Search for content in message boards

Harry Johnsen

Harry Johnsen

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 3:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandfather was born in 1873 in Aalborg Denmark and immigrated to the US as a young man - I believe he changed his name to a more "Americanized" version. He married Mary Ellen Ennis (I think in Georgia). They moved to Melbourne Florida where he worked for the local newspaper until he died in 1925. If anyone has any info on him and would share, I would appreciate it - even with what his real name might have been in Denmark. Thanks.

Re: Harry Johnsen

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 4:26PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 4:27PM GMT
The very first hit from a search on Ancestry is:

1920 United States Federal Census
Census & Voter Lists
Name: Harry Johnson
Spouse: Mary Johnson
Birth: abt 1873 - Denmark
Arrival: year ?
Residence: 1920 - city, Baldwin, Georgia

If someone would look for the year of arrival ? That would be a great help finding the emigration/immigration records.

Karsten

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 6:01PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2013 3:04AM GMT
juliew 116b - do you know of this tree, below? If so, what is the source of that exact birth date (day/month/year)? That is a significant clue when Karsten goes looking in Danish records and I'm wondering how credible it is.

Ancestry.com member tree lists
Harry Johnsen
Birth 07 Jan 1873 in Aalborg, Denmark
Death 06 Sep 1925 in Orlando, Orange, Florida, USA
Immigration 1887
No parents listed

Newbern, Craven, North Carolina
Edward F Rowe 49/Mary C Rowe 51
Oscar Burlin 22/Mary Burlin 22/Selma Burlin 4/12
Walter S Elliott 18
Harry Johnson 27 b January 1873 Denmark, immigration 1887, mariner sailor
Mary Johnson 23 b Feb 1877 Georgia married 2 years 2 children 0 living; they are boarders

A possibility in 1910
Waycross Ward 2, Ware, Georgia
Harrie Johnson 36 b Germany, printer, newspaper
Mary Johnsen 33 b Georgia
Herman Johnsen 8 b North Carolina
Annie M Johnsen 6 b Georgia
Marry E Johnsen 5 b Georgia
Charlie E Johnsen 3 months b Georgia

Milledgeville, Baldwin, Georgia
Harry Johnson 47 b abt 1873 Denmark, immigration 1887, occupation XXXX reporter, newspaper
Mary Johnson 43 b Georgia
John Johnson 18 b North Carolina occupation XXX newspaper office
Annie May Johnson 16 b North Carolina
Mary Ellen Johnson 14 b Georgia
Charles C Johnson 10 b Georgia
Louisa Johnson 7 b Georgia
Julius Johnson 4 [14] b Georgia

Harald, Herred, Harbo...?

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 12:55AM GMT
Found two city directory listings:
1. Savannah 1905 - Johnsen, Harry, wks "News", r 524 Duffy, w

2.Waycross GA 1908 - Johnsen Harry (Mary) foreman "The Waycross Herald", hs 69 Remshart

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 4:11PM GMT
Hi Karsten,
Thanks for your help. I know he immigrated in 1887. His birthdate was 07 Jan 1873. He was married to Mary Ellen Ennis in 1898. If there is anything else you could find out, I really would appreciate it.
Thanks,
julie

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 4:16PM GMT
Hi falsterden,
Yes, that is the same Harry Johnsen. I was not aware of the 1910 census, and that helps. His birthdate was 07 Jan 1873 & he immigrated in 1887. He married Mary in 1898. My main question is the name of his parents. I'm not sure how to find that info. I really appreciate your help; anything else would be very helpful.
Thanks,
julie

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 4:20PM GMT
Hi Zelekis,
That helps a lot. I hadn't seen the city directories before. I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
julie

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 1:30AM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2013 7:42PM GMT
You can search for Harry's birth here, at Danish State Archives,
LINK:
http://www.sa.dk/content/us/genealogy

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 7:32PM GMT
Thank you, I will try the Danish State Archives.
julie

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 9:37PM GMT
Edited: 28 Mar 2013 10:01PM GMT
A further thought: Since we did not find Harry in the Danish census 1880, in any area of Denmark, nor find him born in any parish in the city of Aalborg, or in any parish in Aalborg amt as a whole, maybe you are having the same lack of luck.

The next step will be for you to concentrate on USA documents. You will want to obtain his marriage certificate, World War I draft registration, naturalization papers, and death certificate, if you do not already have these.

If you want further help from the forum, you can share:
1) what you find in the above documents
2) what is your source for his birth date
3) what is your source for his place of birth.

At this point it seems likely he was not born in Aalborg, though he may have resided there at some time. The 1910 census gives his birthplace as Germany. Many times when immigrants identify as Danish but state their birthplace as Germany, they were born in the Schleswig-Holstein (Slesvig-Holsten) area of southern Jutland - those lands between Germany and Denmark.

Note that Harry immigrated in 1887 at the very young age of 14 (if his birth date and the US census records are correct). His first work in the USA census is "mariner sailor." Thus it could be that he came to the USA on a ship doing a job usually reserved for a young man - such as cabin boy or kitchen crewman. It is possible he left his employment or abandoned ship once in America. This could explain why we also have not found an immigration record for Harry. Just a theory.

Alternately, we can guess a boy so young would have traveled with family or traveled to a family member already in the USA. Does your family history lore include relatives of Harry's in the USA? An oral family history is a sturdy source, and I consider it significant that you have mentioned no parents or siblings in America.

Searching with wildcards for many variations of his name has not brought results. Of course if Harry's name is really very different in Denmark than in the USA, that too could account for his AWOL status.

All of which points to the importance of developing any and all possible documents about him in the USA.

Hope these comments help - they grow out of a collaboration with another volunteer researcher.

Here's a DIY kit for Danish genealogy, in a thread in this forum,
LINK:
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.scan-balt.denmark.gene...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions