Search for content in message boards

Billan

Posted: 30 May 2011 4:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jul 2011 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Billan
I'm looking for ancestors of Thomas Billan. I am told the family changed the spelling to BILLAN when the came to Australia, but was told it originated from France with a different spelling. Can anyone please help?

Thomas Billan married Sarah McGaughey in Australia, they had a son called Peter. I do not know any more details.

Re: Billan or Billann or Billanne

Posted: 30 May 2011 10:57AM GMT
Hello,

As you give no date, place or even the right spelling to begin with, we might as well look for a needle in a haystack! Seriously, you need a point of origin for looking up records in France as they're kept locally. If you don't have one yet, you need to dig first in the Australian records. You say he married there and had a son, did you get a copy of the marriage and birth certificates?

Posted: 31 May 2011 5:07AM GMT
Hi,
I'd say there is more chance your Thomas BILLAN is the Thomas BILLANE convict sent to Tasmania from Ireland about 1843.
I think your Thomas died 1888 parents listed as Jeremiah and Mary (nee QUINLESS)

I cannot find a marriage for Thomas and Sarah, but their name varied so much. 1864 Peter BALLAM, 1855 Thos BALLANE, 1862 James BALLAM...

Kellie

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 1:32PM GMT
I am also lookin for info on name Billane my grandmothers name was Elizabeth Billane she was born in Tipperary Ireland her parents Patrick Billane and Honora Hoolahan we were also told the family back in time came here to Ireland from France .Our branch of the family came to Dublin around 1879 .S Dunne

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 1:01PM GMT
Hello, I came across your post as I was researching my family history. My great grandmother is Eliza Billane, (father is Patrick and mother is Honora). I guess we're related! Was wondering if you have any further info on the family as this is as far as it gets for me! I was a Downes. Thanks. Kim.

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 10:05PM GMT
Thats interesting we seem to have the same grandparents my father was thomas downes ,what was your fathers name so I can see if we are related .Was your dad born in Dublin ? and grandparents originally from Tipperary ?
Its an unusual name so we have to have some link
Sheelagh Dunne

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 11:30PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. My fathers name is John Downes and his father was Christopher (Christy). They are both From Dublin. So it would seem we are indeed related!

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 11:40PM GMT
I think maybe Christopher and Thomas are brothers making you my Dads first cousin.

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 6:21PM GMT
If Christopher was married to Annie then he was my dads brother making him my uncle I knew him when I was a child I have been doing a lot of family research on the Downes /Billane history .My dad was one of nine boys as you probally know ,are you living in Dublin ? Have you been in touch with any more of the family I have a few contacts in the family but dont want to put details on open chat
Sheelagh

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 7:04PM GMT
Yes, my grandmother was Annie. I live in England as does my Dad. There are still quite a few relatives in Dublin and Dad and his brother visit regularly. It would be good to give you my email address but I'm not sure how to do this on here! And it would be great to see how far you've got with the family history. :-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions