Search for content in message boards

John Cooley family

John Cooley family

NANCY COOLEY (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooley
James Cooley lived in cass county georgia, later changed to barstow county. James and his wife were born in virginia according to the 1850-1860 census. at that time he had two sons John and Elizah. John Cooley travel to marshall co. alabama in the middle of the civil war. with him came Elizah, Caroline Wright,two children William and Lucy, and John' wife Lidia.the trip to marshall co. ended in the vicinity of manchester he and Lidia had five children. there oldest son Bib is my g-grandfather.

James/JohnCooley & Lydia Ann Kirkpatrick

Posted: 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2003 8:57AM GMT
I believe that I descended from the referenced James Cooley, Rebecca,and John Cooley. John was shown as 23 in that 1850 Cass County Census. I looked for a marriage record in Georgia and found where John, on 10 December 1850, married Lydia Ann Kirkpatrick. They were my g. grandparents on my father's side (Albert Allie "Al" Cooley, son of Robert "Bob" Cooley. I know that Lydia and John are buried at Manchester, Alabama, in the Cooley Cemetery, in Marshall County, Alabama. There are monuments there.

I have not organized my Cooley information, or any other surname at this time; however, I now have purchased Family Tree Maker, Ver. 7, and plan to start consolidating it soon.

Where are you located? What state, city, etc. Who were your parents and grandparents? My mother told me that John and Lydia had 5 sons and a daughter: Robert (my grandfather), Uncle Jim, Uncle Harm (Hiram?), Uncle Bid, and a brother who died (born between Robert and daughter Aunt Liza).

It is great to see someone working on James/John Cooley!

Please email me! Also, I would like for you to call me if it is not long distance to you!!

Thanks!

Doris Cooley Edmonds
345 Warrenton Shores Drive
Guntersville, AL 35976-6132
Phone: 256-582-2530
FAX: 256-571-9779

Cooley family in the south...

Farrell Cooley (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cooley
Hello Cooley's, I'm new to this web page and haven't really looked through all the querries, but I do have some information. It probably will not help much, however, as you know all the families used the same names over and over through-out the generations. Rebeca was John's wife in the 1700's in South Carolina, and each of John's son's traveled to different areas in the south. I'am looking for John's line prior to 1700 in south Carolina accross the pond or to others in america.

CORRECTION:

FARRELL COOLEY (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
CORRECTION: NOT REBECCA BUT RATHER RACHAEL, SORRY IF THIS CAUSED ANYONE TO BE MISLEAD. YOU MAY BE PART OF THE LINE OUT OF SC. F.COOLEY

cooley's

Farrell Cooley (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cooley's
Hello again, Just found a Rebecca Andrews d. 1840 AL, M 1798, poss. Ref: Dale Co, AL moved from Darlington, SC 1825.
Husband's name is Allen Cooley, 1780, d. after 1850 Holmes Co., 2 children known, Joel m Fanny??, Allen Jr. m Mary??, must be others, 3 boys and 4 girls in 1820 cencus; perhaps James A.; Isaac.
Hope this helps...
Farrell Cooley

John Cooley/Lydia Kirkpatrick

Surnames: ALEXANDER, AUSTIN, BOLTON, CHRISMAN, CROSS, COOLEY, CONNALLY, EDMONDS, FOSHEE, GRAVES, HILL, KIRKPATRICK, MALONE, MCMINN, PRITCHETT, SMITH
I thought that everyone might like to have the data from the 1870 and 1880 Marshall County, Alabama Federal Census records for John Cooley and Lydia (Kirkpatrick) Cooley. They were not in Marshall County Census records in 1860; therefore, I think they were probably still in Georgia at that time since they were there in the 1850 Federal Census (Cass County)and John Cooley and Lydia Ann Kirkpatrick were married in Georgia on 10 December 1850 after the 1850 Federal Census was taken. I found a John Cooley as "Head of a Household" in the 1860 Federal Census Index for Georgia; however, the microfilm copy of the Census was unreadable in the Huntsville Public Library and I have not looked elsewhere for another microfilm copy.

My paternal g. grandfather John Cooley and my paternal g. grandmother Lydia (Kirkpatrick) Cooley were picked up for the first time in Marshall County, Alabama as Family Number 230 in the Alabama 1870 Federal Census Index by Accelerated Indexing Systems International, P. O. Box 2127, Salt Lake City, Utah 84110 (1-800-733-2474), Editor Ronald Vern Jackson et al. An extract of that data Compiled by: Betty Taylor and Margene Hemrick Black and printed by Past and Present Publications, 2201 Loveless Street, Guntersville, Alabama 35976, 2nd Printing, 1992" shows for Family 230: "COOLY John,45,M,W,F,TN; Lydia,38,F,W,KH,GA; James,17,M,W,FL, GA; Sally,16,F,W,GA; Harmon,15,M,W,AL; Eliza,12,F,W,AL; Robert, 9,M,W,AL; and John B,7,M,W,AL."

The entries for John Cooley and Lydia (Kirkpatrick) Cooley picked up as Liddia (by Taylor) in the 1880 "Inhabitants of Marshall County, Alabama" shows: "COOLEY, John,W,M,57; Liddia,W,F,50; Robert,W,M,18; John B.,W,M,15; Hiram,W,M,26; Lucinda,W,F,37; Annie,W,F,2; and Dora L.,W,F,1."

I have not gotten copies of the later Federal Census records for John Cooley and Lydia (Kirkpatrick) Cooley in Marshall County, Alabama; however, I believe that they both lived in Marshall County until they died since they are buried in the Cooley Cemetery at Manchester in Marshall County, Alabama, not far from the end of the Cha-La-Kee Road (that intersects with State Highway 69 between Guntersville, Alabama, and Arab, Alabama) and across a bay of the Guntersville Lake from the end of the Cha-La-Kee Road. John's son Robert Cooley and his wife Ellen Jane (Bolton) Cooley as well as other family members are also buried at that Cooley Cemetery.

This Robert Cooly {Cooley}, son of John Cooley and Lydia (Kirkpatrick) Cooley, was my grandfather. Per my mother (Hallie Lee (Alexander) Cooley) and my father (Albert Allie "Al" Cooley), my grandfather Robert Cooley was born 29 January 1861 at the foot of Rocky Ridge at Anniston, in Calhoun County, Alabama, and died at the old Homeplace at Manchester in Marshall County, Alabama, on 13 February 1927.

Harm/Hiram Cooley Marriage

Surnames: Alexander, Austin, Bolton, Chrisman, Cross, Cooley, Connally, Edmonds, Foshee, Graves, Hill, Kirkpatrick, Malone, McMinn, Pritchett, Smith
Thanks for responding to my post!

Sorry that I don't have all of my data filed in a manner that lets me know exactly what all I have on your Harm Cooley. There is no doubt that we are talking about the same individual. Before I had to stop researching ancestors in 1979 because of a job reassignment at the U. S. Army Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, I extracted many Cooley marriages from the Marriage Licenses Recorded at the Guntersville, Alabama Courthouse, in Marshall County,AL. In Marriage Record Book 6 covering 1877-1881 marriage records, I picked up the following for your ancestor: "COOLEY, Hiram and SULCER, Lucinda; Date License Issued: 18 July 1877; Date Marriage Performed: 18 July 1877; Marriage Performed by: Rev. W. J. Coburn; Recorded on Page 53; Marriage License #: 1." There were no comments thereon regarding bondsmen, witnesses, where marriage ceremony was performed, etc. In the Guntersville Library it quotes the local newspaper as stating that your Harm/Hiram Cooley was killed by two brothers. Some details have been verbally passed down to us through the years; however, I don't have anything that provides any written discussion of the circumstances involved.

It is great to make contact with you. I was always told that Lucinda and her children went to Texas; however, we never visited them in Texas. Also, I don't have official written family documentation showing all of the information on the family after they moved to Texas. If you have any information compiled and could send it to me, please email me at bedmonds@bellsouth.net and I will send you my mailing address.

If you are interested in details of the Cooley family that was left in Alabama, I will be glad to share anything that I have with you one question at a time or when it is all consolidated.

Please come see me whenever you visit in Guntersville, Marshall County, AL.

Doris Cooley Edmonds

cooley's in alabama

b. cooley (View posts)
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: cooley
i believe we come from the same line of cooley's. i have recently started tracing my family and found that my ggg grandfather was john cooley, no other info on him. my gg grandfather was harm cooley, to whom you refer as uncle harm. "harm" is the correct spelling. i know that my cooley's came from alabama. harm married lucinda or some say louann mcminn. lucinda was married to a man named sulser, after he died she married harm. they had 5 children, virgil oliver cooley being my g grandfather. harm was killed in alabama,"i do not know the details," after his death lucinda moved the family to texas, that's where were at now. i believe we have a connection with our family's.

On-Line Marriage Record: Hiram COOLEY to Lucinda SULCER

Posted: 27 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: COOLEY, MCMINN
Hi Brad!

Thank you for your prompt email! I have always wanted to visit all my relatives in Texas; however, there has just not been that much time. Isn't the Internet great??!! It is the next best thing to a "face to face" conversation! Do you have voice capability on the Internet? My PC does have a microphone built in so maybe in the future we can talk back and forth on the Internet! Up to now, I have only used it to place local voice calls dialed with my mouse! Thanks for all of the information on your family. It is always good to share information. I have a lot to share but there is so much I don't know what you would be interested in! I am also looking forward to our regular communication on our ancestors. I found something in my files that you might like to see on the Internet. There is an on-line file of Book #6, Marshall County, Alabama Marriages, 1877-1884. On Page 4 "of 33 Pages" of that file (as Item #53) it lists the marriage of your g.g.grandfather Harm COOLEY (spelled therein as COOLY)and your g.g.grandmother Lucinda Sulcer. I was wrong when I said earlier that there were no comments on the record when my daughter Teresa and I picked up the information on that marriage in 1977 -- before I temporarily (for years) stopped doing genealogical research. I started back in January 2000. The referenced entry does state that the marriage was performed "at the bride's residence." It also stated: "Bond: Hiram Cooly and W. J. Coburn." In order for you to have obtained that automated file in a query on the Internet, you would have had to ask for Cooley data as "Soundex" files! If you would like to see the entry for yourself, please enter into your browser's address the following: http://genconnect.rootsweb.com/gc/surnames/c/o/COOLEY/querie....

If you ever want to call me, my phone number is 256-582-2530. Have a good evening!

Doris

Cooley's

B. Cooley (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: Cooley
It was great to here from you so soon. I have been wanting to trace our family tree for some time now, but little information was known. My grandfather "Troy Cooley", had said that the family was from Alabama. His father was Virgil Oliver Cooley, son of Harm and Lucinda Cooley. Very little info was known about Harm, except his name. Lucinda Cooley is buried in Noonday, Tx. My grandfather had said that his grandmother was buried at the Noonday cemetery, I recently visited the cemetery with my aunts and the monument had L.M. Cooley Born 1842, Died 1924. Harm and Lucinda had 5 kids, Virgil Oliver Cooley,"my g.grandfather," Anna, Daisy, Dora, and Al. I believe there were also kids from Lucinda's first marriage. My grandfather had said that when they first came to Texas they settled near Jasper,Tx. There is some confusion as to when Lucinda came to Texas. I believe Virgil Oliver was borned in Alabama. He was married to Mary Francis Kirkpatrick, who was also from Alabama. My family is not sure if my grandfather "Troy" was borned in Alabama or Texas. I know that by the early 1900's, my Cooley family had settled in Smith county, Tx. near Tyler. This is where most are living today, and where the others are buried. I am really looking foward to sharing info with you, and learning more about our Cooley family. It is "Really" great to find our family in Alabama, so be ready for all the questions that I have to asked. Thanks again and I'll be talking to you soon. Brad Cooley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic