milton/Moulton Carter Founder Rose Hill Baptist, Assumption/Emanuel Baptist,Ascension

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 9:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carter, Tucker, Crayton, Brown, Jackson, Tucker, Thomas, Monroe, Wallace
My ancestor, Rev Milton (Moulton/Moton/Morton/Monday) Carter, founded Emanuel Baptist Church near Barton outside of Donaldsonville (I've seen it referred to as "on Bayou Lafourche" but I am in California)and Rose Hill Baptist in Assumption (Milton Carter purchased the land), pastoring both from 1891 till the late 1930s. He was from Virginia, in Assumption in 1880, settled in Barton, Ascencion (which seems to be highway 943 now). In the History of Louisiana Negro Baptists...1804-1914 by William Hicks, it says that about 1900 the black Baptists in the area began a development of 12 small churches (and the Leland Academy as an auxiliary school to Leland university), so I am thinking these are two of them, or at least connected. I am trying to find his burial place, his wife Charlotte (Tucker) Carter (d. 1939), grandmother Charlotte Thomas (in Assumption 1880), sisters Fanny Novelluese (!?) Monroe Wallace (buried Barton somewhere) & Jane Narcisse, daughters Nancy Crayton/Crayten & Luverda/Louvirda/Luverta the mother of a Perkins Brown and who later married a Mr. Jackson. I am interested in history, gravestones, records, and tracing the Carter & Tucker famliies furthur back.

Re: Milton/Moulton Carter Founder Rose Hill Baptist, Assumption/Emanuel Baptist,Ascension

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 6:30PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2012 9:01PM GMT
Have you tried ordering his death certificate from the state archives? Burial places weren't always listed on older certificates, but they sometimes were.

Would this be him?
Mouton Carter died 5/10/1938 at age 83 in Ascension Parish

If so, you would need Page: 5503 Volume: 13 of the 1938 statewide death records.

You previously listed Fanny's date of death as 3/5/1920. According to the state death index, her name is listed as Fanny Moore Wallace. If you want to order her certificate, you'd need Page: 2310 Volume: 6 of the 1920 statewide death records.

Re: Milton/Moulton Carter Founder Rose Hill Baptist, Assumption/Emanuel Baptist,Ascension

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 8:47PM GMT
Nancy Crayton is buried in Providence Memorial Park in the metro-New Orleans area according to her obituary. There are 2 listed on Find a Grave, but I can only find contact information on one.

Providence Memorial Park
8200 Airline Hwy.
Metairie, LA 70003
504-464-0541

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: Carter
Thank you for these! I am ordering now!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions