Search for content in message boards

O'callaghan changed to Callahan on boat from Ireland

O'callaghan changed to Callahan on boat from Ireland

Tara Srouse-Smith (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2002 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on my grandmother Eleanor Callahan. She had a sister named Grace Callahan and a brother Jerry Callahan. From what I've been told, their name was changed while coming to America from O'Callaghan to Callahan. Their parents may have been Catherine Grant and James (?) Callahan... not sure if his name was James or not.. any help would be appreciated.

Tara

Re: O'callaghan changed to Callahan on boat from Ireland

Posted: 14 Dec 2003 5:06PM GMT
I have a great grandfather Jeremiah O'Callaghan (Callahan), landed in Lexington, MA any connection?

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 4:26AM GMT
Surnames: Callahan,Strouse
It's very possible that there could be a connection. Do you have any more information? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Ed Callahan (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2004 12:33AM GMT
Jeremiah O'Callaghan (Callahan) came to the US in 1867 with his wife Mary (Lee) and son Bartholomew. They came from the area around Cork City. By 1880 they had settled in Lexington, MA

Posted: 2 Aug 2004 7:00PM GMT
My name is Donna Philmon and my family is from Ireland. I have also been told they had the name O'Callaghan. This is my story, lets see if we can connect the two. My gggg-grandfather Napolean Bonaparte Callahan Born in 1827 in the state of Alabama. He married Julia A. Anderson in Clarke County, Alabama on March 6th, 1847. The story is that way back in Ireland there were the high and lowlander of O'Callaghans. The lowlanders bought passage to America. The Highlanders didn't want them to go so they stole their young son, Charles, and carried him to the highlands. When it came time for the ship to sail, they went. They had put most of there money up for the tickets to America. Sometime later a tax collector saw Charles and knew where he belonged. He asked Charles if he wanted to go home. He did, but when he got back home his family had already left without him. A ship captain took him for his cabin boy and brought him to America. He kept his name O'Callaghan. Charles married and had 2 sons. One of these sons is the father of Napolean Bonaparte Callahan.
If you have any connection to this part please let me know.

Posted: 7 Mar 2009 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: Callahan, Marion, Dixon, Robinson, Harrison
We have a Napoleon Callahan (age 19 years old in the 1860 census) from the Marengo Co/Clarke County area (Alabama). He had, at least two younger sisters nearby, Talitha and Amanda; the girls were living with Nathanial Harrison and his wife. None of these young people were living with their parents, it's a mystery. Where were their parents? From a later census (and other info) it becomes evident that this "Napoleon Callahan" is also known as "James N. Callahan.” He is listed, by this name,in the 1870 census as 28 years old and married to Laura (Marion). At some point, his sister Talitha Callahan married A.K. Robinson (or Robison) and Amanda (A.J.) Callahan married Jerome B (J.B.) Marion. Could your Napoleon Callahan be related to our Callahans from the Clarke Co/Marengo Co? The ages are off, so they are not direct descendants; perhaps there is a direct connection with the brother of your Napoleon Callahan (having our James Napoleon Callahan named after an uncle).

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 2:01PM GMT
I found the following posting on Genealogy.com. I think it's a match with this thread. I hope to find a link between these Callahans and my own in Marengo Co. Al, right next to Clarke and Washington counties: James N. b:~1841, Talitha/Telitha b:~1843 and Amanda J. b:~1847. L.Marion
Here is the posting by Jim Callahan: Looking for the parents of James Callahan b. abt 1795 NC, d. abt 1840 around Clarke Co, AL. In 1814 James was a Pvt. in the Militia of the Mississippi Territory in Fort Montgomery was sent 50 miles up the road to St. Stephens Washington Co, Miss. Terr. now in AL. He is also on the 1816 tax rolls and census of Washington Co, Miss Terr. James married Mary Eleanor Scarborough abt 1815, she was the daughtor of Silas and Mary Scarborough. Silas' Estate papers list his Callahan grandchildren as:
1. James M. b. abt 1815
2. William b. abt 1816
m. Susan Ross 7 Oct 1835 Clarke Co, AL.
3. Polly b. abt 1817
m. William Pollard 2 Jun 1834 Mobile C AL.
4. Amanda Ann b. abt 1818
m. John Goodwin 27 Dec 1837 Mobile Co, AL.
m. John C. Hood 17 May 1858 Mobile Co, AL.
5. Mary b. abt 1819
m. William Pollard 20 Jan 1837 Mobile C AL
6. John b. abt 1820
m. Elizabeth Phillips 9 Dec 1839 Mobile
7. Napoleon Bonaparte b. abt 1827 (my line)
m. Julia Ann Anderson 10 Mar 1847 Clarke Co, AL. daughter of James B. and Julia Ann (Pope) Anderson.
Would also like to share information with other descendants of Napoleon and his siblings. Or any one that has info on these lines.

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Callahan Trull Marion
James N Callahan and Laura A Marion Callahan were my G grandparents. One of my uncles, now deceased, provided many of us with genealogy work he did in the 1970s and 1980s. Some of this work was documenting what he could find by people, mostly in Marengo Co AL to talk about our relatives. I tell you this to provide information about the paragraphs below.

James N Callahan, born on 8/1/1841 somewhere in North Carolina. He was educated in NC. At some point he joined a Confederate cavalry unit in AL. It was at this time that he met Laura A Marion. Following the war he and his sister Talitha (born 3/17/1845) moved to Marengo Co AL and married Laura. A few years later Talitha married A.K. Robison. Talitha and A.K. had several children. James and Laura had 8 children. There was no mention of Amanda Callahan. I have from another source that Amanda J Callahan married Jerome Marion, who was Laura's brother. James, Laura, Talitha,and A.K. are all buried at the Bethel cemetery on Clayhill road in Clarke county just arcoss the line from Marengo county. While the cemetery is in Clarke county, it is listed in some Marengo county cemetery listings. I have pictures of tombstones if anyone is interested.

I do not know what the "N" in James N stands for, but I do not think the story I have is consistent with the thought of Napoleon, Talitha, and Amanda being siblings based solely on information in the 1860 census. That said, I am really curious about the possibility. It never made sense to me that someone in NC, with no apparent linkage to AL, would join an AL army unit.

As I have been unable to find James N or Talitha from any records in NC, I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can share. I have much information from my uncle's work about the descendants of James and Laura and a little more about Talita and A.K.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions