Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Locks Up When Click on Media Category, Suggestions?

FTM 2012 Locks Up When Click on Media Category, Suggestions?

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Apr 2013 8:02PM GMT
FTM 2012 Windows 7 Here is the exact sequence, it's happened 3 times now (sporadically not consecutively):
People Tab, Family Tab, Add New Media, I add .jpg file
Media Tab, Edit Categories, Click on Vital Records, Click OK,
The screen freaks out, turns non-responsive, have to force close.

Re: FTM 2012 Locks Up When Click on Media Category, Suggestions?

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 3:54AM GMT
Are you able to compact the file?

I would also suggest trying to export your tree to a new file, then restore the export (which will be a .FTMB backup file) to a new name, see if the problem persists. Could be a corrupt media file causing problems.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 1:55AM GMT
Yes I can compact. I agree with your suggestion that it might be a corrupt media file because at the same time as this crash, my Ancestry App on my phone can't download my latest changes to my tree. I will first delete the death certificates I had just added to see if my phone App works again. Then if that doesn't fix it, I'll run through your steps. Thanks so much!
Michelle

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 2:27AM GMT
Simply deleting the death certificates didn't fix the problem with my phone App, so I assume I still have the corrupt media file. I did your steps but then how does the tree with the new name still sync with the Ancestry.com tree?

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 3:52AM GMT
It won't sync with the existing tree, you'd have to re-upload the tree to Ancestry & delete the old one.

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 12:43PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2013 9:04PM GMT
Try entering a media file by clicking on the Person Tab then clicking on the Birth, Death, etc. row which relates to the media you want to insert. Then choose the Media Tab and enter a new media file. See if that works better. Also check your media's file size. Large files seem to cause the program to hesitate or crash. Most of our media files have been reduced to a couple of hundred kilobytes. Lastly, look in your "Media" tab for file thumbnails that don't show the minature picture of your file. They may show as a symbol. These are corrupt files and should be deleted and replaced.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 7:48PM GMT
That makes sense (large files). Will look at that because now 2 of my trees won't sync on my smart phone. Thanks so much!

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 8:36PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2013 9:58PM GMT
I would think that the file is OK, it is just the icon that FTM has created that might be corrupt.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic