Search for content in message boards

Stanaway family in Shullburg

Stanaway family in Shullburg

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stanaway
I am trying to find some information on James and Eleanor Stanaway (originally from Cornwall, England). I found them along with their daughter Caroline Stanaway (married ? Sterret), her daughter Elizabeth R. Sterret, their son James Giles Stanaway's family (although not James Giles Stanaway himself) in the 1851 census and 1860 census in Shullsburg. In 1860 there is a mortality schedule that shows James Sr died in January 1860. I contacted Lafayette County and they don't have a death record for James. I am hoping if I find where he is buried I might also find some of the family members. I thought I might also be able to find Caroline and her family (no trace in the 1870 census) and figure out what happened to them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? Thanks!

Re: Stanaway family in Shullburg

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 5:12PM GMT
Here is some information which may be helpful to your research.

Caroline Stanmay (spelling as found on the below website) married Andrew Sterrett 9 Nov 1847 in Lafayette Co. You can find their marriage informatipn at this website:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/

Andrew bought property in Lafayette Co. following their marriage.

U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907
View Record Name Issue Date Meridian State County Township Range Section

Andrew Sterrett 1 Sep 1848 4th PM - 1831 MN/WI Wisconsin Lafayette 1-N 2-E 3

Andrew Sterrett 1 Sep 1848 4th PM - 1831 MN/WI Wisconsin Lafayette 1-N 2-E 4

Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California), Tuesday Evening, 6 Sep 1904, Pg. 3
LIVED TO BE OVER ONE HUNDRED
STOCKTON -- September 6 -- James Stanaway, a respected resident of Linden, this county, passed away yesterday at the age of 101 years. The deceased leaves a number of children and grand-children. He was a stone mason by trade, but for a number of years had been doing nothing. Up to three months ago he was quaite active but ailments due to old age overtook lhim and cased his demise.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 7:10PM GMT
Here is some additional information. I couldn't find any Stanaways buried in WI. I don't think I can help any further. Happy hunting!

James Giles Stanaway is in California

1850; Census Place: Mathenias Creek, El Dorado, California; Roll: M432_34; Page: 352A; Image: 209

1860 United States Federal Census
Name: J Stanaway
Age in 1860: 45
Birth Year: abt 1815
Birthplace: England
Home in 1860: Diamond Springs, El Dorado, California
Post Office: Diamond Springs
Value of real estate:
Household Members:
Name Age
J Stanaway 45
E Stanaway 29
S Stanaway 20
J Stanaway 16
A Stanaway 15
G Stanaway 12
H E Stanaway 11
E Stanaway 11/12
Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Diamond Springs, El Dorado, California; Roll: M653_58; Page: 785; Image: 167; Family History Library Film: 803058.

1900; Census Place: Jenny Lind, Calaveras, California; Roll: 84; Page: 18B; Enumeration District: 0138; FHL microfilm: 1240084

He is buried in Milton Masonic Cemetery, Milton, Calaveras Co., CA. You can find his burial information at this site:

http://www.findagrave.com/

On ancestry.com you can find James Giles Stanaway living in both San Joaquin and Calaveras counties CA in the California Voter Registers. This is definitely him based on his naturalization information contained on the voter registration records images. He was naturalized in the Circuit Court, Lafayette Co., Darlington, WI.

U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project)
Name: James Stanaway
Birth Place: Great Britain
Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
Date of Action: 22 Sep 1852
Certificate No. Vol, 2, Page 42; 1852

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 8:23PM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2012 8:23PM GMT
Wow! Thanks Mike. You have found some interesting information in this post and the previous one! All of it is very helpful!! I really appreciate all of your help and the source information as well!
Alison
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions