Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 - move photos from one family member to another

FTM 2012 - move photos from one family member to another

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Recently upgraded from FTM 16 to FTM 2012. I have a bunch of photos that are saved as part of the file of certain family members when, in fact, they should be a part of the file of other family members.

For example: the Phillip Jung file includes photos for his children and grandchildren. How do I take the children's pictures out of Phillip Jung's file and get them into the children's file?

~Yvette

Re: FTM 2012 - move photos from one family member to another

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:28PM GMT
It's pretty easy to do, but not intuitive at all.

Select the media by clicking on it (anywhere - in the media tab at the bottom of the Person tab, or in the media box at the right side of the Family tab, or wherever. Just needs to be the most recently clicked on media image).

Then click the Media workspace at the top of FTM, and if it's not already selected, click the Detail tab in that workspace. You should see the image you clicked on earlier.

At the bottom of the page is the "Links" tab. Click New, then "Link to Person", and select the person you want to link it to. Now both people will show up as linked. Select the one you want to remove it from, and click the Unlink button (next to New).

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:40PM GMT
Thanks, Sean, I will try that. But before you go, here's another question: How do I choose one of several photos to be the primary photo for that individual?
~Yvette

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:49PM GMT
Sean, it worked! I NEVER would have figured that out myself. Thank you for your time and expertise!

Now the only question I have is the one about choosing one particular photo to be the primary photo (the one that will show up on reports).

~Yvette

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 4:59PM GMT
I use the method described here:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5160

Summary: Go to People workspace, Family tab. Right-click on the existing primary photo in the summary panel at the top right. Left-click on "Link to existing photo". Select the photo you want to use and click "OK".

Sadly there's no easy way that I've found to just take one of the existing linked pictures and make it the primary - this is very easy on Ancestry.com but on FTM (using the above method) you have to sort through every picture in your media gallery - rather than being able to select from the few photos already associated with that person. If anyone else has found a simpler method I'd love to hear of it. What I always end up doing is selecting the primary photo on Ancestry.com and allowing TreeSync to make the change for me in FTM.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 7:11PM GMT
Thanks again, Sean! I now know that, if I am unsuccessful in finding the answers I need with the Help menu, I can get good information fast by coming to this Forum!

I truly appreciate it.

~Yvette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions