Search for content in message boards

U.S., Newspaper Extractions from the Northeast, 1790-1930

U.S., Newspaper Extractions from the Northeast, 1790-1930

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 1:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Please post questions about this project on this thread.

Wiki article: http://www.ancestry.com/wiki/index.php?title=World_Archives_...

Happy keying!

Re: U.S., Newspaper Extractions from the Northeast, 1790-1930

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 1:05AM GMT
I'm having a problem keying the event type. For marriages, when I begin to type "M" the only event that comes from the dropdown box is 'Military'., and if I continue to type Marriage, the box turns red. There is no choice in the drop down box if I type Burial or Death, and typing them cause the box to turn red as well.

I find this strange, because the only acceptable events are supposed to be Marriage, Death or Burial.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 4:14AM GMT
Classification: Will
I'm having the same problem. It shows as red when I believe I've typed in the right type. It doesn't even show Death as an option when I type D.
The link at the start of this thread won't load and says it having technical difficulties.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 11:18AM GMT
The Event Type problem is already known to WAP and they are hoping to fix it soon; till then we have to key the Event Type in full and F7 it. But luckily it is then automatically copied down to all the other records on the page.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 12:30PM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2013 11:18PM GMT
When we see Ultimo or Instant as used in months, should we translate? I've only seen Ult so far. For those who don't know, Ultimo means preceding month and Instant means current month. I've been translating so far...

For example, published date Apr 1, 1849, person died on the 20th Ult. Translation: death date is Mar 20, 1849.

Edit: I have since found an example of Instant in a marriage record. Published date Oct 9, 1839, 3d int, so I keyed the published date of Oct 9, 1839 and the event date as Oct 3, 1839. Let me know if this is okay to do!

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:45PM GMT
Thanks for the replies about the event type. At least I know that I'm keying the field correctly.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 5:54PM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2013 6:00PM GMT
The Project Instructions do say "When there is no vital date, but the vital date can be reasonably calculated from the publication date with the information given in the entry, key the calculated date into the event date fields." Therefore I would key the date as given in your example.

I've found it quite helpful to have a historical calendar open for those examples that say eg "last Thursday".

Edited - I've just seen on the "Discussion" page of the Wiki for this project that maybe looking at historic calendar online is maybe going a step too far. I've keyed several of these so not sure whether the Reviewer will delete this or not.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 6:50PM GMT
Yes, it's kinda a "gray" area. I'll still key the months re: Ult. unless I hear otherwise. It's not like it takes a while to figure out the previous month either. Thanks for an answer!

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 8:31PM GMT
Another question: I have a funeral date but not a death or burial date. My thought is this person should be keyed any way. Do I assume funeral and burial the same date? Or do I just key death and the year or etc.?

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 5:14AM GMT
I have had this exact same thing and keyed it as a Burial date. Most funerals are held the same day of the burial.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions